[LAEM] Pick the cast...

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

pmkava
Adam

Postby pmkava » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:48 pm

cambaprecoz wrote:Robin William's face structure is pretty similar to Keel Loren's.
And if this ever gets made, be sure to hear about him trying to land a role in it!

I thought the same thing, and if he plays Keel it will be interesting.
hurm. Meeting with Kaworu Nagisa left bad taste in mouth. Possible Homosexual? must remember to investigate further.

snowballreborn
Lilith

Postby snowballreborn » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:53 pm

some of my dream cast many were inspired by your choices:
Some of the ages of the actors might be screwy but I think it will be really likely that an american evangelion film will increase the age of the younger characters from 14 to 16/17ish

Gendo - Robin Williams or Nicholas Cage
Fuyutsuki - Harrison Ford or Sean Penn or Quentin Tarantino with Makeup
Aoba - Emile Hirsch
makoto - Jay Baruchel
Maya - Katie Holmes
Ritsuko - Kate Winslet
Naoko - Helena Bonham Carter
Misato - Natalie Portman or Elizabeth Banks or Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Kaji - Johnny Depp or Leonardo Dicapprio or Mark Webber
Shinji - Aaron Johnson
Asuka - Lyndsey Fonsesca
Mari - Ellen Page
Rei - Ellen Page or Kristen Stewart with a wig
Touji - Dev Patel or Johnny Simmons
Kensuke - Christopher Mintz-Plasse
Hikari - Portia Doubleday
Kaworu - Michael Cera with a wig
Keel Lorenz - Alan Rickman

Oshima
Embryo

Postby Oshima » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:12 am

Timstuff wrote:Also, is Patrick Wolf even an actor? I can't seem to find him on IMDB, and besides that, he looks a bit too "high maintenance" to be Kaworu. Kaworu is supposed to be a pretty boy, but not a full-blown metro.

Patrick Wolf is a musician

--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ukDMnTfkE
--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xph2gTfs0pw

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:54 pm

Natalie Portman is another good choice for Misato. She'd bring some needed credibility to the primary cast, since I doubt we'll be seeing any big names for the pilots (though not necessarily unknowns). My only concern would be that she is very youthful looking, and might not be the best choice to convey Misato's elevated maturity above the pilots. Only way to be sure though would be with a screen test.

BTW snowballreborn, given your avatar I'm surprised you haven't suggested this guy as Keel:

Malcolm McDowell is like, the ultimate movie villain. He'd be perfect for Keel! Either him, or Brian Cox.

Aaron Johnson looks like a good Shinji. I'll have to check out some of his work.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

Postby BattleMonkey » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:54 pm

Donald Sutherland also would work good. Heck I would love him doing a Gendo in his own manner.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:11 pm

snowballreborn wrote:
Gendo - Robin Williams or Nicholas Cage

Keel Lorenz - Alan Rickman

NICHOLAS CAGE IS MY ARCH ENEMY!!!!

Alan Rickman :lol: That'd be awesome. Make him be Gendo.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:14 pm

what's wrong with Cage?

granted, some of his movies really suck, but still

Alan Rickman could at least be good for one of the SEELE people
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:24 pm

His acting is stale and practically the same in everything.

snowballreborn
Lilith

Postby snowballreborn » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:28 pm

old cage is good. I can't wait to see him in kick-ass, where I've gotten most of my casting from despite it not even having come out yet.

I <3 malcolm mcdowell. I can't believe I forgot him :/

He'd make a great Lorenz

I love Alan Rickman too (specifically in Dogma) but I really can't see him playing Gendo. Alan has that kind of chanting voice that Gendo doesn't. They both have monotone-ish voices but Gendo mumbles a lot and Alan makes it clear that you know what he is saying.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Cage would be great for Gendo if he's going to be portrayed as neurotic and needs to have a few good wig out scenes.

...oh. :look:
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:07 pm

Gendo - Nicholas Cage

After seeing his most recent movies like Ghost Rider and Bangkok Dangerous, I would hate to see him in a Eva movie. He has not made a good movie since 2004 IMO.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:13 pm

^I don't disagree
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

snowballreborn
Lilith

Postby snowballreborn » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:21 am

I personally hate him as an actor lately, but if he was given some material that wasn't utter crap maybe he could redeem himself. All he's been doing lately is blockbuster films. Supposedly he redeems himself in kick-ass

Kubania
Embryo

Postby Kubania » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:25 pm

buuuuhhhh... I don't think I would want to see it live action.

