Eva Piloting

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Combs
Matarael
Matarael

Eva Piloting [SPOILERS]

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:44 pm

So far in the rebuild continuity... is it viably confirmed that unit-01 has yui's soul and Rei lilith's? if this is untruth and it turns out all eva's dont have souls this time around, as such why mari can pilot unit 02 and Asuka unit 03, then perhaps unit-01 gains yui's soul from Rei. (unless they have abandoned the concept of souls altogether?)

Edit: split into a new thread eh?
Last edited by Combs on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:17 pm

Combs wrote:is it viably confirmed that unit-01 has yui's soul

Gendo referring to Eva-01 as "Yui" (when the dummy system is no go) is a tad suspect.

It'll be hard to explain a lot of the weirdness that happens at the end of 2.0 unless Rei has a "special" soul.

Eva-03 could possibly be explained if the Eva "core units" allow quick soul swapping between Evas. Like you don't have to surgically remove the core itself, you just have to take out the soul-containing "core unit", whatever the hell that is.

Mari can do whatever she wants because she's a space robot.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Desty_Nova
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Desty_Nova » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:40 pm

If it were possible to remove the soul from an eva one would think gendo Would have had yuis soul transferred into a clone

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:43 pm

Rei's soul has always been special tho :smirk:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:46 pm

Desty_Nova wrote:If it were possible to remove the soul from an eva one would think gendo Would have had yuis soul transferred into a clone

Eva-01 is very nuclear-retentive.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:11 pm

Desty_Nova wrote:If it were possible to remove the soul from an eva one would think gendo Would have had yuis soul transferred into a clone

It's also possible Gendo's plan was never to get Yui back, that in Rebuild, Gendo was aware of Yui's plans and are working together toward a mutual goal.

Desty_Nova
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Desty_Nova » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:29 pm

Perhaps but i dont think he is able to communicate with her. if it were possible, getting her out of the eva seems orders of magnitude easier than hijacking instrumentality

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:40 pm

Reichu wrote:Mari can do whatever she wants because she's a FAR.

Fixed.

As for the soul business, it's pretty clear to me that the Eva's and Rei have all the souls they're supposed to. Either Mari is somehow able to haxx0r Evas similar to how Kaworu did, Mari holds the other half of Kyoko's soul or something, or Evangelions in the Rebuild continuity have some sort of mechanism that overrides the plug similar to the Dummy system, but with accommodated for pilots.[/quote]

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:46 pm

that doesnt explain the change with the bardiel incedent though

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:49 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:Mari holds the other half of Kyoko's soul or something,

This strangely makes a bit of sense.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:21 pm

It's just plain not going to make sense until the third movie comes out.

1.0 was perfectly fine when it implicitly carried over the soul / synchronization gimmick. However, the moment 2.0 put Asuka in EVA-03 without any particular explanation retroactively made a mess out of 1.0's needing Rei specifically for 00 and Shinji specifically for 01.

NERV's actions confirm that anybody could hop into EVA-02 and EVA-03. The "Skeleton Key" Mari theory is pointless because simply re-assigning EVA-02's synchronized pilot anywhere else already shows that anybody could be the back-up pilot for 02 if it would need to re-activated in an emergency.

Yeah, it's obvious by the dialogue in 1.0 that Rei and Shinji are ultimately necessary to Gendou's plans, but the way 2.0 repaints the picture makes it sound as if there's really no reason to risk putting Lilith's valuable clone and Shinji The One-Of-A-Kind Third Impact Master Key on the battlefield when NERV could have just summoned Touji and Hikari as expendable temp pilots for the initial Angel battles.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:37 pm

The Asuka thing doesn't really work, since she was just a test pilot. It seems to me Unit 03 didn't even have a soul in it, and synchronization is only really necessary for stuff like big movements and AT Fields. Unless the Test Bodies during the 11th Angel's attack had souls too?

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:02 pm

...actually now that I think about it I guess the whole Asuka piloting Unit 03 makes a little sense.

Unit 02 is put into storage (i.e. taking out the core/Asuka's mommy's soul and transferring it into Unit 03) and then Asuka test pilots Unit 03.

Then concerning Mari....eehhhh...I have no idea.

Just my thoughts.

roblucci01
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby roblucci01 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:18 pm

schismatics wrote:...actually now that I think about it I guess the whole Asuka piloting Unit 03 makes a little sense.

Unit 02 is put into storage (i.e. taking out the core/Asuka's mommy's soul and transferring it into Unit 03) and then Asuka test pilots Unit 03.

Then concerning Mari....eehhhh...I have no idea.

Just my thoughts.

Theres a hole in that theory though.

Say 02's core is inside Unit-03 when Bardiel takes control of the Eva. Then when the dummy plug is used to destroy Unit-03, as Unit-01 did in the original series, wouldn't the entirety of Eva-03 (Including the 02 core) be destroyed?

In the original series, I remember Unit-03 being completely annihilated, including the core, and I don't think thats any exception in Rebuild.

Heres my theory: In Rebuild, pilots don't need the souls of their respective mothers in the Evangelions for them to sync in the need of basic functions (though the soul of ones mother I would assume improves performance at the very least), and that Yui and Kyoko were merely "accidentally" fused into their Eva's in comparison to the original series.
I hate the internet

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:24 pm

It's all about fighting spirit. Plain and simple.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:33 pm

maybe they abandoned contact experiments after 02? so that 03 and so on wouldn't have any requirements of the pilots. if this works then it makes that bit about mari being the other half of kyoko more feasible
i want rebuild

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:40 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:Unless the Test Bodies during the 11th Angel's attack had souls too?

They were indirectly linked to the respective Evas. What the real point of that experiment was, I have no idea.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:41 pm

^ To get the cast's three core underage characters NAKID.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:45 pm

i was rewatching the bardiel episode a few days ago and i noticed that one of the random english speaking people talked about syncing up a data link with unit 01. maybe this could have something to do with what happened in 2.0

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:31 pm

I don't think we've ever resolved what the hell that meant for NGE, let alone a possible Rebuild tie-in......
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”