The Wall vs. Evangelion...a little project I have in mind

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Sun May 17, 2009 7:24 pm

Okay, back to "The Trial"!

The judge, of course, is Giant Naked Rei--Lilith comes off the cross, peels off the mask and reveals the change at the guitar hit. Rei's face is a face of absolute flaming anger as she roars her verdict at Shinji.

EDIT--6/8/09: Just had a very unusual idea--it might be a better idea if we ended the Trial Sequence on a visual gag and reveal the Judge to be Pen Pen! The setup is perfect: the judge, at first, is a tall shadowy figure; in fact, he's a black shadow with two glowing green dots for eyes and a long, white judge's wig. Long, draping robes of black velvet complete the effect. Then, at the guitar solo, the thing sheds its black robes to reveal Pen Pen sitting on a very high stool (or in a high-chair) as he roars the verdict through a microphone.

We see a lot of "surreal mindscrewy" stuff before reaching the monumental climax featuring explosions from EoE, Akira, and other anime of the same genre. (The accompanying SFX are from the 1982 film of The Wall.)

OUTSIDE THE WALL:

The stuff from the very end, with Asuka and Shinji on the beach, followed by some of the live-action footage from EoE and using the 1982 movie's version of the song. Let the live-action stuff run for about a minute and then fade to the credits.
Last edited by Sharaz Destler on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Sun May 31, 2009 12:34 pm

I've started work on a number of sketches for the presentation book I'm working on. They include:
    Evil Prosecutor Kaworu, first version
    A new version of the Gendo Monster
    A new version of the Asuka Monster
    A stage design concept sketch (basic layout and all that)
    A sketch of Asuka's doll
    A design for Shinji/Gendo's fascist-rally costume
    "BLOODY LIES" version of the Second Impact textbook article
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

Fast Tony DeNiro
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fast Tony DeNiro » Sun May 31, 2009 11:58 pm

If you still wanted to try using some Floyd songs that aren't actually on The Wall, you could use some songs from The Final Cut. It's got the same mood throughout, and a few of the songs on that album are actually songs written for The Wall that didn't get used.

And I'm surprised you didn't use Yui or Kyoko at all in your video for Mother.

Awesome idea, by the way.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:08 am

I need to watch The Wall now.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:29 pm

Fast Tony DeNiro wrote:If you still wanted to try using some Floyd songs that aren't actually on The Wall, you could use some songs from The Final Cut. It's got the same mood throughout, and a few of the songs on that album are actually songs written for The Wall that didn't get used.

And I'm surprised you didn't use Yui or Kyoko at all in your video for Mother.

Awesome idea, by the way.

1: I actually had considered using "The Final Cut" for just after the Trial sequence, if only for that final line: "I didn't have the nerve to make the final cut", so Third Impact fails.

2: Yeah. I was thinking it's been done before. Besides, isn't the MAGI computer system a bit like a mother in any sense of the term (e.g interferes in decision-making)? Furthermore,
SPOILER: Show
Rit-chan's mom basically put herself inside the MAGI, after a fashion
so I'm at least half-right.

For some reason, the lyrics just didn't fit one specific mother figure...

3: Why, thank you.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:31 pm

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:I need to watch The Wall now.

Try the Berlin 1990 DVD first, since that's more in the direction I'm headed in. Never did actually like the 1982 feature film myself.

Fast Tony DeNiro
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fast Tony DeNiro » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:14 am

Sharaz Destler wrote:2: Yeah. I was thinking it's been done before. Besides, isn't the MAGI computer system a bit like a mother in any sense of the term (e.g interferes in decision-making)? Furthermore,
SPOILER: Show
Rit-chan's mom basically put herself inside the MAGI, after a fashion
so I'm at least half-right.

For some reason, the lyrics just didn't fit one specific mother figure...

I figured you skipped out on the idea because it seemed a little too obvious.

