[Film] Watchmen

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Wed May 27, 2009 12:39 pm

There won't be a squid in there, if that's what you're thinking.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Wed May 27, 2009 12:51 pm

that is no bueno. i read somewhere a while ago that there WAS a squid ending filmed. hopefully it wasn't a whorish lie.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Wed May 27, 2009 3:31 pm

Nope. Zack Snyder confirmed at a while before the film's release that no squid ending was ever shot. I don't really see anything wrong with how the ending was handled though, because if they had to build up to a giant genetically engineered psychic squid within the final act of the movie, it would have been a big mess storywise. The end result was the same as the book, they just used a different means to get there.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:01 am

The DC cameout today and their is more dialogue that fleshes out the scenes that already existed. For example, in the first scene with Hollis and Dan, a brief explanation of the Keene Act.

Here some screen shots of the new sceens added into the movie.

SPOILER: Show
Cop spots Rorschach

Rorschach walking down the streets after his meeting with Dan

Walter Kovacs at the Funeral
Blake Shooting off Helicopter in Vietnam

Blake Grinning as he is about to use his flamethrower

Rorschach arguing with Blake at Crimebusters Meeting(as Dan Holds him back)

Bernie and Walter having some words

New Frontiersman Arrives

Dan and Hollis See Manhattan Interview Blow up on TV

Government Agents Confront Laurie after Manhattan goes to Mars

Laurie Leaving Crimebusters meeting(Flashback as she is being interviewed by agents)
After Rorschach grabs his Face from the dumpster

Rorschach Scares off a Mugger

Rorschach finds some stuff at Roy Chess's Apartment
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:24 am

It's been translated from German to English but for those who have seen the Director's Cut (or want to spoil themselves in advance) here's an epic comparison between the Theatrical and DC cut. It really covers the minutia down to "This shot is 2 frames longer than the Theatrical" or "This shot has received a little bit more color correction":

http://www.dvd-forum.at/1355/schnittbericht_detail.htm

As for me, I loved the Graphic Novel, not so much the film. It had the pizzazz and some above average filmmaking (nice to see Snyder had a directorial vision) but it lost so much of the original's intelligence and replaced it with pointless slow motion shots (of everything), horrible pacing and juvenile violence. I'm curious to see the Director's Cut but not willing to fork out a couple bones to see it.

Besides, it's best to wait till Christmas cause that's when they're bringing out the extreme extras loaded possible 5 disc set of WATCHMEN: ULTIMATE EDITION. If they don't skimp on the extras (be nice to see a small documentary on Paul Greengrass' vision for the film) I'd be willing to buy that.

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:53 am

i really enjoyed the DC over the TR, it felt more complete. i'm really interested to see Black Freighter in the mix, should be interesting to see on screen.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:38 am

I think I have a stop at Best Buy to make on my way home from work today. ^_^

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:45 am

So many broken fingers! So many! I thought it was an all around great movie even though 90% of it was Mr.M big blue Penis.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:26 pm

I think my favorite thing about Watchmen is how (with the exception of Dr. Manhattan) none of them have superpowers. They all just really kick ass.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:43 pm

^ I (think I) see what you did there :lol:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu May 25, 2017 7:14 am

I don't know if it's appropriate since it's an older film but can we seriously talk about Watchmen? How are you people ok with that movie? To me it must've been one of the absolute worst adaptations of a pre-existing source ever. The Watchmen film seemed to literally be the product of someone who didn't get the story at all! Hell, the Bayformers movies have more respect for their source material! I only bring it up because everyone seems to be so ok with it. A couple of spoiler reasons below the cut
SPOILER: Show
1. Framing Dr. Manhattan instead of the alien makes NO SENSE. Remember that Dr. Manhattan was an American creation!
The USSR would not cooperate if they thought that was the case. They would find the Americans had fallen to a weapon they created. The capitalist pig dogs are weak and we should attack them as their opulence has finally caught up to them!
2. The added violence is totally unnecessary and like the copycats that came after shows you didn't read the comic for understanding but more looked at it. The scene where a hitman kills Ozymandias's secretary in the comic was a single panel of being shot through the chest. The movie decided to make it the opening scene from Robocop!
3. Adding super powers to previously human characters is ridiculous.

