EVA-EXTRA Free Paper Magazine

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Mr. Tines: I feel like I should know what you're quoting. >< Care to refresh my memory?

Reichu: Thanks for bringing up the point that a Rei and Shinji rebuild tea scene wouldn't be the same as the manga. I am somewhat curious if Anno is setting up a variation for them to hold hands a few times. Although, even the ending of 1.0 with them holding hands in the entry plug was different compared to what happens in the manga. (Sorry about the image quality of these, all I could find, they might as well be up here for reference.)

Anyway, this movie is gonna be AWESOME.

~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon May 18, 2009 4:13 pm

Even though i'm against that pairing, that scene is just beautiful. I would love a variation of it to be in 2.0

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DummyPlug » Mon May 18, 2009 4:20 pm

I never ship and even I had a shipgasm.
Good prog/modern metal at:
http://acrypticcreature.blogspot.com

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Mon May 18, 2009 4:22 pm

Holding hands does not automatically equate to a "pairing" especially considering Rei's background. It was also odd the whole scenario in the manga when so many times before that part they made a point of having Shinji make comments about being uncomfortable around Rei, and his "it's not like that" when talking about her.

The motherly aspect of "love" is always going to be involved with Rei's character. I wouldn't automatically expect them to try and develop an actual romance till we see how they portray the ending.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 18, 2009 4:26 pm

I think there will be SOME variation throughout the films (since we have the hand-holding scene in 1.0 and during EoE in the LCL Sea Rei & Shinji hold hands), or at least something that ties in better to a "What are your hands for" type scene.

BattleMonkey wrote:The motherly aspect of "love" is always going to be involved with Rei's character.

Yes.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Mr. Tines: I feel like I should know what you're quoting. >< Care to refresh my memory?

[REDACTED] was "Croft".

DummyPlug wrote:I never ship and even I had a shipgasm.
Yes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon May 18, 2009 5:30 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:Crackpot theory: Instrumentality is going to happen REALLY early.
Very old crackpot theory.

Also, is the "About" section anything new?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 18, 2009 6:03 pm

NAveryW wrote:Also, is the "About" section anything new?

It's probably just the same vague filler as always. Photo hurts my eyes trying to read. I'll let you know if I see anything interesting via the blogs.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:47 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:scans of one of my favorite scenes in the manga

=D
Gamer_2k4

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue May 19, 2009 9:53 pm

Note the first frame-

Poor Misato just can't seem to get a handle of the Gendo pose. Silly lady.

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby PuppetChaos » Wed May 20, 2009 10:36 am

The "Girl of the month: Rei Ayanami" makes me think of a centerfold in a girlie magazine.

The font they use is pretty bitchin' though (triangle A's!). Wonder if I can get it somewhere... eh, nah, probably a completely custom creation.

@Mr Tines - Noooooooooo... don't remind me of that fic.

@Manga Pages - D'awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.......
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Wed May 20, 2009 10:56 am

Although offiically I'm an A/S shipper, I still love that scene from the manga. It gets me feeling all WAFFy inside. :crush:

If there was more content like that in the show, perhaps my ship of choice would be less clearly defined.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed May 20, 2009 12:36 pm

The Manga is beautiful at times ;_; This makes me alright with Rei and Shinji being together cause it seems like they would really be happy.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed May 20, 2009 12:37 pm

About Eva-Extra 2:
I just love that image composition of Unit-02.

On holding hands in Rebuild:
If i remember correctly, in 1.0 when Misato shows Lilith to Shinji down in the basement, they also have a moment of holding hands (at first it was more Misato dragging around Shinji, but then he eased up).

And in the original series, touching hands was pointedly "Kaworu Only" territory. I wonder whether this theme will continue, and how will it affect Shinji's character development (and especially the way he will react to Kaworu this time around).

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 20, 2009 12:58 pm

Gamer_2k4 wrote about me wrote:scans of one of my favorite scenes in the manga

I don't remember typing that in my po---oh wait. I see what you did there.

PuppetChaos wrote:The "Girl of the month: Rei Ayanami" makes me think of a centerfold in a girlie magazine.

Although I this is just an educated guess on my part, I think Eva Extra is featuring each of the female pilots (Asuka in the first issue, Rei in this one, apparently Mari in the final one) as the "Girl of the month". But yes, it is a lulzy way of putting it. :lol:

@Mr Tines - Noooooooooo... don't remind me of that fic.

I'm so glad I don't know what fic you're referring to.

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:This makes me alright with Rei and Shinji being together cause it seems like they would really be happy.

Yes, Rei's double incest of Lilith and Yui be damned! After all, it's not like Shinji can't find somebody else or Rei doesn't have a desire to die. Oh wait. >_>

SaltyJoe wrote:On holding hands in Rebuild:
If i remember correctly, in 1.0 when Misato shows Lilith to Shinji down in the basement, they also have a moment of holding hands (at first it was more Misato dragging around Shinji, but then he eased up).