I just don't think anyone would be satisfied with the choice in actors, and as mentioned previously, you run into the whole HP movie series problem where they are just too damn old now. Radcliff is great, but I wasn't aware that wizards were supposed to have six-packs.

So you'd have to get actors who can play younger, like Ellen Page (Total thumbs up for Rei) or Michael Cera (Though I DO NOT see him as Kaworu by any means). Or change the timeline and their ages... Make them all, say, 17-18 so it would be easier for an adult to play their role... And make it a helluva lot less creepy for people to be drooling over the girls (Think Olsen twins & Hermione's problems once they turned eighteen).

Hmm... But I like Dev Patel for Touji, but I think he may be way tall? Gillian Anderson is a natural blonde and would make a great Ritsuko, but is maybe too short. I think Misato would be an easy one to cast, but no one really comes to mind... Someone mentioned Lucy Liu, and yes, she's hot, but she doesn't come to mind as the best actress.

Malcolm McDowell would be a great choice for either Gendo or Fuyutsuki, but I like him better as the latter.

Shinji and Kaworu, I think are the problem children in this game. Shinji, by all other means, is just this very average looking kid, and actually might be small for his age. So you need this wimpy, boring looking kid to play the lead role... That doesn't really sound like it would appeal to broader audiences.

Then, what the hell do you do with Kaworu? He's a bishounen, but how does that translate to live action? Does he turn into another Edward? Or would they retain some of the homosexual undertones? WOULD THEY MAKE HIM BLONDE?!

Would they make Rei... I have no idea what color her hair would translate to. Maybe light brown -_-

Frankly, I don't think it will ever be made... If we're ever honest with ourselves, the series itself is sort of a mess and wouldn't translate well to an American audience. Because it would be like, "Oh awesome there are robots are teenagers get to fight with them and there's lots of fanservice.", then later, "What the hell? Why is that shrimpy dude screaming and what's all this psychobabble and weird Christian references... HEY ARE THEY MAKING FUN OF CHRISTIANITY!?!"

Then riots would ensue. Then they would come after us. Live in fear.

No. No. You know what. This is my new proposal:

Have the Jim Henson Creature Shop do the whole thing. EVERYONE can be puppets and they can make the EVAs like they did the big stiltwalkers in Dark Crystal.

I think I have just taken the Eva Geek Crown today. >_>"

Don't double post

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:36 pm

Kubania wrote:No. No. You know what. This is my new proposal:

Have the Jim Henson Creature Shop do the whole thing. EVERYONE can be puppets and they can make the EVAs like they did the big stiltwalkers in Dark Crystal.

I think I have just taken the Eva Geek Crown today. >_>"

I'd watch it. :smirk:

We have a crown?? How 'bout +1 internetz?

Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Logan Payne » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:43 pm

Over the weekend a friend joked with me about Robert downey jr. being Kaji.

I think that would actually work very well for him.

Marzan
Adam

Postby Marzan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:28 pm

For the record, i'd rather not have Hollywood do a live action EVA. At least not with the current film market, which I think is rather shallow. I think one should wait some 5, 10 years and see what James Cameron has done with Avatar and/or Battle Angel. And see how they are received by the mainstream audience.

If they do it now, I suppose that Gendo and Kaji are the easiest ones to cast. I think the women are trickier, specially Misato and Rei.
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sharaz Destler » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:00 pm

Not a casting suggestion, but a stylistic one.

In LAEM, I think Rei should be bald, not unlike a leukemia patient, since audiences might not know what to make of the blue hair. For one thing, it'd certainly do wonders for the "mysterious" aspect of the character, and also to show her as fragile, yet with a hidden willpower of her own that she rarely if ever shows.

Yes, I know the hairstyle is important to connect her with Yui, but perhaps there could be some other way to draw links between the characters...a similar look in the eyes, maybe, or something else equally unsettling to people such as Kyoko or other NERV personnel. Almost like the scene in the first Star Wars, where Darth Vader is in front of the Millennium Falcon, and he pauses in mid-sentence, having felt Obi-wan's presence. THAT is the sort of feeling Rei gives those close to Gendo.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:45 pm

If Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a bit younger, I think he'd make a perfect Shinji.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:32 am

Hugh Laurie as Gendo, Sean Connery as Kiel, Ian McKellen as Fuyutsuki, Johnny Depp as Kaji. 'nuff said.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”