Evangelion Bluray Re-release

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:26 pm

Great Genius Shinji-Sama wrote:Hmmm, Well, to be honest IMO a reanimation and prettier pictures is kinda what ROE is. :biii: Although admittedly the plot is tweaked a little and they have added a new character, it still pretty much is the Original NGE redone with new animation and what not. But are you talking like RoE or just touched up animation and not the fancy shiny bells and whistles graphics and CG theyre using on RoE like remastered or better art like they have in RoE, just not the revamped angels and strictly following original Canon up to EoE?

RoE is NOT NGE tweaked just a little

And by reanimated i mean its shot for shot scene for scene exactly the same... but with more detail maybe slight redesigned, i wouldnt complain having the angel designs from 1.0 for nge or the eva design for that matter, those are superficial. Adding things like that i would like to see, the simulation evas getting revamped for example.
Last edited by skikes on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:38 pm

yes I have. okay, but i honestly didnt have any qualms or complaints about the animation or anything in the original. But I dont know, maybe a remastering, like they do with old disney movies you mean(?) like the color and animation quality touched up or made to look better on DVD, please forgive me and just ignore if Im coming off as ignorant, but I am just assuming you mean remastering right? :redface: But for the newer times and modern times, maybe revamping to the Rebuild Angel and Eva designs might be nice, but personally I am content with my platinum copy of the Original series. And overall I was saying that the interviews and etc., would be the only extras i think would be worthy of spending extra money for another copy of NGE when I already have one.

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mongoosedog » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:57 pm

The platinum edition is a remastered version. I don't really think they need to reanimate the whole series just to include a few improvements to animation quality and character design. I really like the older animation style
The rebuild series has newer animation and a different story line so eva veterans get something new out of it, so i don't see the point in a new release of the old series.

I pick D!
I have no signature!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:49 pm

Merridian wrote:I'd probably be happy with the Renewal version released to blu-ray, seeing as how ADV's Platinum Collection vamped up brightness levels too much and blurred the shit out of everything. I'll be damned if these ultra-crisp screen shots I've seen online are from my Platinum Collection set.

Provided the video isn't getting raped by a DVD player's filters or something, Platinum looks almost exactly the same as Renewal (with the unfortunate addition of interlacing).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:45 am

Reichu wrote:Provided the video isn't getting raped by a DVD player's filters or something, Platinum looks almost exactly the same as Renewal (with the unfortunate addition of interlacing).

There are some progressive PAL releases of Platinum with slightly higher resolution and less compression artefacts than Renewal. Too bad they run slightly faster than the original at 25 fps.

I'll put online a screenshot comparison between them... sooner or later ;)

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:41 pm

I think they should do what's being done to Dragonball Z. You know, the whole Dragonball Kai shit. Retraced in HD. Cut out the filler(there isn't that much in Evangelion. I mean, there is filler, but not as much as other shows.). Maybe get a new cast for the english dub or bring in the Rebuild team.

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:28 pm

backseatjesus wrote:I think they should do what's being done to Dragonball Z. You know, the whole Dragonball Kai shit. Retraced in HD. Cut out the filler(there isn't that much in Evangelion. I mean, there is filler, but not as much as other shows.). Maybe get a new cast for the english dub or bring in the Rebuild team.

yes thats what im hoping for.... except for the filler part. just leave every scene as it was but in hd with afew redisigns.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:05 pm

backseatjesus wrote:Cut out the filler(there isn't that much in Evangelion. I mean, there is filler, but not as much as other shows.).

Technically there is no filler in NGE. There are episodes that felt like filler (4, 7, 11) but since NGE is not based on any manga there is nothing that should be cut out.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:11 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:There are episodes that felt like filler (4, 7, 11)

Calling #11 as "feels like filler" seems a bit extreme :toothy:

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:13 pm

I liked 11 but some stuff seemed to drag and the battle was like I blinked and I missed. Either that or I zoned out.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:33 pm

skikes wrote:What would you want from an evangelion bluray release?

A. The original NGE released to bluray.

By original, you mean the actual on air TV version or the so-called ON AIR version (with re-drawn scenes) for home video release?
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

tamashii
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tamashii » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:10 pm

D.

