Ten Favorite Eva Moments?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:03 am

ok, i re-watched the whole series this weekend. (eh, i had forgotten how... forgettable the jet alone episode is. but whoo! take a drink every time gendo tells fuyutsuki-sensei to "take care of things for him"-- you'll be good and sloshed before Asuka even gets to tokyo-3!) i am now, as it always happens, thoroughly confused all over again. still, through the befuddled haze that is my brain atm, i managed to pick out my favorite moments. so here you go, pics and everything:

10. "if you must think, do it in german!" / "ok, i'll try: bratwurst, strudel..."
Asuka strikes!

ok, ok, it's very, very silly but everytime i think back to episode 8 i just think about this bit and giggle :chuckles: such an Asuka thing to say, and such a Shinji thing to do. it was just hilarious :toothy:

09. "you won't die. i'll protect you."
Rei II

(yeah, yeah, the pic isn't exactly this scene, but it was the closest i could find...) this is the moment that really defined Rei for me. yes, she would later smile at Shinji and start the upwards curve of character development, but it was this moment, this line, that really made me see Rei as more than... someone who was just there.

08. Asuka's mind rape
don't be

this scene, mostly the director's cut version of it, is one of the best done scenes in the whole of the series. not only in terms of the script itself but the art, the imagery-- it's truly a glimpse into a broken mind. oh, and every time i hear her say "you won't even hold me!" and then "so look at me!" just... good god, it never fails to hit me like a baseball bat to the stomach.

07. Misato's confession to Kaji, Asuka & Shinji's kiss
those women longed for the touch of other's lips, and thus invited their kisses

i know, my image doesn't necessarily match because i was going to have #7 be the whole episode... truth be told, this episode is just awesome from start to finish. in a sense it's kind of the beginning of the end, isn't it? everything from 16 on is just going downhill.

if i had to choose a moment, though it would be Misato's confession to Kaji-- that was just such a hard-hitting conversation, it taught me a lot about both of them not only as a couple but as individuals, as well. it made me understand where Misato's coming from, something i hadn't really thought about until that point. i was trying to find a screencap from this scene but google fails so hard... :shakehead:

Asuka & Shinji's disastrous kiss is a close second for best scene of the episode-- mainly because the whole "wanna kiss me?"/"but-but whyyyy??" think never fails to make me LMAO :rofl: but also because it tells me something about Asuka: she's not only doing these things to tease Shinji... there's a lot more to it than that.

06. unit 01 eats zeruel
introjection

LOL, i just noticed i used the same cap nick used in the first post :tongue: episode 19 was, both fortunately and unfortunately, the first complete episode of NGE i ever saw. i say unfortunately because i swear, i had nightmares for weeks-- gosh, the image of unit 01 going on all fours and pouncing on zeruel, and then it starts breaking and tearing and pulling and then it just looks up from over its shoulder, big, bright round eyes shining in the dark like some kind of wild animal... well, it's enough to give chills to the bravest person in the world, and i'm certainly not that person. but then it was fortunate that i caught precisely that episode, because it set the tone for what was to come and it was what told me "ok, i have to watch this series."

05. "kimochi warui."
one more final: i need you

i just don't think you can get a more perfect ending than EoE. it was soul-crushing yet hopeful at the same time, and it lets you know that no, things aren't alright and they aren't supposed to be alright, but at least you exist, and so you have the chance to try and make it alright. it's not gonna be easy, but it's your choice if you want to take it. that's what i got from that last scene and it's a message that i think is gonna stay with me forever. it's as close to perfection as i can think, at least plot-wise.

04. Asuka vs. the MP evas
love is destructive

from the moment unit 02 emerges from the lake holding up that battleship, to the point she goes berserker and gets lanced, it was the most adrenaline-pumping scene ever. i classify it as one of the best, if not the best fight scene ever, and that's saying a lot because i usually don't like fight scenes. when she yells that she's got 12000 plates of armor and her AT field protecting her so she can't lose, i swear i stood up and cheered. :yippee: i still feel like standing up and cheering when i re-watch it. it's just an all-out awesome sequence.

