Vatican Treaty

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
UltraBlackPilot
Lilith

Vatican Treaty [SPOILERS]

•      
  •      

Postby UltraBlackPilot » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:36 am

Originally titled (gratuitous spoiler to some) "The treaty that says 3 Evas a country." Title changed in anticipation of complaints. (Changed again by Reichu to be more specific; "Vatican Treaty" isn't a spoiler since the term was released on the movie poster.)

I'm confused when was that signed I don't remember it in the series. Why was it made if only 3 countries even had Evangelions.

Note on edit: anticipation?
Last edited by UltraBlackPilot on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently dying of love overdose.
It hurts.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:40 am

The Vatican Treaty is made up new for the movie, like pretty much everything in 2.0
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

Re: The treaty that says 3 Evas a country.

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:53 am

UltraBlackPilot wrote:Why was it made if only 3 countries even had Evangelions.

Or why it wasn't even hinted to in the first movie. Or why nobody sees an inherent flaw in the proposal when, regardless of separate superpowers, the truth of the matter is that all accepted Evas are ultimately built to fight Angels in Japan.

Its sole purpose is to get Asuka out of EVA-02 and make room for Mari, basically. It doesn't really have a place in the Making The Slightest Lick of Sense department. Yeah, there's the whole "SEELE / Gendou have deeper plans mwuahahaha" aspect of it, but that's not an excuse for the characters that aren't SEELE / Gendou to not notice an obvious conflict of interest and stay blind to manipulation.
Last edited by I Accidentally Dracula on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:06 am

To tell the truth, such a law would make sense. It could prevent one nation from getting enough EVAs to effortlessly conquering its neighbors.
Me and my Droogs.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarmulletpart2
Serindip LLC are Nazis!!!!

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:09 am

scarmullet wrote:To tell the truth, such a law would make sense. It could prevent one nation from getting enough EVAs to effortlessly conquering its neighbors.

Nuclear limitation treaties.

Those kind of go out the window when you're defending yourself against an extremely hostile alien race that can only be harmed by nuclear warheads, though.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:33 am

I Accidentally Dracula wrote:
scarmullet wrote:To tell the truth, such a law would make sense. It could prevent one nation from getting enough EVAs to effortlessly conquering its neighbors.

Nuclear limitation treaties.

Those kind of go out the window when you're defending yourself against an extremely hostile alien race that can only be harmed by nuclear warheads, though.

Did they know only 1 place was going to be attacked when they decided to build Evas and sign that treaty? There was already an Angel battle outside of Japan.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:37 am

Ornette wrote:Did they know only 1 place was going to be attacked when they decided to build Evas and sign that treaty? There was already an Angel battle outside of Japan.

Indeed. I wonder if it'll be the last. And anyways what was the angel that Mari fights after anyways? Was it after that "key thing" that Kaji had in his possession or something?

Similar to Adam in the NGE story?

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:08 am

I don't quite see how a lack of a limitation treaty would mean only Japan can round up EVAs. It's not like NERV Japan said "gimme all your EVA!" (03 (at least in the series) was sent there because the US didn't want it anymore after the 04 incident) so that they had to sign such thing.
Even if Japan has more than 3, other countries still could have their own in case Angels appear there.

Not that I don't agree that such treaty would make sense in RL-politics, but in terms of the movie, suddenly coming out of nowhere and only resulting in forcing the plot in a certain direction, it just feels like cheating a reason to put 02 off the roster.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:59 am

It does seem entirely silly, even from a practical standpoint. If an eva had to be put in storage as a spare, why not the untested one? I mean, we already knew that Gendo apparently doesn't have much of a grasp on strategy, but come on...

Stupid plot device is stupid.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:16 am

Does someone have a transcript of that scene with Misato and Asuka talking while Eva-02 was being put away? That conversation was pretty long and I was barely able to catch any of it, even after the second time watching it.

Found it:
2号機のコアが取り外され、クレーンで吊り上げられていく。

拘束具を宛がわれ、封印される2号機。

十字架のように貼り付けられ、それをつけたクレーンが降下していく。

床が4つに割れ、開いていく封印扉。

それを眼前にするアスカとリツコとマヤ。

アスカ 何で私の2号機が封印されちゃうのよ!

リツコ バチカン条約よ。知ってるでしょ。3号機との引き換え条件なの

アスカ 修理中の0号機にすればいいじゃない!

