The "Sequel Theory" Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Fri May 22, 2009 3:42 am

Time for some more TOPIC

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri May 22, 2009 9:09 am

The way I see it, the whole wretched theory is based upon two things-

1. Kaworu's last line. Apart from the fact that adding the word 'again' is a translation error, saying "I want to meet you, Shinji Ikari...again" does not imply sequel theory. For all you know, Shinji may have been with Kaworu when he was a child, before Kaworu got packed off in a coffin and shipped to the moon. A simple explanation suffices in the place of a grand convoluted sequel theory.

I want to hear someone tell me why Kaworu can't have met Shinji a couple of years earlier instead of before the supposed clock reset.

2. Red water. Something that's been pointed out before- the water is not uniformly red anywhere. Also, the 2.0 trailers show that some sections of ocean are still blood-free. That wouldn't be possible after the enormous bloodbath that was 3I. Hence, whatever bloodied the oceans wasn't Third Impact, and it's not a sequel.

Also, Eva-04's explosion from the first 2.0 trailer shows a massive bloodbath, with red spreading everywhere. Adam would conceivably have gone off in a vastly bigger boom, with much, much more blood to spill at Second Impact.

[/rests case against Sequel Theory]
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Fri May 22, 2009 9:14 am

Also that outline of something big that looks vaguely similar to a harpy at the beginning of the movie.

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Captain_Morgan » Fri May 22, 2009 9:21 am

I doubt it will change your mind, but what about the outline of what appears to be a crucified figure?

Looks similar to what happened with the Eva Series in EoE.

Certainly not enough to make everyone go "ZOMG PROOF OF TEH SEQUELNESS!" but I think it is more than just random imagery meant to fuck with us...but then again it is Anno

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri May 22, 2009 9:34 am

I'm pretty sure that it is just random mind play imagery, the nature of which will never be explained in the films themselves.

Also, weren't the Harpies skewed by their own replica Lances? What happened? CSI Tokyo took them down and made a chalk outline? They sure work big.

Maybe it is of completely different origins: some Nazca Indians just happened to wander around there, and decided to have a little fun.

pablumatic
Embryo

Postby pablumatic » Fri May 22, 2009 12:09 pm

Eva-01 blew up the replica lances with the original lance. Then the harpies became "petrified" and fell back to earth. Some apparently fell to earth feet first and became stuck upright in the ground. The lances weren't holding them up.

There's nothing precluding the possibility that a harpy fell over or was dragged onto the ground and hauled away in a sequel scenario. The outline was just put there to keep fan speculation going and it worked.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Fri May 22, 2009 12:23 pm

There is however the problem of why would they build building around a "prehistoric fossil" outline cant be of a harpy. And i'm a sequel believer

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

Postby BattleMonkey » Fri May 22, 2009 12:28 pm

Well why would you build Tokyo 3 at all when it really has no point. Nerv would have been better off with a base of operations out in the middle of nowhere as having the city around did nothing for them but cause trouble. Yay more bills to pay, people to compensate and take care of, etc.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Fri May 22, 2009 12:54 pm

Tokyo 3 was built as a fortress city to defend lilith from angel attacks. It was made into a city probably so that its employees wouldnt have to travel, and still be "safe"

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Captain_Morgan » Fri May 22, 2009 1:01 pm

Axell wrote:There is however the problem of why would they build building around a "prehistoric fossil" outline cant be of a harpy. And i'm a sequel believer

This is a stretch, sure, but perhaps it was unearthed by some explosion? Second Impact, perhaps?

Probably been said before, but if this is in fact a sequel, would that make 3I this iteration's 1I?

And also, Anno has to be the biggest troll alive. You all know he that he threw in the scene with Kaworu in at the end just so this idea about it being a continuation would pop into people's heads.

I can just imagine it now...Anno sitting in his office doing the Gendo, and some lower level guy coming in and informing him about how every Eva fan is arguing about whether or not this is a sequel. Cue Gendo smile.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri May 22, 2009 1:25 pm

pablumatic wrote:Eva-01 blew up the replica lances with the original lance.

