Beast Mode Eva-02

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
UltraBlackPilot
Lilith

Beast Mode Eva-02

Postby UltraBlackPilot » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:57 pm

I saw eight minutes of 2.0 on Youtube, And what was up with beast mode? It contorted Unit 2? What was up with those rods, and did Mari fire that cannon with nails from the 2's pylon? and who even thought of that kind of a feature?
Currently dying of love overdose.
It hurts.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Beast Mode {possibly might see some spoilers}

Postby bladerj » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:14 pm

UltraBlackPilot wrote:I saw eight minutes of 2.0 on Youtube, And what was up with beast mode? It contorted Unit 2? What was up with those rods, and did Mari fire that cannon with nails from the 2's pylon? and who even thought of that kind of a feature?

its a homage to the best robot in evangelion, they thought of the needles way back in EoE
ANATA BAKA !?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:15 pm

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=258113#258113

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:32 pm

its what happens when Anno falls asleep watching the newly released Beast Wars DVD. I guess Eva can have some sort of Beast mode since I mean they are restrained beast. Maybe 02 wanted this to happen, wanted the ability to go apeshit.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:39 pm

Kyoko used to read Spider-Man. I think that's the only real explanation.

We can explain the physical deformation aspects -- "Eva that abandons its humanity", blah blah, probably means there's some shapeshifting involved -- but those "limiters" will never, ever make any sense. Look at the size of those fucking things. Where the heck do they fit? (Aren't there supposed to be bones, muscles, and organs there?) Sigh.

EDIT: I fixed my fixed title so that it more properly reflects the subject matter. ***** **** is obviously "Beast Mode" (though is that even an official term...?).
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:21 pm

Reichu wrote:We can explain the physical deformation aspects -- "Eva that abandons its humanity", blah blah, probably means there's some shapeshifting involved -- but those "limiters" will never, ever make any sense. Look at the size of those fucking things. Where the heck do they fit? (Aren't there supposed to be bones, muscles, and organs there?) Sigh.

Since Rebuild's primary goal was to "modernize" Evangelion for today's audience (that is, take a relatively deep and intelligent break-through series from the '90s and turn it into an absolutely generic mecha series where anybody can pilot anybody else's robot, the robots themselves are simply machines, and the laughable physics boil down to "it works because it does"), Anno has taken certain liberties.

In other words, unexplained mass-shifting a la Transformers.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby wonderluster » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:30 pm

so do you think Unit 02 was conscious of the battle or was Mari controlling the way the mouth moved as well? because in just about all the other berserker scenes, you never see the pilot because the Eva's the one in control. You think maybe this could have been like the Bardiel fight except Mari was the D.P. and Unit 02 was the one powerless to do anything?
On the path to Universal Understanding.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby CyberXIII » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:50 pm

I Accidentally Dracula wrote:Since Rebuild's primary goal was to "modernize" Evangelion for today's audience (that is, take a relatively deep and intelligent break-through series from the '90s and turn it into an absolutely generic mecha series where anybody can pilot anybody else's robot, the robots themselves are simply machines, and the laughable physics boil down to "it works because it does"), Anno has taken certain liberties.

In other words, unexplained mass-shifting a la Transformers.

Since when does NGE's physics make sense? If the laws of physic did apply, then the Evas wouldn't exist in the first place.

And Rebuild most definitely did not turn Eva into another generic mecha show. It merely cut out most of the navel contemplation and wangst that was only there to cut corners on animation in the first place.

Anyone who's been paying attention could tell you that the Evas are still organic. Eva-01 and Eva-02 bleed like aerosol cans; Eva-02's brain matter shows after Zeruel stabbed it in the head.

The Evas can switch pilots in the original series and the manga. Shinji synced better with Eva-02 than his own Eva during the fight with Gaghiel; Rei synced with Eva-01 in the series and piloted it in the manga against Sachiel.

Lastly, mass shifting has been present since the original series. One minute the Evas tower over skyscrapers, the next they're hiding behind and climbing them.

Hey guy, you're IN a spoiler thread already.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:58 pm

CyberXIII wrote:Lastly, mass shifting has been present since the original series. One minute the Evas tower over skyscrapers, the next they're hiding behind and climbing them.

I never really liked that example... Some of skyscrapers in Tokyo-3 are, like, fifty times taller than the others. The Evas having the magical ability to scale between 40 and 200 meters depending on whatever looks best for a particular scene, yes, they're very guilty of that. But we fortunately never had to see the Evas expand and contract on-screen, which is how the show managed to get away with it.

How this ability could be used to explain Eva-02's ability to accommodate gigantic control rods and still function anatomically, I have absolutely no idea.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Barong
Lilith

Postby Barong » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:09 pm

How this ability could be used to explain Eva-02's ability to accommodate gigantic control rods and still function anatomically, I have absolutely no idea.

