[Film] Most satisfying movie you have seen recently

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:09 pm

Yeah, just held a friendly showing of CORALINE in our studio. We tried the 3-D and it actually is similar to the one in the theaters we just couldn't get over the pink & green effect on the image. We missed the colors.
So we watched it, projected large in 2D

Aaaaahhhh. So far it's between Coraline & UP as my favorite movie of the year (not counting Evangelion 2.0 in the list yet cause...well, a camrip isn't really seeing the movie)

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:51 pm

Watchmen (director's cut): One the favorite movie of 09 without a doubt and the DC is a big update to the normal version. Most stuff remove from the book like Keene Act was added into it. Their was more dialogue that fleshes out the scenes that already existed. The theatrical version placing was way too fast while this version is much better.

I give it a 89%/100%
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

NickFury90
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby NickFury90 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:17 am

Watched like half a dozen Lupin the III films recently. Castle of Cagilistro is still my fave, but the Fuma Conspiracy and Farewell to Nostradamus are close runner ups. And the dubs weren't half bad either.
"I can't agree with people who believe the mole under Ritsuko's eye represents her fear of inadequacy or some other crap"
Captain_Morgan, on Neon Genesis Evangelion

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby OKdesuKA » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:07 am

I watched the latest Harry Potter flick (lol I know) with a friend of mine, I have to admit.. Half Blood Prince was my favorite book of the lot. They cut out so many important and vital scenes. I am talking about HUGE clues that would have helped him in the next movie.

Not just that but they sacrificed all of this for more character fan service and laughs. Some of those were pretty funny at times, but like I said they shouldn't have cut out those important details. But as a movie overall, it was alright.

THIS book/movie IMO should have been the movie they split in two, not the last book. The last book seriously felt like I was reading filler, it really pissed me off. Those of you who have actually read it, I am mostly talking about the forest arc.. ugh.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:11 pm

Watchmen - It certainly lacks the sophistication and class of the book but it's a surprisingly good and effective adaptation. Good casting, even though some of the writing that works so well in the book seems awkward when spoken on screen. Much like the Wachowskis did with V for Vendetta I think Snyder sacrifices substance for style. I would've preferred a more meditative approach opposed to his hyper-stylized presentation. I was worried about the ending but I don't think they radically changed it (though it's been ages since I read the book).

The book is much better, but the film is still one of the best comic adaptations I've ever seen, so props to those who adapted it. Moore should stop being such a bitch and put his name on some of these films. His elitism is really starting to rub me the wrong way.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:56 am

^ What he said. The best part of that entire movie is the "revealing Doctor Manhattan's past montague"...that was EPIC.

Gryphus_OnE
Adam

Postby Gryphus_OnE » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:19 am

Transformers 2?..... haha haha.....please don't kill me (it was great fun watching)

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Captain_Morgan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:31 pm

^
When there are giant robots fighting each other with explosions filling the screen, and you're looking at your watch wondering when the movie will end, you know it's way too long.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:04 pm

This was actually the most recent film I saw, but Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was amazing, and I'm not even much of a fan of the series!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Squirrel Ninja
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Squirrel Ninja » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:35 pm

schismatics wrote:^ What he said. The best part of that entire movie is the "revealing Doctor Manhattan's past montague"...that was EPIC.

That was pretty good of them. I remember this being one of the most tedious parts of the book for me. I agree that it was a pretty solid adaptation. Though, I commend the movie for it's style, which I found much more pleasing than the book's. I also thought the sound track was pretty excelent, even if 99 Red Balloons seemed really out of place and they tried way to hard during the All Along The Watch Tower scene.

I watched Larry Clark's "Ken Park" yesterday. I thought it was well acted without acception, but thought Clark was trying incredibly hard to be shocking and edgy at the expense of crafting a good plot. He also seems to have no faith in his audience when the movie tries to be occasionally subtle. For example one of the girl characters and her Christian evangelical father are talking.

Girl:
that reminds me when you had that
point hanging from your tongue. That little thing
that looked like... [Oh like a snake, Biblical reference.]

Dad:
the end of my tongue,
it looked like a serpent's tongue. [Yeah, caught that thanks.]

Girl:
It had like apitchfork
at the end of it. [Shit, I get it devil reference move on.]

Also there's an inordinate amount of dick in the movie to reinforce how edgy it is. Ken Park was moderately enjoyable, but I recommend it to no one unless you really get off on shock value or watching teenagers masturbate to tennis.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:03 pm

Squirrel Ninja wrote:Though, I commend the movie for it's style, which I found much more pleasing than the book's.
:jawdrop: Moore's formalism and Gibbons art are two reasons the book was so great! I think the movie has a lot of style but very little formal substance.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Squirrel Ninja
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Squirrel Ninja » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:56 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote::jawdrop: Moore's formalism and Gibbons art are two reasons the book was so great! I think the movie has a lot of style but very little formal substance.

If were talking about writing style, yeah the book is out of the movie's league by a long shot. The art style of the book works very well for the story, keeping with that traditional comic book look. That said, I thought the movie's style was a lot easier on the eyes [I could bring up the intentional grotesqueness of the book but Merridian might go off on me again]. Undoubtedly, the movie had it's stylistic ups and downs, but, I think they made the right choice in not trying to emulate the comic's visuals too closely, as it would have inevitably fell short. The opening credits sequence with Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin" was one of it's stylistic high points. It was one of the scenes (like the funeral scene) where the sound track enhanced the visual style.

I can't disagree about a lack of formal substance, but picked up some solid incidental substance simply from being an adaptation of good writing.

roblucci01
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby roblucci01 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:16 pm

PUBLIC ENEMIES.