03. unit 01 awakens
love is destructive

unit 01 bursting out of the pyramid and spreading it's phantasmagoric wings while dark clouds of dust all but howl around it-- HOCRAP, it's satan incarnate. :scared: this image, i think, will forever be seared in my mind. i don't really have words to express how astonished i was by this part.

02. THE pause
the beginning of the end, or "knocking on heaven's door"

over a minute. over a FREAKIN' minute. do you know how many times a person can keep themselves from shaking their TV within that period? too many. in retrospect it kind of makes sense what with the budget cuts and everything, but still... that was the point where i first went (and still go) "ok, this man is a fucking genius." and that was that :thumbsup:

01. the whole of episode 21
he was aware that he was still a child

yes, yes, i'm sorry reichu, i fail :hide: episode 21 will always be my favorite episode of the series, and that's mainly for one reason: we got some answers. yes, we got about 800x more questions as well, but hey, at least it's something!

if i have to choose one scene, though-- no, i still can't. i'll narrow it down to two:

first, the scene where yui meets fuyutsuki for the first time. i don't know what it is about that scene, but i clearly remember that it was the first time i found myself going "okay, there's something freakin' creepy about that woman." this was the first time i actually got to see her and not just everybody else's image of her.

and second-- of course-- Kaji's message. this is, IMO, the single most heart-wrenching scene i've seen so far in any anime/manga. whenever i remember him going "if i see you again, i'll say the words i couldn't say eight years ago," oh, it just breaks my heart every. single. time. and Misato sobbing, and Shinji not being able to do anything for her... as far as themes go, this was "you won't even hold me" multiplied by over 9000. :crybaby:

honorable mentions-- my list of "favorite moments" originally had 17, so these are the ones that didn't make the cut but are still amazing:

_"that's the viewing fee!": what a memorable way to make an entrance, really. plus i love how the words "Asuka strikes!" appear on title screen in tandem with her slaps :hitthetable:
_the sync training: just hilarious. enough said.
_asuka's plan in episode 11: very smart. very smart. she wanted to be the leader and she kinda was, wasn't she?
_unit 02 vs. zeruel: the arms get cut off and blood spurts out... and then off goes the head... i don't like to see Asuka lose but the art was absolutely outstanding here.
_unit 01 rejects the dummy plug: come on, say it with me, y'all: HAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! YOU SUCK, GENDO! :pointlaugh:
_the alternate reality in episode 26: yeah, i'm a sucker for the fluff. and it was nice to see these kids as they could've been had their lives not been so massively screwed up from the beginning.

and... ok, that's it. i swear. :sweatdrop:

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:22 am

what's up with those colours carla? X____X

Evafan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Evafan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:36 pm

I'll list 5 because I'm a bit too lazy

5. Shinji vs Nerv

Shinji attempting an attack on Nerv after toji was massacred by the dummy plug, although it was briefly and anti climactic, I remember it as Shinji standing up for once as a man.

4. Ep 19.

I think that's self explanatory.

3. Asuka vs MP Evas

Momma and Daughter whoop fest I loved it. Asuka ina crazy battle psyche, it was really something. Powerful ending too. I shed tears not going to lie. :asuka_sad:

2. Kom Susser Tod EoE

That iconic "tumbling down, tumbling down" just sticks with me. I had to put at least #2. I was watching this ina complete state of shock, I couldn't begin to fathom what was happening, and I didn't want to. I just wanted to continue watching. Everything was ending and everything was beginning.It was sad, and yet happy at the same time since most everybody welcomed the sweet release with a smile. It was just beautifully done.

1. Dance like you want to win

Okay shoot me. I'm an A/S Shipping sucker and this delivered right on the mark. It was also (to me) the end of an era. Soon things we're going to take turns for the worst, and moments like these we're just a thing of the past. I was so ecstatic to see acrobatic feats performed by the evas with the song. It was dare I say it? Like a ballet, only if ballet had guns, and more ass kicking. It was a tearful moment in the happiest of ways, whenever I rewatch the series I get a pit of sadness in my stomach wishing moments like those could last a bit longer.