I'm curious if a lot of the people who enjoyed it never read the source material. Certain media like the Welcome to the NHK anime become very popular even though they're poor adaptations simply because people didn't read the original work. You know what before I continue my ranting about an eight year old film that didn't do so well I'll cut it off there. If this thread is limited to upcoming films and tv just let me know or go ahead and delete this post.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: [Film] Watchmen

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 25, 2017 7:32 am

MuscleRobo: I merged your post into the old Watchmen thread, since we had one predating the dawn of the comic book movie thread-tumors.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu May 25, 2017 8:51 am

Watchmen is ubfilmable. It's as much a story about the medium of the comic book as the tropes of superhero comics and a major chunk of its significance can't be captured in another form.

So there's two ways to adapt it: go avant-garde to capture its spirit or have a director storyboard into a movie with a streamlined story that fits into a film. They picked the commercially viable option.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Fri May 26, 2017 7:05 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Watchmen is ubfilmable. It's as much a story about the medium of the comic book as the tropes of superhero comics and a major chunk of its significance can't be captured in another form.

So there's two ways to adapt it: go avant-garde to capture its spirit or have a director storyboard into a movie with a streamlined story that fits into a film. They picked the commercially viable option.

For that reason, I really don't like the film we had especially when they remove a lot of the nuance and complexity from the comic to create what is essentially a dark superhero action flick.The film is good for what it is but Watchmen is a deconstruction as well as a celebration of superhero comics and it uses the medium to effectively convey its ideas. With that said, I really wish the film could be an avant garde film that uses the medium of film to translate those ideas into an adaptation and I don't feel that Hollywood can do that.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri May 26, 2017 7:08 am

I have read/watched all Watchmen material. I understood it plenty, It was meant to be a Robocop type satire/criticism of the superhero genre & I believe Watchmen to be a genuinely good film.

View Original PostMuscleRobo wrote:0 - The Watchmen film seemed to literally be the product of someone who didn't get the story at all!

0 - Can't agree. The severity of the criticism of it's flawed characters is toned down but it's still present.

Framing Dr. Manhattan instead of the alien makes NO SENSE. Remember that Dr. Manhattan was an American creation!
The USSR would not cooperate if they thought that was the case. They would find the Americans had fallen to a weapon they created. The capitalist pig dogs are weak and we should attack them as their opulence has finally caught up to them!

This is little different then a nuke going off by accidental malfunction or being stolen & used. The Russians would understand our right to have a weapon or anti weapon defense just as we & them have the right to have nukes themselves.
If it had just been NYC like in the comic or just non American cities you might have a point but in the movie it's Tokyo, London, Paris, Beijing, Moscow, LA & NYC.
It's a truly global tragedy.

The violence & slow mo I agree could have been toned down but the slightly exaggerated fighting abilities & not making the characters completely unlikable was a unavoidable trade off that had to be made for the enjoyment of mainstream audiences.

Changes I would have made...
- Hayley Atwell as Silk Spectre (Malin was the weakest link in the cast)
- Aaron Eckheart as Ozymandias
- Make Dan more awkward & unsure of himself altho not outright pathetic.
- Remove slow mo on all fight scenes after the opening.
- Tone down blood & violence.
- Make the sex scene more primal & passionate with no slow mo or cringy music.
- Keep directors cut scenes in.
- Extend 20-30 minutes giving Dan & Laurie the same fleshing out Manhattan got.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri May 26, 2017 7:23 am

- Hayley Atwell as Silk Spectre (Malin was the weakest link in the cast)

Scratch that.
Instead of being Silver Fox in Wolverine Origins that year I would have had Lynn Collins play Silk.
This film deserves it more.
Regardless of how missing the point you may feel Snyder's Watchmen was, it absolutely had far more great points then Origins had.

Return to “Film and Video”