You are right. It appears i have huge holes in my knowledge of NGE.

Though i'm of the anti-Sequel crowd, i have come to the conclusion that arguing against it on the grounds of what we have seen of Rebuild so far is pointless. There is a scene and some images in Rebuild 1.0 that support the possibility of Rebuild being a continuation of the original series, and nothing that directly omits this option. We can't find anything in 1.0 that makes it 100% clear that this is not a sequel.

I hold the belief that hinting at these movies being a sequel to the original is just trolling on Anno's part, and that it would be kinda lame if it really turned out to be so. However, beyond these subjective notions, there is nothing i could point out that would prove once and for all that my speculation is right and the Sequel Theory is wrong.

Neither side can conclusively prove that they are right. It's a stalemate. If Anno's intentions were simply to rile viewers who are familiar with the original into speculating, than he hit a bullseye.

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby DummyPlug » Fri May 22, 2009 1:45 pm

I don't understand why some of us try to justify some mysteries by saying that they are probably just vague imagery / plot devices / inconsistencies, similar to the ones that were present in NGE.

If this is Rebuild, isn't it reasonable to expect them to clean up the mess and come up with something that is consistent and also understandable by just watching the films and nothing more? They already failed at that because they didn't really know what they were doing, but now it's different.

Then again, I guess leaving some unsolved mysteries is always a good way to sell answers later.
Good prog/modern metal at:
http://acrypticcreature.blogspot.com

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

Postby BattleMonkey » Fri May 22, 2009 2:04 pm

Think people are trying to hard to find that the show be an actual direct sequel when if anything Rebuild could end up being a spiritual sequel in that it still stands by itself, but for those fans of the original, there is a connecting factor that ties them together.

I doubt they would go so far as to directly make a point in the films in which they go "this is a continuation" and instead if anything make it a companion piece that the original fans would get, while it not being noticed by those watching just Rebuild.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri May 22, 2009 2:33 pm

@DummyPlug:
I don't want to speak in anyone else's name, but i for one have come to expect some level of vagueness from Evangelion. I know that Rebuild is supposed to be different, but it is a Rebuild of Evangelion. I think if there will be no mind games involved with the presentation and everything will be spelled out in detail, than a large part of Evangelion's charm will be lost.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri May 22, 2009 3:12 pm

Captain_Morgan wrote:I doubt it will change your mind, but what about the outline of what appears to be a crucified figure?

Anno = BIGGEST TROLL EVAR
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri May 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Anno = BIGGEST TROLL EVAR

QFT.

The chalk figure on the ground could have been where Eva-01 faceplanted. Either that, or Eva-01 fell flat while they were recovering it. If that had been a harpy, there'd have been some indication of it being planted feet-down first.

When do police investigators outline things in chalk? Right after a crime is committed, to show the positions of bodies, weapons and other objects. Not for posterity or anything like that!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Captain_Morgan » Fri May 22, 2009 9:57 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:
The chalk figure on the ground could have been where Eva-01 faceplanted. Either that, or Eva-01 fell flat while they were recovering it.

The shot is only a few seconds into the movie. Shinji hadn't seen Eva 01, let alone faceplant at that point.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri May 22, 2009 10:07 pm

*Looks again*

Yeah, this was right when Sachiel popped up. So much for that explanation...but my point about chalk outlines still stands. It has to be something more recent than 2I, and certainly not thousands of years old!

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Captain_Morgan » Fri May 22, 2009 10:20 pm

Considering the size, I highly doubt that it is a chalk outline (one of the arms looks to be the length of one of the ruined buildings surrounding it).

Perhaps a mound formation similar to what Native Americans did. But then what are Native Americans doing in Japan? Fossil outline of one of the Eva series? Maybe, but then again, it looks more like a chalk outline...wait a minute...

Overall, too ambiguous to be confirmed as anything that would prove or disprove the theory, though I interpret it as something that supports the theory.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 23, 2009 1:16 am

Captain_Morgan wrote:Perhaps a mound formation similar to what Native Americans did.
More like this. But still the same ethnological problem.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”