Edit:Honorable Mention: End of EoE

Everything from the Yui speech in space to the strangling and cheek caressing scene at the very end. I really don't know how I feel about it I couldn't place it anywhere numerically but it's a big moment for me. It's a happy ending, and at the same time it's not. I loved the ending for sure, but it's a weird sort of love.

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mongoosedog » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Evafan wrote:2. Kom Susser Tod EoE

That iconic "tumbling down, tumbling down" just sticks with me. I had to put at least #2. I was watching this ina complete state of shock, I couldn't begin to fathom what was happening, and I didn't want to. I just wanted to continue watching. Everything was ending and everything was beginning.It was sad, and yet happy at the same time since most everybody welcomed the sweet release with a smile. It was just beautifully done.

I had the same reaction, that scene was so beautifully done and yeah, exactly how you described. It makes me want to watch EoE right now :')
I have no signature!

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:56 pm

Xard wrote:what's up with those colours carla? X____X

LOL, sorry about that! was tinkering with photoshop at the same time i was typing the post up so i thought "ah, what the heck!" but i can see how the coloring may not be for everybody. (and the LQ didn't help much either). :rolleyes:

Evafan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Evafan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:05 pm

carla wrote:
Xard wrote:what's up with those colours carla? X____X

LOL, sorry about that! was tinkering with photoshop at the same time i was typing the post up so i thought "ah, what the heck!" but i can see how the coloring may not be for everybody. (and the LQ didn't help much either). :rolleyes:

I thought 09 was pretty :thumbsup: Suits Rei's color scheme.

Adekis
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Adekis » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:55 pm

5: Unit 1 kicks the angel's ass back to the stone age in episode two.
Awesome.

4: Congratulations!
I really liked EoTV.

3: AU from EoTV. It was cute. And Rei had Toast.

2: Kaworu tells Shinji he loves him. Awww.

1: The scene in episode 19 where Shinji bursts through the wall in the Eva, and uses the launch pad to get the angel above ground. Even if it ended with the Eva eating the angel, the scene that led into that gave me exactly one impression of Shinji.

I'll add more later, but I haven't seen the show in a while, and I don't even remember some of the moments people here are saying. When I rewatch, I will add the other five.
"Why do you foolish Lilin assume you can control me? 'Cause you can't control me!" - My take on the relationship between SEELE and Kaworu
"[Eva] is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little." - Hideaki Anno

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 am

What is " a moment"?

A scene?

A sequence?

A single shot?

Some couple of seconds moment like e.g Eva-01 destroys Bardiel's head with da fist?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:13 am

Xard wrote:What is " a moment"?
A sequence would probably work. Probably less than a whole scene unless the scene is short. I really don't want to get into semantics about what constitutes a sequence VS scene.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

alabaster
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby alabaster » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:31 pm

After I rewatch the show, I'll be able to better make a list. But, I love the moments you guys have chosen.

AVman9
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby AVman9 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:49 am

Hmmmm.....I'm going to be a rebel and go for top 11.

#11: Rei smiles. This is the only happy thing on my list. But it deserves praise. Kinda makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

#10: Unit 01 feasts. Does this really need explanation?

#9: Hit 'em again. The brutality of the SSDF soldiers is unmatched.

#8: Is Shinji Ikari gonna have to choke a bitch? Yes he is going to. But didn't we all want to, anyways?

#7: <<<My avatar.

#6: Sever the left arm. Rei feels the burn as Gendo once again DGAFs about the pilot's level of pain tolerance

#5: I don't want to die. Said upwards of 30 times by everyone's favorite German redhead before her maggot-ridden corpse is flashed across the screen.

#4: Ultra-Mega Spike Spencer Shinji Scream. Shinji trips balls as he views the remains of Unit 02.

#3: Asuka's Death. The experience of watching Unit 02 being pulled apart by it's intestines as Asuka bleeds from her left eye and writhes in unimaginable pain cannot be matched.

