Mari...agent of Seele?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
darthikari
Adam

Mari...agent of Seele?

•      
  •      

Postby darthikari » Tue May 19, 2009 9:50 am

I appologize for starting a new topic, but the original Mari one has been locked...

I've been thinking about the dissparate elements in the 2.0 trailers and trying to piece together the plot from what we've seen.

I personally think that 2 will start off on the moon, with the "jailbreak" of the "tunnel angel" and the dispach of Mari in unit 5 to stop it. Given unit 5's odd design, and relative impractability for use on earth,(plus the overwhelming need for more merchandise), it will get thouroghly trashed in the battle and the angel will escape. This will lead to the terran introduction of Asuka and her arial intercept scene. The comparisons of the tunnel angel to Gaglihel makes a lot of sense, as it would serve as a ramped-up version of the sea battle, this time happening mid-air.

Given the more recent art we've seen of Mari,( wide stance, cocky grin, confident stare) her personality doesn't seem to be as insecure as the other pilots. I see her going to her superiors, the people running the moonbase, SEELE, to request to go to earth to continue the fight and prove herself in battle.

She arrives toward the latter half of the film, and gets her replacement Eva, unit 06 ath the close of the film.

This theory works even better if we are going with the "rebuild is a sequel" idea as Seele would want to change the outcome of third impact this time around, and could see the introduction of Mari as a way to skew Shinji's feelings toward a pro-instrumentality viewpoint.
"I've had recurring nightmares, that I was loved for who I am, and missed the opportunity to be a better man..."

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue May 19, 2009 12:29 pm

We'll see.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 19, 2009 12:53 pm

While the idea of something like Kaworu and Mari both being Seele agents could work (and going along with that "twin" theory rumor), I'm not sure how Mari piloting BOTH Eva-05 AND Eva-06 would work out given the Next Time Preview says this (bold by me):

Next Time Preview wrote:The launch of the provisional Eva-05. The adaption of Eva-02 and its pilot. The disappearance of Eva-04. The forced activation testing of Eva-03. And then, Eva-06 and its pilot come down from the moon. How long will Ikari Shinji's steadily deteriorating tale continue? Next time: Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0: Division. And of course they'll be fan service!

The fact we see Kaworu on the moon at the end of 1.0 and the trailers for 2.0 still SHOW him on the moon, also keeping in mind the fact Kaworu is standing next to Moon Giant on the UCC coffee can, I think it should be obvious who's pilot Eva-06 will be.

But, I guess we'll see. Maybe Anno would be throwing a red herring, although in my opinion Mari piloting both Eva-05 and 06 instead of Kaworu would be a silly one.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Wed May 20, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Tue May 19, 2009 1:04 pm

She probably is an agent..Rather I believe it or not and yet again this seems like Girlfriend of Steel with Mana being a spy..
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Tue May 19, 2009 2:14 pm

NAveryW wrote:We'll see.

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DummyPlug » Tue May 19, 2009 3:47 pm

If we assume that the purple background in their piloting scenes = same scene, then they are all at some point fighting together which would go against this. I don't think the tunnel is on the moon, it actually reminds me of a part of the nerv headquarters but I'm not sure.

EDIT: I found the part that I was talking about, it may just be the angle of the shot :

One thing's for sure, she has a scary cool grin.
Last edited by DummyPlug on Tue May 19, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good prog/modern metal at:
http://acrypticcreature.blogspot.com

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Tue May 19, 2009 5:00 pm

The way they seem to be keeping her separate from the main pilots makes it seem like shes an enemy or something against them in some way. Different school uniform? Promotional items with her paired with Kaworu? The completely different design of her plug suit as well as her Eva? Seems very much like an outsider.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 19, 2009 5:23 pm

DummyPlug: The thing is, Lilith is just being kept in a part of Central Dogma in Rebuild (Level EEE), it's not Terminal Dogma anymore.

