[LAEM] Just what does this movie need to be good?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Winslow Leach
Adam

Postby Winslow Leach » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:39 pm

Mr. Bud wrote:Umm. How does that work? A rating is given to the whole film, not sections of the film. And the movie will most likely not cover EoE.

What I meant was that the films that cover the series should be a hard PG-13 and the film that covers EoE should be R. Sorry for the mix up.

Mr. Bud
Lilith

Postby Mr. Bud » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:17 pm

Winslow Leach wrote:
Mr. Bud wrote:Umm. How does that work? A rating is given to the whole film, not sections of the film. And the movie will most likely not cover EoE.

What I meant was that the films that cover the series should be a hard PG-13 and the film that covers EoE should be R. Sorry for the mix up.

They may not even make one film. What makes you think they'll make two?

And like I said, I doubt they'd do EoE live action anyway.

Winslow Leach
Adam

Postby Winslow Leach » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:22 pm

Mr. Bud wrote:
Winslow Leach wrote:

They may not even make one film. What makes you think they'll make two?

Again, I meant if they make two or three.

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby rip3mwk » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:11 pm

Honestly, if the movie made, then there will be a more than likely chance that it will be followed by a pair of films to complete the saga. If it is one, then I will hate whom ever is in charge, sickness unto death.

DieMuhKuh
Embryo

Postby DieMuhKuh » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:44 pm

What this movie needs to be good is a director who is an Eva fan.
More cheese means more holes.
More holes mean less cheese.
Ergo:
More cheese is less cheese.

RuaDragon
Adam

Postby RuaDragon » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:19 pm

It needs to be split into at least four movies!
"Dying is not romantic, and death is not a game which will soon be over...Death is not anything...Death is not...It's the absence of presence , nothing more...The endless time of never coming back...a gap you can't see, and when the wind blows through it, it makes no sound..."
- Guildenstern

Winslow Leach
Adam

Postby Winslow Leach » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:07 pm

RuaDragon wrote:It needs to be split into at least four movies!

Personally, I am of the opinion that it could easily be split into three and that includes a third film that would open with Asuka's mindrape, Rei II's "death" and Kaoru and then go into End of Evangelion for it's second half. Hell, it could even be done alright in two with some cuts made to the subplots. It certainly couldn't be crammed into one though, that's for sure.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Space Penis » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:57 pm

I think that a Evangelion Live action miniseries would be a much better idea than a film. It's worked before.

Example: Dune. The Dune film was a three hour horrible mishmash of nonsense that made no sense to anyone that hadn't read the books and just craptastic to anyone that had, simply because there was so much source material that it was incredibly difficult to cut out the unimportant stuff without castrating the plot.

Compared to the six-hour miniseries, which glossed over some points from the novel and added some (in my opinion) superfluous subplots, but was otherwise a perfect adaption (except for those goddamn ornis! Even in Children they hadn't sorted it. Come on, people! A film and two minisieries and the only place I see a decent ornithopter is in Star Wars. For Shame.)

I do beleive that this will be the case with the Eva film. Trying to cram it all in one will be stupid and unsatisfying.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Iblis 19th Angel
Adam

Postby Iblis 19th Angel » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:21 pm

More Japanese people, prefferable with experiance working on giant robo &/or monster movies, working on it.

Giant robot & monster movies are like basketball. It doesn't hurt to have a few white guys on the team, but there's a reason they're not the main guys.
2:34 And behold, We said to the angels: "Bow down to Adam" and they bowed down. Not so Iblis: he refused and was haughty: He was of those who reject Faith.

Giant robots with angels trapped inside of them,
Teenaged pilots & an evil organization,
Doing battle with giant monsters from beyond,
Mankind's last hope lies in the Evangelions

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:19 pm

Iblis 19th Angel wrote:More Japanese people, prefferable with experiance working on giant robo &/or monster movies, working on it.

Giant robot & monster movies are like basketball. It doesn't hurt to have a few white guys on the team, but there's a reason they're not the main guys.