#2: Asuka tears the Eva Production Series a new one. Words cannot describe the way my sick little mind felt when Unit 02 cracked one open like some sort of crustacean and blood poured like a waterfall over it's own head. SLAAAAUUUUGHTERRRRRED! The facial expressions on Asuka's face are the pure image of complete insanity. The use of Bach's orchestral Air in D Major was simply perfect for the situation as well.

#1: The decimation of Unit 03. The tidal wave of blood and brain matter released from its head was among the most awesome things I have ever seen. And just when I thought it couldn't get any better, Unit 01 continues to pound it to bloody pieces and finally CRUSHES THE ENRTY PLUG. WITH THE PILOT STILL IN IT. YEAAAAAH :evillaugh:
Take a wild guess at what the AV means....
Adult Video? -The Eva Monkey

You raise the blade...
You make the change...
You rearrange me 'till I'm sane...

Archon Eva
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archon Eva » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:01 am

10. Ep 10, when Shinji readies the A.T feild.
Inspiring. Thats is all.
9. When Rei is being walked past on the hospital bed in ep 2
First time i had ever felt empathy for someone.
8. Ep 16, when eva 01 comes out of the shadow of the angel(I cant remember the spelling).
It showed me that things are never as they seem.
7. Ep 6 when Shinji is firing at Ramiel
He just looked so nervous, then realised that someone was protecting him.
6. EP 18 at the end when Shinji see touji.
I thought that Shinji was going to force open the entry plug, hop out and kick everyone in the nuts,
5. Ep 23, Rei is being attacked, and self destructs.
I loved that scene. Shinji's hope fading, Rei dying, Rei caring about people. And Misato saying "Rei, do you want to die?"
4. When Rei is inEva 00 in ep 6. When she smiles.
I saw something i had never seen before. The hopeless with hope.(I don't care that she is hope, this is what i knew at the time).
3. Ep 19 ending.
Just plain old brilliant, so many more questions were raised.
2. In ep 26 when Shinji has the appifiny that he can love himself, and everyone is clapping saying "omedetou"
That scene gave me a hope which i had lost many a year ago..
1. Definetly, tumbling down. I bought the sound track mainly for that song(and cruel angel's thesis).
The scene was excellent and the music matched so perfectly.
In mans own ignorance to find god, we destroyed him. Only to spend the rest of existance trying to recreate him.

Mello
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mello » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:53 pm

okay...here it goes

10: at the ramen stand after the battle with sahaquiel, showing how different Rei and Asuka really are

9:Shinji on the phone with gendo *fail*

8:Misato gunning down the jsdf guys in EoE, showing how badass she really is

7: Misato and Shinji's morning rituals... it's so quaint in comparison to everything else

6: Gendo...doing the gendo pose....anytime during the series

5: that crazy look on Shinji's face as he's fighting zeruel

4: ritsuko's utter breakdown at the end of ep.23

3: the alternate reality sequence in ep. 26[especially the ad-lib by gendo's english voice actor "she who must be obeyed"

2: gendo and fuyutsuki ep.11 "it's hot" .... "yes"

1: pen-pen's reaction after eating Misato's cooking...priceless
"I don't have to be careful, I've got a gun"

Marzan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marzan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:32 pm

I agree with so many of the moments people here have chosen...

But going back to the first time I saw EVA (on VHS tapes a long, long time ago) the moments that I remember the most were the scenes that were composed with absolute stillness.

Shinji/Misato at the station
Rei/Asuka in the lift
Kaworu being held in Eva 01 hand

Those kinds of moments made EVA completely different and much more sophisticated that anything else I had seen up to that point. Particularly Rei/Asuka on the lift; the silence between the two is absolutely deafening and the scene just goes on and on...
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mongoosedog » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:26 pm

10 In 'Both of You Dance Like You Want to Win' when Asuka gets up to go to the toilet and the second she opens the door Shinji pretends to fall asleep

9 Shinji's scream when he see's Unit 01's eye regenerate after the first angel battle

8 Shinji yelling at his father to stop during the fight with Unit 03

7 Shinji and Asuka's kiss

6 Rei's smile

5 When Shinji is in the hospital and Rei replies to him with "good for you"

4 Kaworu saying "I'm saying, i love you"

3 Shinji's scream in EoE when he sees a mutilated Unit 02

2 The entire scene of Shinji and Asuka on the shore in EoE

1 In EoE when Shinji starts choking Asuka and Komm Susser Todd starts (the whole scene is just brilliantly done, you feel so much from Shinji instead of just his stagnant depression)
I have no signature!

