The "Sequel Theory" Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment is scheduled to debut in Japan at some date to be announced.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

catinajar
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 130
Joined: Jun 28, 2009
Location: Nottingham, England

Postby catinajar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:53 am

All I have to say on the 'dream theory' front is that I have NO idea whose messed up dream it would be. Shinji's during the instrumentality process? Misato's after one too many Yebichu? Pen pen's after some bad fish?
Regardless, I'm hoping that isn't the way it turns out because it would be a crying shame and a real disappointment to a hell of a lot of people. I know that Anno is unlikely to care but I think it would bring the whole work into question, and he obviously doesn't particularly want that.
Unless he does.
Oh who KNOWS.
'I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....

'Shinji really shines in the hospital scene' - LiLi on the... ah-hem... 'Beautiful Boy' ;)

LiLi
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate
User avatar
Posts: 1907
Joined: Jun 20, 2009
Location: Osaka-fu
Gender: Female
Contact:

Postby LiLi » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:59 am

@ catinajar

Who knows, maybe it's the Puchi Eva characters dreaming they're awesome Eva pilots fighting to save the world?

If it does turn out to be a dream sequence, let's marathon through Puchi Eva together and then cry ourselves to sleep... :shinji_boohoo:

Maybe we'll dream it wasn't a dream sequence!
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was [email protected] at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

catinajar
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 130
Joined: Jun 28, 2009
Location: Nottingham, England

Postby catinajar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:23 am

@LiLi
I have seen but one episode of Puchi Eva and after watching with Gendo likes to do with video cameras around young girls, I would imagine that he is probably in the best position to have a messed up dream such as Webuild.
I think if it turned out that Puchi Eva, or for that matter 'Angelic Days' was involved in any way, we'd be justified in weeping ourselves to sleep to dream of a DECENT ENDING.

HOWEVER. As for the sequel theory, I'm not sure why people are grabbing onto the 'this time' of Lili's translation from Kaworu's bit of the 26 min rip. 'I want to make you happy this time' or something like that. Maybe Kaworu has been able to observe Shinji and has seen how hard he's tried with Gendo, only to be spurned and further upset? It's not like he has to have actually gone through instrumentality before to have tried to be happy in the past.
Also, with Shinji surviving 3I, if this is set AFTER that, how come Shinji appears to have no memory of it all 'happening before'. Or are we saying that THIS Shinji is Ikari's great grandchild or something.

The series, EoE and Rebuild will always be linked whether philosophically or via similarities/differences in plot, but I'm still very against this sequel theory. Still, that is just my theory. So really we are no further forward.......
t
'I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....

'Shinji really shines in the hospital scene' - LiLi on the... ah-hem... 'Beautiful Boy' ;)

LiLi
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate
User avatar
Posts: 1907
Joined: Jun 20, 2009
Location: Osaka-fu
Gender: Female
Contact:

Postby LiLi » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:17 am

catinajar wrote:@LiLi
I have seen but one episode of Puchi Eva and after watching with Gendo likes to do with video cameras around young girls, I would imagine that he is probably in the best position to have a messed up dream such as Webuild.


That is one of the most disturbing Eva episodes, IMO.
Behind the cool 'tude, Gendo truly is a sorry, pathetic man...
Yui needs to spank him. Hard.

As for Kaworu... *nods* Like I said before, I think Kaworu's wording sounds... deliberately ambiguous?

As entertaining and thought-provoking as Director Anno's ambiguous sequel-hinting-trolling might be, I think personally I'd rather Webuild be a proper Rebuild of Eva rather than a sequel...
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was [email protected] at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

catinajar
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 130
Joined: Jun 28, 2009
Location: Nottingham, England

Postby catinajar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:41 am

@Lili
I don't want to think about Gendo being spanked by ANYONE...yeuchk!
I don't think that Anno would be hinting here there and everywhere that this is a sequel if it actually was. Because let's face it, there are HINTS, but they are far outweighed by the evidence against.
If I'm wrong, I am prepared to be shot down by a Lance of Longinus when the truth is revealed...
'I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....

'Shinji really shines in the hospital scene' - LiLi on the... ah-hem... 'Beautiful Boy' ;)

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 3139
Joined: Jan 17, 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:03 am

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:You know the whole "EOE Dream" is something I'm kinda shooting for sadly.


Yeah, same here.


Sammaeloo wrote:Shinji,"I just the craziest dream!!"

Asuka,"What about?"

Shinji,"I...I really don't want to talk about it.."

Asuka,"How many times have I told you brewing the LCL into hard liquor is a bad idea!!"

Shinji,"Keep acting like that and I won't make more of my delicious soup for dinner tonight."

Asuka,"What, you mean lukewarm seawater and LCL?"

Shinji,"......you bitch.."


