Evangelion 1.0 English dub premieres next month in Texas

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
JupiterCallisto
Lilith

Evangelion 1.0 English dub premieres next month in Texas

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:53 pm

This is probaly the reason they got the movie rated by the MPAA.
Proof : http://www.activeanime.com/html/content/view/5070/36/
Quick...somebody go and tell us did they edit anything!

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:56 pm

That's in my city but why the hell would I want to see the dub? Convince me why I should go, EGF.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:12 pm

1) Telling us if it's decent for an Eva dub.

2) Telling us if anything was edited from the showing.

:thumbsup:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:46 pm

Well strictly speaking, if they've actually made a print of the film on 35mm and aren't just playing the DVD played in a movie theater you will be seeing the best image quality version of Eva 1.0 on the planet!

Far better image quality, depth, and magic than anything Blu-Ray can give you. Even now the best way to see how a movie really looks is on film in a theater.

So call the theater and find out if it's on FILM.
Even if it is the dub it's a far better way to see it than the rest of non-Japanese located people can.

If it's just the DVD blown up large, forget it.

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby PuppetChaos » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:21 pm

Well, I'd see it if I lived in Texas. I mean, sure, the dub might suck (but who knows, it might be good! What?!) ...but this is the sort of movie I want to see in a theater. I'm a bit tired of squinting at a computer screen.
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:39 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Well strictly speaking, if they've actually made a print of the film on 35mm and aren't just playing the DVD played in a movie theater you will be seeing the best image quality version of Eva 1.0 on the planet!

Far better image quality, depth, and magic than anything Blu-Ray can give you. Even now the best way to see how a movie really looks is on film in a theater.

So call the theater and find out if it's on FILM.
Even if it is the dub it's a far better way to see it than the rest of non-Japanese located people can.

If it's just the DVD blown up large, forget it.

Not entirely true. Film is great, but its quality can degrade overtime with scratches. Sometimes those machines can cause a nice scrape on a frame. Also, many times have I gone to a theater only to find out that the lens is out of focus on the edges.

They will not upscale the DVD. Chances are this will be a 2K Digital projection. 2K resolution is 2048x1080. Remember, 1.0 was rendered on computers. I doubt (though I could be wrong) that a 4K (3996x2160) render was made. Oh did you notice; 2K and 1080p have almost the same resolution. So you will get Blu-ray quality even if they project it in film.

The Invincible Shinji
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby The Invincible Shinji » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:39 pm

PuppetChaos wrote:..but this is the sort of movie I want to see in a theater. I'm a bit tired of squinting at a computer screen.
Same here. It would be nice to see it in theaters and find out what the english dub is like ...if i only lived in Texas. :raincloud:
I'm an A/S shipper and Soryu and Shikinami are one in the same.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:43 pm

Arguably yes a film can downgrade over time with scratches (though I have a softness for the minute almost unoticeable ones) and also yes, if the theater is doing a shitty job that can ruin the image quality in a similar manner like a bad digital transfer.

BUT- if this showing was on film the print would be so fresh there'd be no scratches.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:47 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Arguably yes a film can downgrade over time with scratches (though I have a softness for the minute almost unoticeable ones) and also yes, if the theater is doing a shitty job that can ruin the image quality in a similar manner like a bad digital transfer.

BUT- if this showing was on film the print would be so fresh there'd be no scratches.

I should also mention that Film prints of Digital renders are used if the theater cannot accommodate Digital Cinema (i.e. a 2K/4K projector).

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:48 pm

AFAIK all current blu-ray releases are 24-bit color, whereas digital projection is 36-bit color (i.e. far better contrast and clarity), and mastering for film is typically done with 48-bit color.

And any LCD TV is crap when compared to a professional digital projection system, as far as contrast goes.

Blu-ray is not theater quality, unless the theater is screwing something up.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

thedarkorb
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby thedarkorb » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:01 pm

WIN!

Alamo draft house is literally 10 minutes from where I live.

I'll be there.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:51 pm

Something tells me they have the wrong trailer up...

At least they're helping fans get excited about 2.0? :lol: Though fans that go see 1.0 and went onto that website are gonna be so confused why Asuka and the "new girl" aren't there....
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:20 pm

I wonder what peoples' response to the dubbed voices will be. I wonder if they will be good.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:24 pm

I may go see it and write up a review of/thoughts on the dub for the front page. I'm 100% sub fan when it comes to almost anything, but I'll give my honest thoughts.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:38 pm

Yes, Zap! Take one for the team!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:49 pm

I'm still sore from the last time you said that to me.

thedarkorb
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby thedarkorb » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:13 pm

I'm a fan of the dub, so a few of you might find my opinions to be of value. (You know who you are!)

I called Alamo Drafthouse today, to see when I could reserve tickets, and the lady I talked to had NO idea what I was talking about.

I'm also curious if Spike, Allison, or the director are showing up. Hmm..

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:19 pm

well with one person for sub and one for dub, we should have a combined "objective" review for it

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:23 pm

Hey Zap, just rip the original soundtrack and bring a good pair of soundproof headphones.
It'll be a unique theater experience... :tongue:
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:38 am

You guys who can actually see Evangelion in a theater should consider yourselves friggin' lucky. The closest I might ever be able to hope to get will be possibly screening the Rebuild Blu-Ray at my school. Zap, even if you hate dubs, seeing this in a theater is a once in a life time opportunity that you should not pass up. And as Axell suggested, you and Darkorb can offer us a balanced opinion since one of you likes dubs and the other doesn't.

Also, it'd be nice if we can get a confirmation as to whether or not this is actually 1.0, or if by some miracle it's actually 1.11 and Funimation simply mislabeled it. :tongue:
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”