SgtNeonGenEvangelion
Embryo

Top 10

•      
  •      

Postby SgtNeonGenEvangelion » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:43 pm

10.The fail synchro of Asuka but perfect Rei
9.The Proton Rifle Sniper Beam
8.Destruction of angel Gaghiel
7."Sever the left arm"
6.Shinji and Asuka Kiss
5.Eva 01 Berserker
4.Misato's generic beer mornings
3.Eva 01 Demolishes Eva 03
2.Toji flashes Asuka "HERE'S YOUR CHANGE!" Then Gets Beat up :pwnd:
1.When Eva's 01 and 02 are stuck upside down in the water and ground
Neon Genesis Evangelion

GIECO MONEY
__O__O__
l___l_l___l

UltraBlackPilot
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby UltraBlackPilot » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:34 pm

This is the best list I've ever read, worth the five minutes to read.
Currently dying of love overdose.
It hurts.

Marzan
Adam

Re: Top 10

•      
  •      

Postby Marzan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:03 pm

SgtNeonGenEvangelion wrote:10.The fail synchro of Asuka but perfect Rei

2.Toji flashes Asuka "HERE'S YOUR CHANGE!" Then Gets Beat up :pwnd:
d

Definitely a top, top moment for the series!
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

cogitoergosum
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby cogitoergosum » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:06 pm

10. It's Lukewarm, Indeed
This scene from episode 12 occurs when Maya comments to Ritsuko that the commanders don't seem to be affected by the heated climate. It's rare to have comic relief from two characters like Gendo and Fuyutsuki.

9. The worldwide collection of souls
The collection of souls occurs in EoE. It's the elimination of individual personalities and yet it looks so beautiful.

8. I'll show you how it's done.
Episode 16. Asuka taunts Shinji by telling him that the number one child should be the one to first charge in against the angel. Shinji tells her that he'll go and show her how it's done. This scene is rare as it show Shinji for once being brave.

7. Asuka’s Intro.
Episode 8. Not just is this introduction comic but it is also a very important moment in Evangelion. To me the addition of Asuka into the main cast changed the entire feeling of the show.

6. Asuka kisses Shinji.
Episode 15. AsukaxShinji is my favorite couple not just in the show but also possibly my favorite anime couple. This is an important moment in the relationship.

5. Shinji sees Toji being taken from the wreckage of the entry plug.
Episode 18. I like the way Shinji reacts and how he threatens his father with the destruction of Nerv.

4. Rei's Poem
Episode 14. Here we get a lot of info on Rei's psychology. The evageeks wiki page: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Rei%27s_Monologue was very helpful to me in understanding the monologue.

3. Ep.26 ending
Shinji actually smiles. It kind of feels like a happy ending. I think.

2. EoE ending
This scene can be interpreted in many different ways. I like to take an optimistic point of view. The fact that Asuka caresses Shinji's cheek means that the two characters can actually reconcile and maybe even live happily ever after?

1. Sandbox Scene
EoE. This may seem like a strange choice for number one. However the importance of this scene is that it shows how Shinji has been living his life. He is capable of erecting a pyramid all by himself, however he has no one to share with and destroys the pyramid in despair. I see the scene as a metaphor that teaches me that without other people, human beings are incapable of creating goals or giving any meaning to their lives.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. -Friedrich Nietzsche-

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:12 pm

not in any order, here are some

1. Asuka Mindrape - Specifically the Hallelujah chorus

2. ENEMY sequence in the salvage episode

3. Kaworu's Monologue

4. Sandbox

5. Asuka v MPs

6. EvadevoursZereul

7. 24 Pause

8. Rei's getting destroyed in Guf (my favorite possibly)
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”