Me neither, but I'm sure the design-department has. :smirk:
and he who forgets will be destined to remember

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:28 pm

Since when does NGE's physics make sense? If the laws of physic did apply, then the Evas wouldn't exist in the first place.

I didn't mean that it has to make sense when compared to our universe. The show took the recurring sci-fi idea of "they're advanced aliens from another dimension so nothing they have applies to what we know" and week by week, step by step, created a unique full-bodied physical universe to support it. As Peter Griffon would say, it "insists on itself."

Rebuild basically cuts and pastes pieces of this pre-established universe for a quick starting point, when it really only (sort of) makes sense when taken as a whole. It then does things in the empty spots that are left that openly contradict the original set of physics and just create a bigger mess. Say this is the NERV bunnies acting unbelievably stupid towards the obvious connotations of the Vatican Treaty when they think they're fighting for the sake of current mankind; or the added features of EVA-02's new Berserker mode; or the NERV bunnies acting unbelievably stupid towards Mari's total invisibility even with their underground super surveillance; or ... pretty much anything else about Mari right now. At this point it's debatable if the writers themselves have decided where they're actually going with this.

And Rebuild most definitely did not turn Eva into another generic mecha show. It merely cut out most of the navel contemplation and wangst that was only there to cut corners on animation in the first place.

And it took the fairly consistent and complicated issue of gargantuan artificial hearts bound to specific human souls being the core of an Eva and turned them into easily-interchangeable matching GN Drives.

And it took the realistic psychological undertones of the Third Impact activation and simply turned Shinji into Gurren Lagann.

And so on and so on. Not that I have a problem with GL. I actually enjoyed it. I just think it has its place.

Lastly, mass shifting has been present since the original series. One minute the Evas tower over skyscrapers, the next they're hiding behind and climbing them.

Wonky proportions and general animation errors are completely different than mass-shifting for some deliberate effect or ability.

btw why are we marking spoilers? This is a spoilarz thred.
edit: Well nevermind.
Last edited by I Accidentally Dracula on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:30 pm

hmm, do evas have bones? other than teeth i cant remember any instance of bones showing. Arms have been broken, and they obviously have a rigid structure, but who knows what cool properties pwm has

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:34 pm

You should re~watch EoE when 02 gets died. I see bones and such all over the place.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:40 pm

woops :P my memory fails me yet again

evilhead008
Adam

Postby evilhead008 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:01 pm

Er.. I forgot how to resize it. Sorry..

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:03 pm

i already said i was wrong....

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:19 pm

Axell wrote:hmm, do evas have bones? other than teeth i cant remember any instance of bones showing. Arms have been broken, and they obviously have a rigid structure, but who knows what cool properties pwm has

It should be noted that EVA-03 had its neck broken immediately prior to this scene, thus it must also have vertebrae.

Rock-Slash
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Rock-Slash » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:26 pm

Axell wrote:hmm, do evas have bones? other than teeth i cant remember any instance of bones showing. Arms have been broken, and they obviously have a rigid structure, but who knows what cool properties pwm has

I Accidentally Dracula wrote:It should be noted that EVA-03 had its neck broken immediately prior to this scene, thus it must also have vertebrae.

Yes they have vertebrae

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:27 pm

The Eva's have bones though we only seem to see the spine and the skull and some arms here and there.

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Soul Fire » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:31 pm

Eva's are organic but have always been capable of magical mind bending things. They can regenerate body parts in battle, withstand blasts from N2 mines and so questioning the organic structutes at all is moot at they are cabable of strange things either way. Those control rods looked just about able to fit in there and we dont really know that eva's have organs other than brain and muscle tissues. Perhaps this is where the cores come in, contoling bodilly functions? I can just about .....just about, see those control rods being there. On the subject of these little discrepancies turing Eva into a generic mecha show, I think this isnt fair at all. The one thing eva will never be is a generic mecha show.

To be honest from what I have seen, they have done a very good job on this new movie. It still ultimatley feels like Eva whilst your watching it and it still has those trade mark trolls we know and love Anno for. Ive not even watched the whole thing through but I can still say it has a lot of the things I liked about eva still present. This latest rebuild movie has some moments in it together with the music and sound effects, that shock and make me sit there thinking ' oh shit what was that'. I listened to the sound recording of the whole film the other day and I skipped to the Asuka having a bad day scene and just listening to that scene without having seen the animation was enough to make me realise this was still ultimatley evangelion.

On the subject of the bones, there was an entire Eva graveyard filled with them in the origional series if I remember rightly. If you look carefully in this new film in the long camrip, when unit 1 gets it's arm severed and Shinji pushes the angel into the elevator, you can see the bone in the middle of the severed arm.

Dean

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”