Also, for Vera, maybe something based on Shinji and Rei's interaction? A short clip of her self-destructing, Shinji finding out about the dummy plug and trying to cope with that, and maybe a little bit of 50-mile tall Rei? I don't know just a thought.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:12 pm

Hmm, could be an interesting idea...though I'm not exactly sure how popular Vera Lynn was in Japan! :ting:

Just in case I didn't clarify this earlier (I often have that effect on people!), the premise of this project is to translate the entire narrative of The Wall into the world of Evangelion and perform it as a stage show at ACEN 2015. Yes, yes, even I'm a bit scared of how this behemoth will turn out in the end...will it be an Awesome Godzilla, or will it look like that thing from Watchmen?

Oh, that reminds me, Tony--an earlier draft replaced "Outside the Wall" with Roger Waters' new song "Hello (I Love You)" from The Last Mimzy. Beautiful song...it was my personal theme song when I graduated from Moraine Valley. I may throw it in again sometime in the future.

Fast Tony DeNiro
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fast Tony DeNiro » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:11 am

I think it's imperative you get Arnold Layne in there put to scenes of Shinji dressed in Asuka's plugsuit and/or dressed like Asuka from episode 9.

Just sayin....I know it's supposed to be The Wall but that's too perfect to pass up in my opinion.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:23 pm

If only he did that more often, I'd have something there to work with...ah well, I suppose I can't have *everything*.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:57 pm

I have a new idea: the mocking chorus of voices ("Crazy, over the rainbow he is crazy") are represented by a bunch of MP-Eva sock puppets, or at least animated versions of them.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:14 am

Oh... my... god.

This has the potential to be better than Rebuild ffs.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:24 am

I'm thinking about contacting StarkRavenMadd and asking her if she'll help me with the Trial sequence in the manner of her "Back and Forth" video for Dr. Steel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVvlVHdLCx0&feature=PlayList&p=E298874896271CB9&index=0&playnext=1

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:58 am

By the way, Roland Emmerich's 2012 will be in theaters this November. It should give me all the material I need for "In the Flesh?".

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:53 am

Everyone, I am about to take the plunge and sign onto the ACen forums to plug this thing. Here's hoping I don't get laughed out of there...

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 am

Can't post at the ACen forum for some blessed reason. I'll try again with a different user name this weekend.

Meantime, I have another update: "Don't Leave Me Now" is an Asuka song. She's blaming Shinji for not showing her any affection even as she isn't doing anything to inspire him to show affection!

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:33 pm

A drawing of Judge Pen-Pen is completed, as is a coloring of the Gendo Monster. Both are forthcoming next week.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:54 am

There's a program available at Office Max called Anime Studio 6 that I think I might be able to make use of when I go to create the Trial sequence. Can anyone give me some information on it?

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:26 pm

Another idea for "In the Flesh, Part 2": I'd kinda like to take a leaf from Roger Waters' original concepts for the 1982 movie, and have a special-effects sequence of a rock-n-roll audience turning to LCL at the song's end. Dunno how I'd pull this off (CGI, maybe).

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:51 pm

UPDATE, 8/21/09: Very good news, folks!

I think I told you earlier that I've been trying to play guitar (can't remember if I actually did, it's been that long). Well, guess what? I've just figured out how to read open chords and tabulatures, and I've been steadily plowing my way through a sheet of left-handed guitar chords, as I have to have my right-handed Ibanez specially strung for left-handed play.

So, chord reading. What I learned was I have to read the chord signature as if I had my chin on the guitar and look at the neck that way--a very strange image, to be sure.

| |
| |
| |
| | These vertical lines indicate the strings going DOWN from the left.
| | For the sake of space, I've started with the first two, so that the
| | idea gets across.
v v
------>
------>
These two horizontal lines indicate which fret I'm supposed to read, going across each string (can't quite do it with a PC keyboard, but oh well).

I'm not entirely certain what I was doing *wrong* now that I have it right, and I feel it's a major accomplishment which should make everything so much easier.

Return to “Fan Works”