BattleMonkey: She does seem to be an outsider, I agree with you there. But it's always possible her school uniform at least is one she had before transferring to Tokyo-3 or some such thing. (I think she is actually going to a different school, but just saying.)

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Wed May 20, 2009 1:27 am

I like this theory up to the part where she ends up piloting 06, since it has been strongly implied that it is Kaworu who will be the pilot of said EVA.

If anything were to happen to 05 while it was on the moon, it would likely be repaired in time for her appearance on Earth. Hell, they manage to rebuild the others when they've been severely fucked up, relatively quickly. Hell, doesn't the entire series take place from Summer to New Years?

The thing that I would love about this scenario is how the two most (seemingly) confident and (perhaps) "stable" pilots would be working against the heroes. Shinji of course will fall for her, and his world will be shattered when he has to fight her, even if she is trying to kill him.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Captain_Morgan wrote:Shinji of course will fall for her,

Anno has secretly told you where he plans to go with this movie? You're holding out on us. :tonguegrin:

But seriously, we can speculate about Rebuild as much as we want in these threads, the point still stands that we just don't KNOW what Anno is planning with all this.

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Wed May 20, 2009 1:27 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Anno has secretly told you where he plans to go with this movie? You're holding out on us. :tonguegrin:

Well, I'm just basing my hypothesis off how Shinji gets the hots for anyone who has two legs and pilots an Eva. That and the fact that I am Anno.

Spoiler:
Everybody fucking dies. Again.
And this is not a sequel. It's a prequel.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 20, 2009 1:29 pm

Captain_Morgan wrote:Spoiler:

OSHI-

Also: Shinji didn't necessarily seem to have the hots for Kaworu, Rei or even Toji, but that's another thing. ;)
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Wed May 20, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed May 20, 2009 1:31 pm

Captain_Morgan wrote:I am Anno.

I finally found you!

:bat:

We're gonna have a little chat

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Wed May 20, 2009 1:40 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Captain_Morgan wrote:Spoiler:

OSHI-

Also: Shinji didn't necessarily seem to have the hots for Kaworu, Rei or even Toji, but that's another thing. ;)

Hots, probably not the best choice of words. Love would have been better.

Kaworu: Both loved each other, though this can be interpreted in a yaoi way...
Rei: The first woman a man loves is his mother, and we can't forget when Shinji "accidentally" gropes her...
Toji: He only has one leg.

MY THEORY STANDS!

And what would you like to discuss Axell?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Captain_Morgan: Sorry, I was under the impression with "the hots" you meant something sexual/romantic, but obviously that doesn't have to be the case (personally I don't think Rei and Kaworu loved Shinji romantically).

And uh, though it is my fault, I just realized we veered off topic. :sweatdrop: Let's get back to Mari and how she may or may not be a spy.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed May 20, 2009 4:37 pm

If she is a spy, maybe she could have some connection with Kaji

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DummyPlug » Wed May 20, 2009 6:30 pm

Or she could be loyal to Nerv but under the jurisdiction of a different branch of Nerv. That would also explain all those differences.
Good prog/modern metal at:
http://acrypticcreature.blogspot.com

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Wed May 20, 2009 6:50 pm

Axell wrote:If she is a spy, maybe she could have some connection with Kaji

Now what kind of connection would we be talking about? :tongue:

*sigh*...I love speculation threads... ^_^

TheLobe
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheLobe » Thu May 21, 2009 6:25 am

I still think Kaworu's conspiring to have her replace him, so he can live this time. so that would be I should think so. or Kaworu frames her. Do you think he'll kill kittens too?

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Thu May 21, 2009 12:23 pm

Alright, I'm going to toss in my two cents here..

Kaworu remembers what happen during the last third impact, maybe this is a continuation I do not know. Maybe only he knows of this and Seele as well or maybe NERV is in on it as well.

I believe Mari may be a spy but not for Seele, kinda how Girlfriend of Steel worked. I could be completely wrong and she could be a spy..Only time will tell.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”