Sign if you're hoping for a happy ending.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
quixote77
Embryo

Sign if you're hoping for a happy ending. [Spoilers]

•      
  •      

Postby quixote77 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:38 am

I know there are a million ways for the Rebuild series to end in absolute tragedy, but for some reason, my fingers are still crossed for a happier ending.

Now before you direct me to the nearest Peggy Sue fanfic allow me to explain.

I was originally skeptical about the Rebuild series, I believed it was just a way for Gainax to milk more money out of the beloved franchise and would simply be a smoother reanimated Death & Rebirth-esque mashup. Then I read that there was the possiblity of a new ending and new content.

So I watched the first Rebuild and left dissapointed, things seemed to be keeping themselves on the beaten path to another End of Evangelion. (the anime movie that broke my heart)

The preview did little to inspire any real hope, and I waited a year for 2.0, and nothing.

I forgot about it for a while, then a trailer for it showed up, alerting me to when it would show.

There were things on the trailer I was intrigued by: EVA 05, the new angel, Mari, Zeruel, etc.

I watched it a week after it premiered, I won't say how, and I felt good afterwards.

Seeing all that action, drama, and character development (especially with Rei and Shinji) left me fairly optimistic toward the series once more.

Imagine my surprise when I return to the Forum to discover, people are decidedely not as happy about the movie as I was.

I keep reading about how Rebuild is some high-budget fanfiction, how it will all end in tears, how Shinji will screw up, etc.

That was disconcerting...

So this is a small haven of sorts, to those that hold a small vestige of hope, that the characters of this series get the ending they deserve, instead of the ending they got.

Feel free to sign, or not, if you think they can escape the Tange.

:wink: :pwnd: ;)
"So a MISSadventure isn't a regular adventure with more single women? Damn, well I'm red in the face..."

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:25 am

Um, well It looks nicer at first but don't think it's that simple: Things already seem to be nearly as bad as they were in EoE
SPOILER: Show
And as I said in the Sequell thread Rei and Shinji have already been lost(With Shinji already into his MADestructive abandonment fits), and Asuka tainted so I don’t think any of them can come back normal.
It would just be strange if everything Anno’s been building up was abandoned and they gave us fluff in Q.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:01 pm

See this thread for discussion on the subject: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=7365 (Warning, spoilers).

Also, modly comment: Please remember to tag threads as spoilers or spoiler-free in the future, see this thread for more details: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=6660&start=0
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:05 pm

Don't follow you reasoning here, SSD-chan.

This thread is about the overall narrative flow; the other is about whether the characters are being realised in a substantially different fashion (which doesn't preclude an "everybody dies"/On the Beach style ending).

Voting to re-open.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:08 pm

It seemed too similar to me (judgment call and such).

Feel free to re-open if you really want.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

DEMOLITION D+
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby DEMOLITION D+ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:48 pm

They already got what they deserved. Throughout the entires series we all know of their mental, social, physical, and emotional problems. EoE was a climax to those traits and showed off and ended each character's journey (even if their ends were subtle and not directly made apparent) accordingly.

The End of Evangelion is, and always will be one of the best pieces of cinema ever developed. While some will disagree... I don't care, haha. Anyway, if Rebuild did end "Heppy," well then shoot, I would be fine with it. But honestly, Anno had better have something up his sleeve because a happy ending is going to be hard to pull off while retaining that Evangelion feel.

Maybe a sort of neutral ending would suffice? Where a lot of bad and good balance each other out in a sort of Purgatory of Evangelion feeling near the end. I would be fine with that as well. And of course I would be just fine with a tragedy :D

Just my two cents

And SSD, sorry if I sounded rude. But see, I told ya this wasn't really that lockworthy :P
The Fate of Destruction, is Also the Joy of Rebirth

Kaji has cute melons.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:05 pm

I do not want a happy ending.

I want there to be blood, death, Gendo getting munched on, and no happiness for anyone.

That is all.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:08 pm

I want to see people on a blue ball saying congratulations!
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:12 pm

BLUE BALL = BLUE SOUL= = BLOOD TYPE BLUE = WE WERE TRICKED

They're all standing on an Angel, thus it wasn't a happy ending.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Evafan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Evafan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:30 pm

I hope for a happy ending in the way EoE had a happy one (IMO.) Sure everything went crazy, but Yui more or less did say as long as you trudge on there will be a path to happiness.