And in the original series, touching hands was pointedly "Kaworu Only" territory. I wonder whether this theme will continue, and how will it affect Shinji's character development (and especially the way he will react to Kaworu this time around).

Yes, Misato and Shinji did have a hand-holding scene during Lilith. I think that Rebuild is going to have a "What are your hands for?" scene (but maybe with Shinji and each of the people important to him at least once? eg: Misato, Rei, Asuka, Mari, Kaworu...) like EoE OR even a Rei/Shinji hand-holding scene of sorts, but it's hard to tell at this point.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed May 20, 2009 1:37 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I'm so glad I don't know what fic you're referring to.

Since Mr. Tines replied with a simple "Croft" to the original question regarding the quotes identity, it must be NXE.

I think that Rebuild is going to have a "What are your hands for?" scene (but maybe with Shinji and each of the people important to him at least once? eg: Misato, Rei, Asuka, Mari, Kaworu...) like EoE OR even a Rei/Shinji hand-holding scene of sorts, but it's hard to tell at this point.

I was thinking more along the lines that all this rampant hand holding might be a signal that Shinji will have more emotional support this time around, and there will be a greater sense of integrity within the main cast in general. I wasn't speculating on any particular scene to come.

I wonder whether there will be Instrumentality at all in Rebuild. Is it plausible? An ending without Human Complementation?

And on Kaworu... the vibes i got from that final scene in 1.0 lead me to believe that Kaworu will be "the" threat this time around. Not in a cartoon villain way, of course, but still "the Final Enemy" (created by humans playing God:Seele. Oh, the irony!). That doesn't omit him from a "What are your hands for?" type of scene, but i doubt there will be all that "Kaworu=WUW!" out of the blue business like in the original series.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 20, 2009 1:52 pm

SaltyJoe wrote:I was thinking more along the lines that all this rampant hand holding might be a signal that Shinji will have more emotional support this time around, and there will be a greater sense of integrity within the main cast in general.

1.0 was giving me the sense of the same thing, I actually hope this would be the case. I think Shinji having more emotional support or at least strengthed bonds with the cast, maybe Rebuild defnining more of how Shinji specifically feels for each of the important people in his life (for example: does he see BOTH Misato and Rei as mother figures? Is he just infatuated with Asuka or did he actually fall in love with her?) would be really nice, considering the original series and film didn't go into that enough.

But whether or not that means we'd get a happy Shinji with the ending this time around (yet different from EoTV and EoE), who knows.

I wasn't speculating on any particular scene to come.

I see.

I wonder whether there will be Instrumentality at all in Rebuild. Is it plausible? An ending without Human Complementation?

Well, if it means anything, Proposal was going to have Seele (I think they were still called Seele ^^; ) give up Instrumentality(!!) in favor of finding that promised land instead...

I think Instrumentality not happening but there still be some bloodshed (eg Nerv is still attacked in the end) would be possible, but at the same time I feel Instrumentality and Third Impact WAS what the original series at least was building up to (the fact Gendo was planning it all along aside). I think it just wouldn't be Eva without some hivemindfuckery near the very end.

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DummyPlug » Wed May 20, 2009 3:10 pm

I'm failing to see the motherly aspect of the tea scene in the manga. They could tweak it a little bit to give it a motherly flavour for Rebuild, though. I personally feel that Misato was more of an older sister to Shinji than a mother, and also, Shinji did say that Rei could be a good housewife. These things don't seem to be particularly consistent throughout the story to me at least.

Any ideas to connect the Shinji/Rei tea scene with Gendo/Rei tea scene, for the fun of it?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 20, 2009 4:55 pm

DummyPlug wrote:I'm failing to see the motherly aspect of the tea scene in the manga.

I was referring to the anime since the manga is it's own thing. The tea scene is just simply Shinji and Rei getting some character development as the manga tends to do.

I personally feel that Misato was more of an older sister to Shinji than a mother,

In EoE, when Pre-Instrumentality begins, Shinji's mental image of Misato during the sandbox scene seems to be that of a mother: http://evacommentary.org/images_production/groundwork_m26_C182.gif Also, episode 20 implies Shinji seeing Misato as a other and in EoE Misato herself says she "couldn't be Shinji's mother after all".

Any ideas to connect the Shinji/Rei tea scene with Gendo/Rei tea scene, for the fun of it?

...There was a Gendo and Rei tea scene? Something from the manga, I'm guessing? I...don't remember that.

Anyway, this thread seems to be getting off-topic. You guys should know what to do. ;)

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DummyPlug » Wed May 20, 2009 5:28 pm

...There was a Gendo and Rei tea scene? Something from the manga, I'm guessing? I...don't remember that.

I meant to connect the Shinji/Rei scene from the magazine with the scene from the trailer where Gendo seems to be holding a cup of tea/coffee. See I was trying to get back on topic myself but I failed horribly. :unsure:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”