I had some degree of issues with Transformers 2 and HP6 (I liked 'em both I just had some minor complaints here and there). However Public Enemies gave me a fully, 100% spectacular show which I myself have no complaints with whatsoever. Part of this is my bias towards organized-crime movies (I am a huge fan of those types of movies), but I took my dad and my sister to see this, both of whom are not crazy about organized crime movies, and they loved it as much as I did.

But hey, I wasn't surprised at how amazing this movie was considering Johnny Depp starred in it as John Dillinger, and his rival cop played by Christian Bale from the Dark Knight.

Overall a great movie, I'd recommend checking it out if you're a Depp fan.
I hate the internet

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:47 pm

Evangelion 2.0

Being scared half crazy already by shitty trailers and THEN stumbling upon those two RoE 2.0 whining topics I was sure we would get biggest screwup in film history since The Phantom Menace or - hell - Highlander 2

When film blew my mind by being so frickingly fucking awesome (these 3 words are what all reviewers should use to the max) it was like seeing film that blew my mind by being so frickingly fucking awesome.

10/10 shizzle that was

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:26 pm

^ Yeah. More so than any audience out there the diehard Evangelion fans will suffer the most in regards to these new films. In comparison with other non Evangelion based films 2.0 actually flows pretty smoothly. It's just those other films aren't Evangelion and I'm not asking for every character to get extra crazy focus. I'm not gonna give the film a rating yet cause well, I still don't know what the feck they're saying and the image quality is not even 1/20th of what it should be.

Back to topic, last night saw THE HURT LOCKER. Wow! So great to see an Iraq film about the experience and not have some sorta forced political agenda. Really, it's a genius film that feels like a masterclass study of how to create TENSION in a film. Jeremy Renner is gonna get offered some high profile jobs after this film for sure. Only recommendation, don't be too close to the screen, it's all handheld.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:12 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Back to topic, last night saw THE HURT LOCKER. Wow! So great to see an Iraq film about the experience and not have some sorta forced political agenda. Really, it's a genius film that feels like a masterclass study of how to create TENSION in a film. Jeremy Renner is gonna get offered some high profile jobs after this film for sure. Only recommendation, don't be too close to the screen, it's all handheld.

I have heard nothing but good things about that movie, but I still haven't gotten around to seeing it.

Anyways I rewatched Aronofsky's The Fountain just the other day. That has got to be one of top 5 movies in the history of evAR!!! I love the story line, its got good performances (Rachel Weisz and Hugh Jackman) and plus for what little budget the movie was made on, the special effects are great! I'd highly recommend watching this movie. :thumbsup:

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:35 pm

Coraline - A superb stop-motion animated film based on a novel by Neil Gaiman. It's from the same team that did Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach so you know you're going to be getting quality. These films tend to have much more heart and soul than their CGI counterparts and the craft that goes into them is just phenomenal and the film is certainly a feast for the eyes. It's essentially about a young girl who moves to a new house which has an odd assortment of people staying there. She's neglected by her parents and finds a door that leads to an alternate world where everything is 'perfect' until she's faced with the decision of staying there. The story is the kind of dark fairy tale we used to have before Disney sanitized them. It's not as good as Nightmare Before Christmas but it's still superb.

schismatics wrote:Anyways I rewatched Aronofsky's The Fountain just the other day. That has got to be one of top 5 movies in the history of evAR!!! I love the story line, its got good performances (Rachel Weisz and Hugh Jackman) and plus for what little budget the movie was made on, the special effects are great! I'd highly recommend watching this movie. :thumbsup:
Good to see someone else appreciates the film. I thought it was brilliant even if a bit flawed. Aronofsky certainly shoots for the moon and it's great to see a director in an age where black comedy and cynicism rules to really attempt a high-romantic existential sci-fi fantasy drama bout life, death and love. The visuals are stunningly gorgeous and all the more amazing because how little CGI there is in the film (most of it's done naturally). Aronofsky's cinematic language is equally superb, balancing the 3 sections by using repeated camera and color motifs. And of course it's left open enough to discuss exactly what happens. But the film is so gorgeous I didn't really care. Killer soundtrack too; perhaps the best of the decade.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:37 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote: Killer soundtrack too; perhaps the best of the decade.

Mogwai + Clint Mansell = pure fuckin' awesomeness

Evangelion217
Lilith

Postby Evangelion217 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:50 pm

Definitely "Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance." It's the best sci-fi film of this year so far. :)
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

"Komm Susser Todd" is the most up-lifting song about depression"- Evangelion217

It's stange that "Evangelion" became such a hit. All the characters are so sick!- Hideaki Anno

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:31 pm

I rewatched Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange again the other day and it was SO MUCH better than I remember. I love how it takes its time, really explores the warped psyche of its murdrr/rapist protogonist. The scene where he's in the prison library and fantasizes about whipping Christ is a perfect example of this. It doesn't advance the story in any way, it just gives a very concise portrait of who Alex is.

And the visual style couldn't be better. I recall in Ebert's negative review of the film, he called the world a 'pop-art abstraction', but I see that as a compliment! Kubrick paints a shallow and degenerate dystopia on a limited budget and suceeds with flying colors! Not to mention the spine-tingling electronic rendition of the 'Funeral of Queen Mary' and Malcolm McDowell's awesome narration taken stright from the book set the atmosphere perfectly.

And I'm not even going to go in depth into the montage spikes and mise-en-scene. I just find the overall look and tone of the film amazing.

Also, I'm going to be talking in nadsat for about a week. That always happens, me droogies!
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Return to “Film and Video”