So happy ending but not flat in your face happily ever after ending.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:36 pm

This is True. But still. %99.99999999999999992 of mankind was wiped out by an emotionally screwed up 14 year old boy.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

NGERA
Embryo

Re: Sign if you're hoping for a happy ending. [Spoilers]

•      
  •      

Postby NGERA » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:32 pm

quixote77 wrote:So this is a small haven of sorts, to those that hold a small vestige of hope, that the characters of this series get the ending they deserve, instead of the ending they got.
To a happy ending! :ritsuko_mug:
But he kept silent and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, saying to him, "are you Christ, the Son of the Blessed?"
Jesus said, "I am. And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven."
Mark 14:61-62, NKJV

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:32 am

I'd go for a happier ending rather than having the bleak EoE ending.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:14 am

fuck hell no. Last thing I want is giddy giddy ReiXShinji-kun forever shitty shit ^_____________^

if that's how RoE ends there'll be massive lulz in this house...

My favoured ending?

Original Last B scenario

just reading about is soul crushing so of course I want to see it animated.

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:06 am

Ending RoE the NGE:Angelic Days style,
that one would send me over the edge of sanity and insanity...
with the thought,
the hell Anno is thinking!?

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lagann » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:41 am

Having a happy ending in EoE would have undermined everything Anno was trying to say.Instead of choosing a fantasy world where you get everything you want,Shinji chose to live in reality.Even though he would get hurt,it was still reality where he had the chance to be happy by progressing. Its all acording to which way Rebuld goes.I want whatever ending will end the story best.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:03 am

Because I'm nasty bastard who wants to further traumatize ppl unaware of LAST B:

first, clip of LAST A (on which ending was based on with chunk of Last B's feel)

You already know the beginning of this one (a beach, petrified headless Evas, etc).
Thew, we see the graves Shinji made (it's stated by Anno it was _he_ who made them). The names of all main Eva characters are written on them, except for "Ayanami Rei".
We then see Asuka's grave.
And Asuka's foot kicking it to the ground. ^^;

bla bla rest doesn't matter, now to true shit:

It begins like the previous one, but Asuka doesn't show up in the "graves scene".
We then see Shinji lying on the beach.
His right hand is holding a white one.
"I'll never see them again."
"It's better to think of it this way."
"I'm still alive, so I'll keep on living."
He squeezes the hand harder.
Then, he sees Rei (like in the actual episode and Last A).
We eventually see that there is nobody lying near Shinji. Just a white arm without the rest of the body.
The camera then shows the full moon.
The ending credits are the same as in Last A.

I really don't know what I would've done if movie had ended like this

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:16 am

^
I could enjoy a not excessively soul destroying ending, if the buildup leading to said ending entices me enough. There is no universal criteria on what is "bad" and what is "good".

So just because the ending would turn out to be darker than the bottom of a coal mine, i wouldn't immediately declare it to be "good".

Why, i'm not averse to anything: if Anno decides the ending to be RxS, so be it.

But i do think that their relationship has to go through some hooks and crosses before the conclusion. So far, it's been progressing so smoothly, it's almost boring. A bitter end isn't a must, but without conflict, there is no story.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:07 am

anno: "ah, fuck it. ROCKS FALL. EVERYONE DIES.

...wait, that would not be much different from the first time around, would it? only it wasn't rocks falling, but random giant naked Rei body parts.

hmmm. puzzling. seems like i'm actually gonna have to think up something new. damn it."

:hitthetable:

that point made, i have to say i'm not averse to a happy ending, though i think there's no way there will be a 100% happy ending. the characters are so messed up, it's always gonna be bittersweet at best.

now, whether it's bittersweet in the "well, i'm leading a fairly happy life even though my father couldn't reconcile with the idea of never seeing my mother again so our relationship was still strained even as he died... i wish there could've been something i could do to help him" way, or bittersweet in the "sure, every single person in the world got turned into a puddle of stinky red goo because of me, but hey, at least i learned my lesson and look, they can still come back if they want to!" way, well... that's debatable.

i don't really care how it will all end, so long as it's done in a poignant, well-presented way that gives it some sort of longevity. but overall i'm not too worried-- mostly because i don't particularly believe they'll be able to top EoE (not that this is a competition. i'm just sayin') and i'll always be perfectly satisfied witn EoE as TEH ending of the series, so this time i'll just take anything they give me as long as it's not unbearably sweet.

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:16 am

Nope. It just wouldn't very Evangelion to have a happy happy joy joy ending. A semi-happy at the most would be okay.

I would prefer this ending as a semi-happy one.

Third Impact ends like it did in NGE, except Unit-01 is still able to be piloted by Shinji because this time Shinji's soul gets trapped in Unit-01 and the S2 is active. Gendo comes out of the LCL sea, and Shinji stomps on him. When Gendo re-imagines himself again, Shinji stomps on the new Gendo again, again, and again, stomping Gendos for eternity. The rest of civilization and the other characters come back, and Shinji in Unit-01 stomping on Gendo becomes like a natural landmark, like Old Faithful or something. Shinji's face is sillouetted against Unit-01's, and he is smiling, having the time of his life.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”