There is just something incredibly awesome about this.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Lleonard Pler
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 130
Joined: Jan 18, 2007

Postby Lleonard Pler » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:21 am

LiLi wrote:
Lleonard Pler wrote:Possible explanation:

SPOILER: Show
Because the characters from Rebuild are not the characters from the series, but "different" people repeating the same story. Thus, the Yui inside the original EVA-01 (now 06) wouldn't be the Yui inside Rebuild's EVA-01.


Could you please elaborate on this?


My theory is

SPOILER: Show
...that EVA-01 from EoE flies through the universe for many years, centuries, eons maybe. During that time, the civilization after EoE becomes extint (whether everyone came back or Shinji & Asuka had to procreate). Someday, EVA-01 crashes onto a Moon, life begins in a nearby planet and History repeats once again.

Rebuild versions of Seele and Gendou are aware that a previous civilization existed, and that EVA-01/06/Adam (and Lillith?) are the remnants of that civilization.

All the characters had a look-alike ancestor who existed in the past, somewhere else, and lived similiar experiences, but they are not the same person (they can't be, as they are separated by space and time). Possibly, the only beings physically repeating between the original Series and Rebuild are: EVA-01 (now 06), the Angels (and Kaworu?).
Last edited by Lleonard Pler on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 244
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
Contact:

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:28 am

catinajar wrote:All I have to say on the 'dream theory' front is that I have NO idea whose messed up dream it would be. Shinji's during the instrumentality process? Misato's after one too many Yebichu? Pen pen's after some bad fish?
Regardless, I'm hoping that isn't the way it turns out because it would be a crying shame and a real disappointment to a hell of a lot of people. I know that Anno is unlikely to care but I think it would bring the whole work into question, and he obviously doesn't particularly want that.
Unless he does.
Oh who KNOWS.

Look at it this way. So far, Evangelion has two official endings: "Everybody Dies" and "whoops we don't have any money to make one."

If it were any other series and they did the "It was all a dream" ending, I would probably literally explode. I think it could be semi-passable in this case, though.

catinajar
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 130
Joined: Jun 28, 2009
Location: Nottingham, England

Postby catinajar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:55 am

I Accidentally Dracula wrote:Look at it this way. So far, Evangelion has two official endings: "Everybody Dies" and "whoops we don't have any money to make one."

If it were any other series and they did the "It was all a dream" ending, I would probably literally explode. I think it could be semi-passable in this case, though.


Everybody doesn't die, they get reduced to LCL and CAN come back if they decide to, and have the will. Which is different because it wasn't neccesarily an unhappy ending at all, it was just a very vague and open-ended one.
At the time Anno said that this was the Evangelion ending he would have made if their funding hadn't been cut...so he's clearly found SOME wonderful reason to remake the whole thing.

After all, why recreate an already classic series just to say that the remake is all nonsensical sleepy-time imaginations?
'I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....

'Shinji really shines in the hospital scene' - LiLi on the... ah-hem... 'Beautiful Boy' ;)

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 170
Joined: Jun 28, 2009

Postby OKdesuKA » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:24 am

Tab wrote:
OKdesuKA wrote:That is way too convenient and retarded to believe, died during the instrumentality process? How is that even possible if they were already dead before it was even initiated. Also Rei didn't appear before Asuka.

Image Someone didn't watch EoE very attentively.

Besides, Asuka came back in EoE. So that kind of makes your theory impossible.

ps this forum needs more :eng101:


I have probably watched EoE a lot more than you have. Yes I am fully aware she comes back, you obviously have no idea what I was implying with my theory.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 244
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
Contact:

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:26 am

catinajar wrote:Everybody doesn't die, they get reduced to LCL and CAN come back if they decide to, and have the will. Which is different because it wasn't neccesarily an unhappy ending at all, it was just a very vague and open-ended one.

Yes, but this calls on rampant speculation and interpretation that goes far beyond the story of the movie itself. "Everybody Dies" follows the movie's ad campaign and is a better over-all summary.

That, and I just have personal problems coping with the "Let's just literally WILL ourselves into existence!" thing that pops up from time to time in Japanese literature. Too many bad memories of Star Ocean 3, you know.

At the time Anno said that this was the Evangelion ending he would have made if their funding hadn't been cut...so he's clearly found SOME wonderful reason to remake the whole thing.

I dunno. Yoshiyuki Tomino remade Zeta Gundam as three movies just because he felt like it and evidently wanted to give it a slightly happier ending.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel
User avatar
Posts: 719
Joined: May 17, 2009

Postby BattleMonkey » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:27 am

Nuh uh, I've watched EoE a bazillion times.

LiLi
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate
User avatar
Posts: 1907
Joined: Jun 20, 2009
Location: Osaka-fu
Gender: Female
Contact:

Postby LiLi » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:36 am

catinajar wrote:I don't want to think about Gendo being spanked by ANYONE...yeuchk!


