The "Sequel Theory" Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

Postby BattleMonkey » Sun May 17, 2009 11:03 am

It would be an awesome twist if it ends up being some form of sequel or related to the original eva in some way, but it kinda sounds like something out of re-take in that case.

With the approach to the new movies and interviews so far I doubt they will go sequel/tie in route and are just simply redoing the series for new generation.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun May 17, 2009 11:10 am

DummyPlug: Kaworu knowing ABOUT Shinji doesn't mean he knows Shinji PERSONALLY.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sun May 17, 2009 11:35 am

BattleMonkey wrote:It would be an awesome twist if it ends up being some form of sequel or related to the original eva in some way
An awesome twist that everyone who paid the least bit of attention to 1.0 already anticipated.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

Postby BattleMonkey » Sun May 17, 2009 11:37 am

Except no one really can say for sure whats going to happen or how, while some are obviously thinking the idea is just crazy talk.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sun May 17, 2009 11:38 am

I just don't think a twist can be considered "awesome" if the probability of it happening has already been discussed to death.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

Postby BattleMonkey » Sun May 17, 2009 12:03 pm

Awesome in the sense that I think it would be great if they tried it. Don't mean for it to be something earth shattering or basically hinge the whole Rebuild project on it.

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Soul Fire » Sun May 17, 2009 12:27 pm

I think you are all grasping at straws. The films are called rebuild because they are rebuilt up from the bare bones of the origional series and turned into a different reimaging of the story. To suggest that anno would do something as lame and unorigional as to make this into a sequel using the methods some of you have mentioned here is absurd in my opinion. Ill eat my evangelion dvd collection if this turns out to be a sequel.

It common sense. The translation for kaworu's last lines as of the end of Rebuild 1 have been blown massivley out of preportion and that pretty much seems to be THE only piece of slightly rigid evidence that supports this preposterous therory.

Im sure the anno doesnt want to completly erase the messages he presented to us in the origional series + EoE just for the sake of giving the fans a sequel. He doesnt seem like the sort of person who would piss all over his previous work by going down the route of a sequel is all.
sorry had to get that off my chest.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

Postby BattleMonkey » Sun May 17, 2009 4:33 pm

That makes the assumption that Anno would somehow erase the original intent of the first series, we would not have any idea till something like that actually happened.

I also don't believe that continuing a story, adding on to it, etc is somehow cheapening of a show/movie/series.

And really, I don't see how going back and completely redoing your original work is any different from making a sequel.

It's all about final result and what comes from it, too many always jump to judgment on these types of things. "oh noes a remake!", "a sequel? OMG why ruin the perfect original!".

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Sun May 17, 2009 4:37 pm

Soul Fire wrote:preportion

A great way to keep your caloric intake in check.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Number 44
Adam

Postby Number 44 » Sun May 17, 2009 9:39 pm

Ill eat my evangelion dvd collection if this turns out to be a sequel.

Hey if that does happen, post a vid of it on youtube. :toothy:
No matter how many times you watch your copy of End of Evangelion, the ending is not going to change.

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Tue May 19, 2009 4:50 am

BattleMonkey wrote:It would be an awesome twist if it ends up being some form of sequel or related to the original eva in some way...

If they had to connect it to the original run, I'd much prefer them ripping off the Bad ending of the original Silent Hill. Not because it's a better ending, but the sequel idea strikes me as a touch contrived. I'll leave it there, considering how much discussion's already been done on the subject.

Just call it a clean up or alternate telling and let the fans cry it out online as we do. Fan outrage'll happen either way, however, so I just can't wait to see how this all unfolds. Should be fun.

The ultimate would be packaging the final DVD or a box set with Cliff notes. I'd get a good laugh out of that.

Cheers.
My memory and thought patterns are quite dodgy, and can best be described as "the lights are on but nobody is home."

That should explain a few things, if not many.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue May 19, 2009 6:09 am

Number 44 wrote:I much preferred the idea of rebuild as the "Eva for dummies". A streamlined, simplified version that more people could enjoy, with added CGI, and a real budget this time around.

Death and Rebirth would be "Eva for Dummies".
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby master_lloyd » Tue May 19, 2009 9:17 am

Joseph the PRPD wrote:Death and Rebirth would be "Eva for Dummies".

More eva in a nutshell I'd say. If anything I'd say it was harder to understand. With all the "9 months later" "3 weeks before" "And then she found a man who'd do her" "Then he decapitated an albino kid" interlaced with a music hall scene that never happened.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Rodeo » Tue May 19, 2009 10:46 am

An "Awesome" twist should do more than just mess with our heads. There's just no point.

Number 44
Adam

Postby Number 44 » Tue May 19, 2009 8:50 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:
Number 44 wrote:I much preferred the idea of rebuild as the "Eva for dummies". A streamlined, simplified version that more people could enjoy, with added CGI, and a real budget this time around.

Death and Rebirth would be "Eva for Dummies".

No, Death and Rebirth is more like CliffsNotes™ for Evangelion.
No matter how many times you watch your copy of End of Evangelion, the ending is not going to change.

TheLobe
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby TheLobe » Thu May 21, 2009 6:29 am

maybe it's like an alternate dimension where Kaworu travels back in time in order to break the fourth wall and therefore make babies with our brains. But probably not.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu May 21, 2009 2:29 pm

So Sequel Theory is "How is babby formed? How 4th Wall get broked'd?"

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

Postby BattleMonkey » Thu May 21, 2009 9:23 pm

Time machines.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

BattleMonkey wrote:Time machines.

JIGGAWATTS!!![/backtothefuture]
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri May 22, 2009 2:58 am

Kaworu is a Time Lord, and Eva-06 is his TARDIS! It all makes sense then.

Which means the other EVAs are Cylons, and Shinji is Rose. Instrumentality is the Time Vortex.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”