How would you best describe Shinji Ikari?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

offthechainjoe
Embryo

How would you best describe Shinji Ikari?

•      
  •      

Postby offthechainjoe » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:24 pm

How would you describe Shinji?

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:37 pm

A whiny kid in a teenager's body with daddy issues, an Oedipus complex, and no spine. Occasionally has moments of sheer badassery and bravery, but those are typically balanced out with an abnormally large amount of crying, wimpyness, and self-hate (considering that this is Shinji we're talking about, this is an understatement). Also, is frequently shipped with either Asuka (dominant in this forum) or Rei, which is ironic since any child resulting from this will end up several times more fucked up than either of those parents. That, and in the case of S/R shippers, the fact that Rei is sterile is a devastating blow to the aforementioned shippers.

How's that?
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Barong
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Barong » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:27 pm

A deeply troubled fourteen year old child who longs for love and takes on the biggest burden one could possibly imagine when first setting foot in the wretched Evangelion.
Very good manners, most always kind and certainly helpful, though so easy to irritate and hurt that he can't show it often. Has a whole lotta love to give but practically received none for the major part of his life.
He's a guy through and through who unfortunately just hit THAT age. Falls for most every pretty girl in an instant, which is quite a bummer since he lives in the world of an artist who can't draw ugly people ...
Just too nice and shy for his world.
and he who forgets will be destined to remember

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:05 pm

TV -- a harmless nebbish
EoE -- a quitter and a wife-beater
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:09 pm

^THAT!! :pwnd:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:24 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:TV -- a harmless nebbish
EoE -- a quitter and a wife-beater

/thread
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

NickFury90
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby NickFury90 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:25 pm

a bitch

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:45 pm

A boy in need of a pair.

Whenever he gets the proverbial testicles, something bad always happens (i.e. Episode 15 & 19).

DanteNeverCry
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DanteNeverCry » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:21 pm

A piece of shit
R.I.P Kaji's watermelons

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:23 pm

^^ Very direct. I agree with Mr.Tines.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:23 pm

An idiot who essentially annihilates the human race because he couldn't make up his mind for 90 minutes?

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:19 pm

A delicate piece of glass, lightly caressed by Kaworu's knowing hands.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:37 pm

I can't help but notice that we've been here before...

Either way I don't know if any of the kids can really be summarized in short...none of them conform neatly to an archetype... but if I had to pick a word it would be Kaworu's use of "delicate"
To start off, Shin-chan is an emotionally broken child who was essentially abandoned by his surviving parent, he has no self esteem and no self actualisation outside of his basic stability that he looses by soldiering. But despite that Shinji willingly does his most in a job a child like him should never have been pressed into...at least until all the reasons he had for for going functioning are taken away from him, leading to the desperate, broken child seen in EoE.

As far as appearances go Shin-chan is also ambiguous, he has a rather delicate/pretty design that contrasts with the kakkoii/handsome designs that were usually associated with action heroes (and that Kaworu and Touji use to some extent), So visually he stands out from the start, and his socially androgynous behavior only goes to further this...but at the same time Shinji also erupts into acts of animalistic violence something, that outwardly seems incompatible with his delicate type appearance and personality, but actualy fits in quite well as acts of near suicidal desperation... something that of course in TV or ROE never works out all well.

oOoOoOo wrote:A delicate piece of glass, lightly caressed by Kaworu's knowing hands.
Oh...you used the word while I was still typing mine up Oneesan...I guess I've got nothing better to do than keep it... It's my fault for being slow :unsure:

But yes Shinji is very glassy, if he's pressed he'll brake if he's broken he'll cut whatever touches him...He could have used a expert glassblower like Kaworu :shinji_blush:
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:44 pm

A very normal introvert suffering with typical past traumas and typical teenage problems which are exacerbated to an extreme degree by being forced into extraordinary circumstances that nobody, much less emotionally/mentally unstable teenagers (almost an oxymoron), should have to deal with.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:47 pm

A young man who can morph back and forth between a friendly timid boy and a goth without makeup.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:42 pm

A whiny kid in a teenager's body with dad issues and has to lurn the life the hard way. He is almost emo but not on the Superman Prime level though.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

NickFury90
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby NickFury90 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:23 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:A whiny kid in a teenager's body with dad issues and has to lurn the life the hard way. He is almost bosnian but not on the Superman Prime level though.

Nobody is on Superboy Prime's level of eemo bitchness. African-American brother makes Shinji look like Conan the Barbarian.

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:39 pm

An emotionally torn kid from an early age, who lived daily life like a robot until the day came he had to get in 'one', whose experience and emotions increase exponentially as he tries to find a reason why.

His father must've gone through the same thing, instead chiseling a man to be made of stone.

Guyver Spawn wrote:He is almost bosnian

ZOMG uu rascist!!!11
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:39 pm

-A loner
-Issues with parents
-Difficulty with trusting others

He does improve half way into the series up until everything that fucks up the characters go down.

-Then he becomes a lot worse then he originally was. To the point of not caring for his life or others(EoE) and not knowing or forgetting what he really wants.

-Also over the coarse of the series he has trouble showing his true feelings most of the time.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:56 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:He is almost bosnian but not on the Superman Prime level though.
Translate!
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”