Not even Fuyutsuki?
Here, have some brain bleach...

catinajar wrote:I don't think that Anno would be hinting here there and everywhere that this is a sequel if it actually was.


Besides, wouldn't the trolling be a lot mightier if said hints turned out to have perfectly plausible explanations in-Rebuild-verse?

catinajar wrote:If I'm wrong, I am prepared to be shot down by a Lance of Longinus when the truth is revealed...


Which one? :chuckles: (J/K!!)

Lleonard Pler wrote:
My theory is

SPOILER: Show
...that EVA-01 from EoE flies through the universe for many years, centuries, eons maybe. During that time, the civilization after EoE becomes extint (whether everyone came back or Shinji & Asuka had to procreate). Someday, EVA-01 crashes onto a Moon, life begins in a nearby planet and History repeats once again.

Rebuild versions of Seele and Gendou are aware that a previous civilization existed, and that EVA-01/06/Adam (and Lillith?) are the remnants of that civilization.

All the characters had a look-alike ancestor who existed in the past, somewhere else, and lived similiar experiences, but they are not the same person (they can't be, as they are separated by space and time). Possibly, the only beings physically repeating between the original Series and Rebuild are: EVA-01 (now 06), the Angels (and Kaworu?).


Thank you for elaborating. I see... if I get it right, the first part is similar to the 'theory' I posted earlier, right?

But how would you explain the similarities, unless Yui did it all on purpose?
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was [email protected] at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 170
Joined: Jun 28, 2009

Postby OKdesuKA » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:48 am

That Shinji Ayanami avatar is so disturbing lol.

catinajar
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 130
Joined: Jun 28, 2009
Location: Nottingham, England

Postby catinajar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:54 am

I Accidentally Dracula wrote:Too many bad memories of Star Ocean 3, you know.


Bah, I feel you on that one. Still, that IS what the end was supposed to indicate I believe, and I think it was supposed to be a happier ending than perhaps 'everyone dies indicates. However, it is open to interpretation is it not?


I Accidentally Dracula wrote:I dunno. Yoshiyuki Tomino remade Zeta Gundam as three movies just because he felt like it and evidently wanted to give it a slightly happier ending.


That was what I meant, I'd much rather he was doing it for that reason and just leave it at that ending, rather than doing it to then turn round and say 'it was all a DREAM'
'I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....

'Shinji really shines in the hospital scene' - LiLi on the... ah-hem... 'Beautiful Boy' ;)

LiLi
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate
User avatar
Posts: 1907
Joined: Jun 20, 2009
Location: Osaka-fu
Gender: Female
Contact:

Postby LiLi » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:54 am

OKdesuKA wrote:That Shinji Ayanami avatar is so disturbing lol.


:shinji_blush: Disturbing? How? (Link goes to appropriate thread with the whole image) :boingy:
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was [email protected] at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 170
Joined: Jun 28, 2009

Postby OKdesuKA » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:02 pm

Well when I saw that avatar I just remembered that part of Rebuild when Shinji is in that subway and they keep repeating their names and eventually say "Shinji Ayanami" and well that picture reminded me of exactly that lol.

catinajar
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 130
Joined: Jun 28, 2009
Location: Nottingham, England

Postby catinajar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:05 pm

Lili

I think that I need a lobotomy after that Fuyutsuki suggestion, never mind the brain bleach!
HOWEVER you are right about the trolling, it wouldn't be trolling if those hints actually led us to the correct conclusion now, would they?

Oh, and I'd rather be speared by the old style Adam's LoL. I'm a traditionalist :grin:
'I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....I MUSTN'T RUN AWAY....

'Shinji really shines in the hospital scene' - LiLi on the... ah-hem... 'Beautiful Boy' ;)

Szmitten
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
Posts: 383
Joined: Sep 06, 2006

Postby Szmitten » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:08 pm

I'm gonna call that in the end, after all the films are done, it will still be ambiguous as to whether it's a sequel/same universe/whatever or not. It will break down to one group of people saying "it's a sequel look don't you see?" and another group saying "Anno: They see me trollin'..."

Barong
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 103
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Location: nowhere

Postby Barong » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:12 pm

Szmitten wrote:I'm gonna call that in the end, after all the films are done, it will still be ambiguous as to whether it's a sequel/same universe/whatever or not. It will break down to one group of people saying "it's a sequel look don't you see?" and another group saying "Anno: They see me trollin'..."


I'm pretty sure it'll come to this as well.
There certainly won't be a scene where Kaworu or whomever explains in great detail exactly what the hell is going down. Bits and pieces, hints and even more red herrings will be dropped, so that more than one (hopefully plausible) explanation could be put together in the aftermath.
and he who forgets will be destined to remember


Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BernardoCairo and 7 guests