I watched Evangelion from the Platinum edition dvds, and the animation hasn't aged too badly, IMO.

RoE should work as a starting point for people to see if they are actually interested.
And whoever is should just check the original series out for themselves, as is.
Last edited by tamashii on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
had to put something in here, lol.

Evafan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Evafan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:30 pm

Wasn't platinum edition like screwed up visually? Something about the resolution and whatnot?

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:36 pm

LiLi wrote:
skikes wrote:What would you want from an evangelion bluray release?

A. The original NGE released to bluray.

By original, you mean the actual on air TV version or the so-called ON AIR version (with re-drawn scenes) for home video release?

no i meant the current remastered version... maybe a bad choice of words but i assumed people would understand after they read choice B.

i hadnt realised there was new footage from the on air version to the home releases other than directors cut with NPC and remastered dvds :/

was the original vhs release different from what was seen on Japanese television? if so could someone point me in the direction of an article detailing these.

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:37 pm

Either way I'm still going to get all of the rebuild movies when they come out. :thumbsup:
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:43 pm

skikes wrote: hadnt realised there was new footage from the on air version to the home releases other than directors cut with NPC and remastered dvds :/

was the original vhs release different from what was seen on Japanese television? if so could someone point me in the direction of an article detailing these.

:EDIT:

In my understanding, some of the re-drawn footage that appears in the DC versions was also copypasta'd in the so-called ON AIR versions at some point (e.g. elevator scene, Asuka looking at herself in the mirror). I think that's what's called the Renewal/Platinum edition of the DVDs?

I only have one Japanese VHS containing ep.25 and Air so I'm afraid I can't answer your question regarding that... However I seem to recall some earlier DVD releases supposedly contained the original TV footage, but none of those I have seem to.

I think I found the link illustrating changes to ep.22. It compares OA to DC but at least some of those re-animated scenes from the DC also appear in the Renewal Version of the OA episode.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episode_22_OA_vs._DC

I think there were some more minor edits to other episodes, but I couldn't provide a source.

I hope I didn't cause any unnecessary confusion...

As for answeringthequestion, I'd probably pick A (remastered to suit HD format from the original source).
Last edited by LiLi on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

Re: Evangelion Bluray Re-release

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:51 pm

I'd go with A.
A bluray release with commentary/production notes and maybe some CG clean up and what not would be cool.

As for the animation of the original series; its aged just fine. It's still better then a lot of crap I see today even with the variations and budget drawbacks on certain episodes and scenes.

The entire world seems to think that the prettier and shinier and more hyped up something is, the better it must be. If you've seen Transformers 2 you realize what this American-style mentality can do to a film. As for anime references regarding that; just watch virtually anything that's come out in the last 5 years. CG and flashy special effects > characters/plot

As awesome as a 'Rebuild' of the original series would be, I view it as totally unnecessary. It's not broken so don't try to fix it. Rebuild 1.0 is good enough for me.

Also, would Evangelion 2.0 be even half as interesting if you knew almost exactly what was going to happen next as soon as the credits for 1.0 rolled by?
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:24 pm

I'd say that a Blu-Ray release would be bad.

I would have to go out and get a blu-ray player and an hd tv then. :(

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:18 pm

LiLi wrote:In my understanding, some of the re-drawn footage that appears in the DC versions was also copypasta'd in the so-called ON AIR versions at some point (e.g. elevator scene, Asuka looking at herself in the mirror). I think that's what's called the Renewal/Platinum edition of the DVDs?

Long story short, Renewal/Platinum doesn't have the real OAs for 21 and 22. You have to buy an earlier release to see those OAs with their original footage intact. But most of the original footage is so ugly, only the diehards would want to see it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:47 am

Reichu wrote:Long story short, Renewal/Platinum doesn't have the real OAs for 21 and 22. You have to buy an earlier release to see those OAs with their original footage intact. But most of the original footage is so ugly, only the diehards would want to see it.

Yes, yes, exactly! (Though I haven't seen the original ugly!footage for ep.21, I'll trust your word on it based on ep.22... ) But I'm curious about that sort of thing... Alas, I guess our local releases are the same as the Platinum... ;)

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”