(Second) Evas vs. Angels Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:05 am

I call that trophy :)

After I i work out one more design idea I will start attempting to draw this monstrosity. Might not be too great but i'll get the design across.

Unless of course someone someone would like to be hired as an artist? :)

My Background story is pretty much done, might need to be tweaked if changes are made to the design. I will also be doing a quick mock episode for it.

chazthesilencer
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:02 am

I'm probably about to put my foot in it now...
but seeing as I'm done with my stuff-

I might assist others with their artwork, if asked.

Alternatively- I could just point you to the "Drawing"
toolbar in Word, and tell you to have a good play with it.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby PuppetChaos » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:06 pm

I got the PM, but being slow sometimes, I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to reply to the PM, but post in here! Durrrrr....

I've got the rough design and abilities mapped out. I know what direction I'm going in, and I've got a good idea of the background/story.

Axell wrote:I call that trophy :)

Don't be so sure. :nyao:

God I love that smiley.
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

devil_eAter
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby devil_eAter » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:16 pm

I would like to design one.
Fred Phelps sucks....

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:06 pm

since i cant draw to well, i may end up shooping some closely related images to get my point across. Would there be a problem with that?

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:12 pm

devil_eAter wrote:I would like to design one.

Welcome back, buddy! Hope you do well again this time!

As of June 3, 10:58 AM EST:

Designers:
    Sachi_13
    chazthesilencer
    PuppetChaos
    Heinkel
    AyrYntake
    Axell
    devil_eAter

Judges:
    Legendary
    NemZ
    UrsusArctos
    Omegagouki

We are still doing well so far. I would like to attract more people though...

I'm pretty close to implementing the "Best Story" Award for this Contest. However, I am a bit concerned about how it can be interpreted. The Award can either praise an Angel that has the most entertaining back story or an Angel that has the best fight scene. Both of those are two slightly different things, yet they are being Judged under one roof. Does anyone need clarifying on this, or should we restrict the types of interpretations allowed and make the Award more specific?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:28 am

I think Best Scenario better captures it's meaning.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:18 pm

Axell wrote:since i cant draw to well, i may end up shooping some closely related images to get my point across. Would there be a problem with that?

I think that would be acceptable: for example I myself faced a similar handicap and used reference pictures to help describe my Angel. This is all being judged by your talent, do what you can.

NemZ wrote:I think Best Scenario better captures it's meaning.

Perhaps. However, the Award (whether you apply in based on a backstory or a fight scene) is used to recognize one skill: story composition. In that sense, a "Best Story" and "Best Scenario/Scene" Award are the same: the guy with the best creativity in writing and most able to draft a scene wins.

I also would find it problematic to split the Award into one for the best encounter and one with the best backstory: it just seems combersome now and the two could even cross over one another. We might get Awards that are too similar this time.

With this, I'm gonna bring this up with the other Judges to see what they think.

UrsusArctos
And I was never here...
And I was never here...

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:31 pm

I don't think backstory really counts for an Angel, unless you're going for a Vessel like Kaworu or Rei. The Angels in the show itself don't have much of a backstory to speak of, but are characterized by their encounters. They let their actions and what it takes to beat them, rather than their past, do the talking.

Using that reasoning, I think the "Best Story" award should be reserved for characters, and not Angels. If we do get a lot of Angels that interact with NGE characters in a manner that qualifies them as characters themselves, "Best Story" could be applied to said Angels with "Best Encounter" being kept for the non-character Angels.
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:05 am

TL;DR might return. I will sort out my summer schedule before any final decisions appear here. Expect a yes.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:44 pm

Surprise surprise! I'm not going to participate this year. Too many projects myself this summer. I'll sit back and watch the fireworks.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:12 am

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:Surprise surprise! I'm not going to participate this year. Too many projects myself this summer. I'll sit back and watch the fireworks.

Damn, sorry to hear that. And here I was hoping that we could see a repeat performance from you this year, as last year's Uriel was so damn epic (my mind is still boggled by it).

Based on the responses and arguments of the other Judges, I've decided to make the "Best Scenario" Award official:

Best Scenario: This Award is given in recognition of an Angel with the most interesting encounter, setting and/or battle. Attention will be paid to the Designer's background descriptions concerning the origins of the Angel, introduction into the NGE universe, interactions with the NGE cast and specific challenges in combat (use of abilities, situations, etc).

Perhaps next year we can have a "Best Story" Award, when people have a better feel for the attitude of the Contest and try their hand at attacking the mythology of the Angels.

In other news, I was wondering if anyone would like to try designing the Award Metals for this year: lately, I have been having trouble in assembling them and I have been bogged down with other work both unrelated and related to this Contest. They are pretty quick and simple to make on Photoshop, if you know what you are doing. If any one would like to try their hand at making the Metals, let me know. Otherwise, we may have to settle with rehashes from last year...

And in another development, I wanted to know what after-Contest statistics that people would like to see. Historically, I kept track of the number of Awards won per Designer, how many of each Class levels of Angels there were, etc. But what are other things people would like to see represented in bar graph form and compared with other Designs?

Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Avatar of Dreams » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:53 pm

Chowwow wrote:In other news, I was wondering if anyone would like to try designing the Award Metals for this year: lately, I have been having trouble in assembling them and I have been bogged down with other work both unrelated and related to this Contest. They are pretty quick and simple to make on Photoshop, if you know what you are doing. If any one would like to try their hand at making the Metals, let me know. Otherwise, we may have to settle with rehashes from last year...

Sure, I'll help out if you need an extra hand. I recently downloaded CS3 so it would be a good exercise for a photoshop newbie like me.

Unfortunately I will not be participating in the design contest this time around (no clue on what kind of Angel to do) though I wish everyone participating good luck! :grin:

EDIT: PMed you my initial medal design Chowwow.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:01 pm

LOL Thanks Chow. If possible, I might be able to participate in this year's Lilim contest or something, but definately next summer's Angel contest.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:12 am

Here is a prototype Award by former Angel Contest Designer Avatar of Dreams:

I think the Medal looks quite good: it's got a lot of detail and looks skillfully done. It looks a bit plain, though, as there is only one color and there are some empty spaces in the medal.

I wanted to know what everyone else thinks of this? It is still unfinished, but the basic form and idea is in place.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:27 am

I like it. Nice, mass-producable, shiny.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:36 am

Could do with a bit of smoothing on some of those edges.

UrsusArctos
And I was never here...
And I was never here...

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:42 am

Jaggies can always be smoothed out, and the design can be made more elaborate. The base design is pretty good. It would be best if each medal were made distinct, with slightly different styling and a different color, while keeping the same basic layout.
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:58 pm

O.O shiny!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:29 pm

Simple but classy... I like it.

Did you make that in photoshop? Illustrator would likely be more appropriate.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Fan Works”