リツコ 2号機のパスは今でもユーロが保有しているの、私たちにはどうにもできないのよ。現在はパイロットも白紙。ユーロから再通知があるまでは、おとなしくしてなさい

アスカ 私以外誰にも乗れないのに…

リツコ エヴァは実戦兵器よ。全てにバックアップを用意しているわ。操縦者も含めてね

アスカ そんな…私の世界で唯一の居場所なのに

Does that say that the core of Eva-02 has been removed? Apparently, the Euros are the ones who decided to put Eva-02 in storage or something.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:34 am

Removed and being lifted up by crane. Well, there's a little something for the piloting thread...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:18 am

:ehh: They can just take an S2 Organ out of the Eva's? That confuses me cause we all know that they are not met to even have them yet.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:24 am

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote::ehh: They can just take an S2 Organ out of the Eva's? That confuses me cause we all know that they are not met to even have them yet.

Core =/= S2 Engine.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:25 am

I don't think the core and the S2 organ are the same thing.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/S%C2%B2_Engine

Besides, S2's have yet to make a Rebuild appearance.

EDIT: Damn you Reichu! I knew you were going to beat me!
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:38 am

Did they know only 1 place was going to be attacked when they decided to build Evas and sign that treaty?

The fact that all primary Eva R&D took place in Japan?

And how America basically had to beg for rights to build 03 and 04 after it became the cool thing to do?

And ... wherever the hell Mari is from not being given sufficient data to even build a complete Eva?

It certainly implies that NERV had a general idea of some sort. There's an obvious (and justified) bias towards where the Angels are actually attacking.

Electric Sachiel wrote:And anyways what was the angel that Mari fights after anyways?

The promotional booklet for 2.0 says it was escaping captivity. i.e.: It probably didn't get there on its own.
Last edited by I Accidentally Dracula on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:11 am

I'm sorry, I read that wrong. They took out the Core of Eva 02 and placed it within Eva 03. I find this odd since I thought that would be the body for the soul within Eva 02. Once within, I did not know they could be placed some where else.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 pm

NemZ wrote:It does seem entirely silly, even from a practical standpoint. If an eva had to be put in storage as a spare, why not the untested one? I mean, we already knew that Gendo apparently doesn't have much of a grasp on strategy, but come on...

Stupid plot device is stupid.

better yet, why not decommission 00, the most out of date. It also gets Rei off the battlefield

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:48 pm

JimmyWolk wrote:It's not like NERV Japan said "gimme all your EVA!" (03 (at least in the series) was sent there because the US didn't want it anymore after the 04 incident) so that they had to sign such thing.

It should be noted that, in the TV series, America didn't actually *give* Japan EVA-03. There are a combination American and Japanese personnel talking during 03's start-up, which would be easy reason to argue that it's actually a joint operation, if not an American operation simply being conducted on Japanese soil.

If the movie mimics this at all (and it seems that it does, otherwise there's no reason for Japan to be *forced* to activate something they have complete control of), then automatically the limiter treaty shouldn't even apply since Unit 03 would still be American property. It's the same principle as sending your own country's troops as foreign aid to another country at war. The troops aren't considered to literally be part of the foreign country's army.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:04 pm

It also seems Eva-02 is under European control, but the details of the treaty was talked about earlier (which was why I missed it in the conversation with Asuka while Eva-02 was being put away) and there's probably more context to it then. Someone will have to translate it from the transcript.

日向 僕が言うのも何なんですが、これだけダメージが大きいとエヴァの運用に支障が出てます。バチカン条約、破棄していいんじゃないですか?

ミサト そうよね…条約で各国のエヴァ保有数が3体までと決められてるけど、3体だけだとやりくりきかないもの*

マヤ 初号機優先で修理してますが…すべてのパーツをやりくりしてなんとかという感じです。0号機まではとても手はまわっていません

リツコ バチカン条約には各国のエゴがが絡んでいるもの。まず改正はムリね。おまけに5号機の件でユーロとロシアとアジアに介入してるみたいだし、政治が絡むといろいろ厄介ね

マヤ 使徒と戦う前にやることが多すぎですよ

UltraBlackPilot
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby UltraBlackPilot » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:34 pm

But it wouldnt matter since EVAs have a limted range of mobiltity, so theres no way Japan could invade a country with an EVA. They could try while using the 5 miuntes of battery time, but it still wouldnt matter because they can't swim eithter.
Currently dying of love overdose.
It hurts.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”