Something horrible...

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:53 pm

Remember that neither Kensuke nor Toji had to suffer being abandoned by the ones that should've cared the most. As far as I can tell, both of their fathers are still around.
Asuka > Rei

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:09 pm

Woo, it's fun to see someone butting heads with Uncle Steve about shipping other than me. (I swore off it, so let's see what'll happen with my prompting... 8) )

I don't think Asuka's dad abandoned her per se... He's married to the lady Asuka was chatting with in #22 (with whom he was doing naughty things even while Kyoko babbled on in the other room), so I would say she's still connected to the Langley household. Now, as far as his paternal duties went, one can probably say with a fair degree of confidence that he wasn't doing a very good job.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:23 am

Reichu wrote:I don't think Asuka's dad abandoned her per se... He's married to the lady Asuka was chatting with in #22 (with whom he was doing naughty things even while Kyoko babbled on in the other room), so I would say she's still connected to the Langley household. Now, as far as his paternal duties went, one can probably say with a fair degree of confidence that he wasn't doing a very good job.

So you could say the he abandoned her in that sense, huh? Am I right? AM I RIGHT?! :P
Asuka > Rei

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:13 am

Reichu wrote:I swore off it

A pity, since I still can't fathom how Rei's line about taking a positive attitude to life with restored AT fields (trusting to theory-of-mind being adequate, in the absence of direct communication) supports Shinji/anyone - other than Shinji/life-in-general, as per the end of 26 - between the AU section and "Congratulations!" to which it is analogous.

Ryo wrote:So you could say the he abandoned her in that sense

But she still manages enough of a formal relationship with her family - with her step-mother at least - (as in the 'phone call in ep22), even if that may be of the form that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Asuka's flashbacks suggest more that she left home (emotionally, if not physically), however pre-emptively that was, rather than being abandoned.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:19 am

Mr. Tines wrote:A pity, since I still can't fathom how Rei's line about taking a positive attitude to life with restored AT fields (trusting to theory-of-mind being adequate, in the absence of direct communication) supports Shinji/anyone - other than Shinji/life-in-general, as per the end of 26 - between the AU section and "Congratulations!" to which it is analogous.

I don't see how it's a pity, considering you front-up said that no amount of persuasion would make you look at the matter any differently.

Rei's line about people one day understanding each other -- erghhh, it's hard to explain. I guess it's not really proof of anything, so forget it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:48 am

Reichu wrote:I don't see how it's a pity, considering you front-up said that no amount of persuasion would make you look at the matter any differently.

I said barring something unforeseeable, and not a categorical never.

I am still interested in understanding the other point of view, and what the differences might be that lead to such opposed conclusions.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”