Think long and hard about what you're saying. The reason Japanese movies tend to be (or are perceived by us as) better can be attributed to far fewer factors than the entire film crew, especially when the limitation allows you to omit SFX. Writer, director, and maybe costumer. That's it. You throw too much money at anything, be it White, Black, Yellow, Green, and I'll bet it'll still be shit. It would be easy to point out exceptions to this assumption of mine, what with Casshern and (I've heard) Godzilla: Final Wars, but the fact is, when it comes to large productions (America-sized large, not Japan-sized. Casshern = $10 mil.), any examples at all are the exception. As they begin to catch up to our budgets (very slowly, and behind South Korea, it seems), for every Casshern, you'l probably have another Appleseed. Pobody's nerfect.

And even Casshern was kind of... nnn. :? I use it because, quite frankly, I've never seen a really good Japanese live action robot movie. In fact, I've never seen a live-action robot movie. Don't listen to me.

And by your second statement, one could assess that Spike Lee should direct.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:11 pm

Here's my two cents about this matter:

On page 50 of their Feb. 05' issue, Animerica Magazine did gave a number of recomendations as to what it would take to make this movie good. They were probably some of the best I heard so far concerning this matter. I think ADV and WETA should take them VERY seriously. If you have a copy of this issue, you know what I'm taking about.
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

^_^ \/,,

Postby chiefen » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:29 pm

BLACKANGEL32076 wrote:Here's my two cents about this matter:

On page 50 of their Feb. 05' issue, Animerica Magazine did gave a number of recomendations as to what it would take to make this movie good. They were probably some of the best I heard so far concerning this matter. I think ADV and WETA should take them VERY seriously. If you have a copy of this issue, you know what I'm taking about.

Could you write them down for us?
NGE, N. G. E., N. G. Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOT Eva or EVA. Please. >_<

Winslow Leach
Adam

Postby Winslow Leach » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:12 am

You actually took my suggestions seriously?! Even the one that the teen nudity should be retained so pedophiles will go see the movie and make it a box office smash?! I was totally joking about half of them.

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:19 pm

Winslow Leach wrote:

You actually took my suggestions seriously?! Even the one that the teen nudity should be retained so pedophiles will go see the movie and make it a box office smash?! I was totally joking about half of them.

You were the author of that? Yes, I know that some of your suggestions were made in jest, like the one above. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the ones your were sincere with. I hope to God that GAINAX and ADVFilms can tell the difference as well.

I'd post them myself, however I don't want to get smacked upside the head by Viz's legal Dept. for unauthorized reprinting of copywirted material. With all of the anti-bootleging crackdowns going on Nation wide, the only thing I can tell you is to get a copy if you can. If you can't, IM a friend who does. Sorry folks, but we all gotta practice a little CYA, and I really don't put my butt in a sling.
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:45 pm

It's o-tay; we all read it a long time ago.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

superdoughboy4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby superdoughboy4 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:06 am

Two words...
Hideaki Anno.

Only Anno can bring out the true form of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby rb_182_ » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:35 pm

superdoughboy4 wrote:Two words...
Hideaki Anno.

Only Anno can bring out the true form of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I agree. But this movie will still be good I think.
The Real Ending to Evangelion~~
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby TheBlueTree » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:41 pm

Winslow Leach wrote:

Putting the nudity aside for a sec (which is why I believe you think EoE deserves R), the amount of violence and blood in the first couple of epidoes (which the movie is going to cover) is atleast adult. I mean the first epidoe sachiel puts a giant spear through eva1's head and blood literally showers, and after that when the eva goes berserk, it rips sachiel apart limb from adorable limb :lol: Now you can add the nudity (such as Shinji+rie+glasses)
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby rb_182_ » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:46 pm

TheBlueTree wrote:
Winslow Leach wrote:

Putting the nudity aside for a sec (which is why I believe you think EoE deserves R), the amount of violence and blood in the first couple of epidoes (which the movie is going to cover) is atleast adult. I mean the first epidoe sachiel puts a giant spear through eva1's head and blood literally showers, and after that when the eva goes berserk, it rips sachiel apart limb from adorable limb :lol: Now you can add the nudity (such as Shinji+rie+glasses)

All that stuff in one movie. yeah it would be R or PG13 for sure
The Real Ending to Evangelion~~
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

xiuxiu
Adam

Postby xiuxiu » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:51 pm

i think that they need to make sure that the charachters and drama part of eva are well done. sure, big special effects and giant robot fights are cool, but i think this is where the film will sink or swim. they need good actors and a good director and definitely a very large budget. they also definitely need to stay loyal to the story. if this movie is done correctly it can be truly great. and tits.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”