BIG NEWS: Eva 1.0 to Screen On 77 North American Screens

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

BIG NEWS: Eva 1.0 to Screen On 77 North American Screens

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:33 pm

I stand corrected. Instead of a mere couple theaters Funimation is giving the film a proper super limited theatrical release.
Problem is it's almost all in Canada.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-06-12/eva-1.0-film-on-70+n-american-screens-this-summer

And a dub trailer:

http://www.funimation.com/Evangelion/

IMO: Not particularly fond of new Gendo and Ritsuko. No Rei curiously. Allison Keith is the one delight I might find in it.

P.S. Looks like it's the original theatrical release too cause Shamshel ribcage thing is doing that crazy scuttling thing that was taken out of 1.01 on.
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:46 pm

Misato sounds awesome and a lot better than the series for some reason. Shinji still sounds like his balls are in limbo. Ritsuko doesn't sound bad. No opinion on Gendo.

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:19 pm

Great news. Thanks GendosPapa. I have a good chance of seeing this dub now.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:29 pm

News post made.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:38 pm

This is great! I wish it showed a little bit more but it was still great. I am looking forward to this. It looks like I have to get a little used to Ritsuko's new voice and Gendo's to.

Still looking forward to the release! :leekspin:

Unless a camrip is leaked onto the interwebs I am going to have to wait till it comes out on DVD or Blue-Ray.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:44 pm

The voices sound great except for Gendo and Ritsuko, but their voices are still okay. I guess we still need to used to the new voice actors. Shini's screams still sound great after all these years.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:46 pm

Gendo reminds me a little too much of Colonel Campbell from MGS. Otherwise it's a pretty kickass trailer, and it's shaping up to be a decent dub from the looks of it.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:55 pm

Timstuff wrote:Gendo reminds me a little too much of Colonel Campbell from MGS.

Could you imagine Gendo saying
Shinji get out of there! Shinji? Shinji?! SHIIIIIINNNNNJJIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!

Nah. He'd do that for Rei.
Misato would do that for Shinji. :leekspin:
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Oww....

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:04 pm

Just watched the dub trailer... still cleaning up the blood that leaked out of my ears from the sheer awfulness...

/not that it's worse than expected, dubs just don't work when you've already got the original Japanese VAs in one's head for any given title.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:33 pm

wtf is up with all these Canada dates? O_o

you would think there would have been at least ONE showing of dubbed Eva 1.0 in each of the top five or ten U.S. metro/urban centers, they did that with the release of N. American dubbed films like those from Miyazaki, among others

is Canada thought to be a bigger market than the U.S. now by FUNimation? if so, where is the data on this and when did this transformation happen?
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:57 pm

Misato sounds almost completely different. Is Keith a heavy smoker?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:22 am

Ffffff......

I'm moving to Edmonton in September for grad school. I might actually get to see this in a theatre.....

:pray:
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:25 am

damn canadians

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:25 am

I still can't believe that the closest screening to me is in freaking BOSTON... That's a 2.5 hour drive away for me, so there's really not much chance of me seeing it unless I can get on a train. I'm broke right now anyway, so it's not like I should be thinking about spending nearly $40 on a round trip including the movie ticket and at least one meal. :(

DARNIT Funimation, you can put it in 70 theaters in Canada, but like 4 in the US? Unfair.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:34 am

i guess by showing it to a country where half the people speak french, most of them won't notice the bad voice acting and corny dialogue

"There are others like you. Other children burdened with the task of protecting our home."

:argh:

and 1.0 footage, sigh. At least its without the darkness

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:42 am

Regardless of how unpleasant it is for us silly people in the United States, it is nice to see Funimation have the confidence to give it a real theatrical release. My hope is they're working closely with Khara in hopes of bringing Evangelion 2.0 to North American dubbed shores in roughly a year's time.

Any good performances financially done by Funimation with this first film would only expediate any business transactions in relation to 2.0 and on.

I mean based on the "quality" of the English dub vocal performances I bet they can knock out one of these films in a long weekend.

Boston is also the closest screening to me and while I have a few friends who live there, I've yet to visit them in the 3 years they've been there. I'd feel like quite an ass to suddenly show up at their place so I can watch a "Cartoon" in their city.

Also being mostly broke doesn't help me either.

Maximilian
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Maximilian » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:20 am

From what I can tell, this seems like a marked improvement in the VA category. And I think Gendo's line about "other children" is probably just for the trailer. And I don't really think it's that corny. It's a trailer, after all. Imagine someone who's never seen Eva before, that's a line that would draw some in.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:23 am

Yeah, the Gendo monologue definitely sounds like "trailer dialogue" rather than actual dialogue from the film. I don't remember him giving a speech like that in the Japanese version, and can't really think of where it would fit in even if they were taking creative license.

LOL... My imagination is running wild with the "Colonel Campbell is Gendo" thing...

Shinji: "Commander, what's this giant cube thing?"

GENDO: "Shinji, that angel's name is Ramiel. It may look like a cube, but it's actually a deadly floating fortress! Don't get in it's firing range, or it'll vaporize you!"

Shinji: "But how am I supposed to hit it?"

GENDO: "You'll need to hit it with a long range weapon, like a sniper rifle."

Shinji: "Wait, you mean I have to backtrack all the way to the armory building!?"

:toothy:

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:28 am

Ugh...No screenings for Maryland? Damn it, it looks like I have to wait another five months for the DVD to come out. On the other hand, the dub trailer is not too bad and I will be happy to see the movie again since I really enjoy it.

I really hope it was the screen in DC that was so bright not the movie it self since that really annoyed me when I saw the movie back in March.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:31 am

I am very impressed with the dub trailer. I like Ritsuko's new VA but sadly, I didn't get to her Rei's or Fuyutsuki's.

Maximilian wrote: And I think Gendo's line about "other children" is probably just for the trailer.

That was Gendo?
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”