[LAEM] Should ELAM be shot entirely in front of green screen

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Winslow Leach
Adam

Should ELAM be shot entirely in front of green screens?

Postby Winslow Leach » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:03 pm

It's been a recent trend to shoot movies with the actors entirely in front of green screens and then add in the backgrounds, sets and visual effects by computer in post production. Some of the films shot in this style include Sky Captian and the World of Tomorrow, Casshern, Sin City as well as a fair amount of Revenge of the Sith. It manages to keep the budget lower while creating some truly breathtaking images. Needless to say, I was very impressed with the looks all of the films I just mentioned, especially Sin City, which was only made for around $50 million yet looked like it cost several times that in terms of imagery. So should Evangelion live action be shot in that style? Part of me says yes, the other part of me is not so sure. Maybe the film would look more authentic with some real sets mixed with some green screen filming. I have a feeling if the film is made, Weta will probably do the later like they did with Lord of the Rings.
Last edited by Winslow Leach on Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SSGokuJr
Embryo

Postby SSGokuJr » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:56 pm

I don't know if they will do that cus I saw in Anime Insider that they bild 100 Ft replicas of the Evas and I don't think that they would just let them go to waste.

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby rip3mwk » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:05 pm

I damn near despise films shot fully in green screen. Sky Captain looked awful in terms of special effects, casshern also had terrible green screen use - yet some scenes were very convincing and amazingly beautiful, Sith: same deal as Sky simply better digital effects and Sin City was valid for it's want to look like a comic book.
Not to mention that actors tend to have trouble putting any emotion into their performance when in a giant green room (Star Wars 2 and 3 anyone?), and we all know that this film will need great acting.
I say pull of what LotR accomplished and the deal will sail well. Mix and match bigatures, miniatures, on location shooting, sets, and green screen what must be green screened.
This is only my opinion though.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Space Penis » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:36 pm

rip3mwk wrote: (Star Wars 2 and 3 anyone?)

To be fair, most of the actors seemed to find their stride in RotS.

I say that greenscreen should only be used when nescerrcery. Since Eva doesn't take place that far in the future everyything doesn't have to be super-advanced like in SW. The generic corridors of NERV, for example, could just be done normally, as could some of the control rooms. Stuff like the Eva cages though, would need greenscreen.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby anatrok » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:00 am

SSGokuJr wrote:I don't know if they will do that cus I saw in Anime Insider that they bild 100 Ft replicas of the Evas and I don't think that they would just let them go to waste.

WTF is you on boy, obviously all the DBZ and Gundam Wing has gone to your head....Weta only made design sketches, as in picktures on paper.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:17 pm

Greenscreen and CG are very dangerous. It takes very, very talented actors to be able to put on a convincing performance without visual reference points. If the script calls for the actors to actually interact with the scenery, it's near-on impossible. Just look at how sterile the last few Star Wars movies have been.

CG is usually much less real in appearance then traditional model-based effects combined with CG, as was used in Lord of the Rings. Blade Runner's effects are far better than those of many movies that followed it, for instance. Whether Evangelion live-action should strive for realism or a stylized look like Sky Captain is a question I'd rather not address right now.[/i]

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby rip3mwk » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:36 pm

CG is usually much less real in appearance then traditional model-based effects combined with CG, as was used in Lord of the Rings. Blade Runner's effects are far better than those of many movies that followed it, for instance.

I am in total agreeance.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:27 am

I believe that the emotional and social elements of Evangelion would feel slightly out of place in a faux-world, particularly when the purpose of such has been to create environments that never take off their whore makeup. Tactile characters crave tactile environments.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:32 pm

You need reals sets. Otherwise everything ends up looking like something from the cutscenes from Command and Conquer: Red Alert. Very wooden.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Iblis 19th Angel
Adam

Postby Iblis 19th Angel » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:05 pm

Well, I don't see how they'd pull off most of NERV HQ otherwise. They'd need real sets for the normal places, though. The school, the city streets, the apartment, etc. No point in using CGI for those, really.
2:34 And behold, We said to the angels: "Bow down to Adam" and they bowed down. Not so Iblis: he refused and was haughty: He was of those who reject Faith.

Giant robots with angels trapped inside of them,
Teenaged pilots & an evil organization,
Doing battle with giant monsters from beyond,
Mankind's last hope lies in the Evangelions

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”