The "Sequel Theory" Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jedi_Master
Embryo

Postby Jedi_Master » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:34 pm

Doesn't anyone have a telescope in the world of Rebuild?

Kaworu is hanging out on the surface of the moon, and there are 9 casket-like objects arranged nearby. There's an angel snoozing in the background, and the red splotch covers the landscape.

No one from Earth sees any of this? There were several shots of the full moon in Rebuild. The red splotch should have been visible to the naked eye.

The scene with Kaworu shows the area is well lit, with shadows being cast by objects so I don't think one can say all this is taking place on the dark side of the moon.

Kaworu's closing line: "I'm looking forward to meeting you, Shinji Ikari." The words "meeting you" to me implies an initial contact. If Rebuild is a sequel to EoE and the characters are all repeating previous events (like a temporal loop) shouldn't Kaworu say something like "I'm looking forward to seeing you again, Shinji Ikari"? He also says "you never change" which implies that if this is a repeat of events, he is aware that it is so.

If this is a reimaging of the original events, maybe they should have called it: Evangelion: Do-over 1.0

Perhaps humanity must repeat the events in order to break some cycle of its existence, setting things right that once went wrong, and hoping the next leap will be the leap home? Sorry, loved Quantum Leap and couldn't resist.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:58 am

The red splotch could be a result of 2nd Impact

The Earth overhead in the Kaworu shot indicates that we are on the near-side. It also indicates that, at least this time around, Kaworu has no visible core.

A 100m wide feature on the moon subtends about 1/20 of an arc-second at the Earth. It needs about a 3m aperture (and there aren't that many of them around) to resolve that angle, and even then, it would need to be a significant contrast to be noticeable. From what we see being there on the moon, the earthbound observation would be of some roughness of texture at the end of the splotch.

I think it's safe to say that immediate post2I distractions would have curtailed lunar-orbiter launches.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:03 am

For whatever it's worth, Kaworu and friends are located at Mare Tranquilitatis.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:18 am

For whatever reason, the image of Mare Orientale from the original series comes to mind.

http://www.evacommentary.org/episode-02/episode-02_flash1.html

...pure wierdness.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

pablumatic
Embryo

Postby pablumatic » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:19 am

I'm mostly adamant about Rebuild being just a retelling of the original story. Primarly because I don't believe Keel Lorenz or anybody at SEELE would ever knowingly or voluntarily become corporeal or work with the Ikari clan again.

But then all the EoE similarities keeps me from being 100% sure. If Rebuild is showing us the aftermath of Second Impact it looks as if a Seed of Life successfully pulled off an Instrumentality scenario as seen in EoE. If that was the case I can't imagine humanity still existing. Unless of course this is a sequel that entails some really strange twist of logic to include all the characters as they (mostly) originally were.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:07 pm

I'm calling this now: Rebuild is a new, unrelated continuity, except for Kaworu, who's travelled to this new universe from the original universe. Based on what I've read on GameFAQs, he is a dimension-warping entity in Super Robot Wars (he supposedly warped from MX's continuity to the Alphaverse), so why not? :guffaw:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:38 pm

YES!

I approve! :smirk:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:45 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Rebuild is a new, unrelated continuity
or "Fanfic" as it is known in the trade.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri May 01, 2009 1:47 pm

Kaworu, then, is a slider. Which means eventually he'll join the SOS Brigade...uh oh.

Ramiel²
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Ramiel² » Fri May 01, 2009 3:15 pm

Now you mentioned it, this guy ,the ESP`er have some interesting characteristics he shares with kaworu :chinscratch:

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Fri May 01, 2009 5:23 pm

pablumatic wrote:
But then all the EoE similarities keeps me from being 100% sure. If Rebuild is showing us the aftermath of Second Impact it looks as if a Seed of Life successfully pulled off an Instrumentality scenario as seen in EoE. If that was the case I can't imagine humanity still existing. Unless of course this is a sequel that entails some really strange twist of logic to include all the characters as they (mostly) originally were.

2I was basically a remote version of a full on Impact/Instrumentality. Note the similarities between 2I and 3I in the original (i.e. large oceanic bodies of LCL, red souls flying around, and large "angel" wings).

Also one thing that nagged me about the original is the case of the red water being exclusive to the south pole, which I feel has been remedied in Rebuild via it spreading across the world. Also I have very wild guess that the moon coffins are where Angel embryos are kept. Just a thought.

I'm pretty adamant as well that it is a retelling with some of the questionable of details of the original ironed out to the point that it could be intentionally misconstrued as a sequel.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat May 02, 2009 12:03 am

Ramiel² wrote:Now you mentioned it, this guy ,the ESP`er have some interesting characteristics he shares with kaworu :chinscratch:

They're based on the same character archetype of the ambiguously gay extrapolating mysterious bishonen with a plastic smile, partly in homage on Tanigawa Nagaru's part.

Number 44
Adam

Postby Number 44 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:30 pm

Ever since first viewing NGE, I've sung the praises of Anno as a modern story telling genius. When I heard the premise of Rebuild, I was happy that he would now get the budget to fully realize his master piece.

As sequel theory gains support, or at least the idea that they may take Rebuild in a drastic "new" direction, far removed from the original, the more disappointed I become.

I much preferred the idea of rebuild as the "Eva for dummies". A streamlined, simplified version that more people could enjoy, with added CGI, and a real budget this time around.

If it does indeed turn out to be a sequel, it just might prove that Anno isn't the genius he's been made out to be, and the original's success was in spite of the madman at the helm, not because of it.

If that is the case, I'll be hearing "I told you so" from many, many friends.
No matter how many times you watch your copy of End of Evangelion, the ending is not going to change.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sun May 17, 2009 12:24 am

Number 44 wrote:Ever since first viewing NGE, I've sung the praises of Anno as a modern story telling genius. When I heard the premise of Rebuild, I was happy that he would now get the budget to fully realize his master piece.

As sequel theory gains support, or at least the idea that they may take Rebuild in a drastic "new" direction, far removed from the original, the more disappointed I become.

I much preferred the idea of rebuild as the "Eva for dummies". A streamlined, simplified version that more people could enjoy, with added CGI, and a real budget this time around.

If it does indeed turn out to be a sequel, it just might prove that Anno isn't the genius he's been made out to be, and the original's success was in spite of the madman at the helm, not because of it.

If that is the case, I'll be hearing "I told you so" from many, many friends.
It turns out nobody here but you actually thinks this is going to be a sequel. It will, however, definitely go in a completely different direction. That much has been confirmed over and over. If you don't like the idea of anything too different happening, stay far, far away from Rebuild.

In the mean time, if you want to see other evidence for/against Anno's genius, watch some of his other works (i.e. Kare Kano, Shiki-Jitsu).
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 17, 2009 2:28 am

Number 44 wrote:in spite of the madman at the helm, not because of it.
As art therapy for his depression, I'd say because. Any issues with Rebuild will be for lack of that mania, and it being replaced with a more calculated eye towards popularity (more girls, more homo-boy, more EVAs -- the stuff of not-so-good fanfics, in other words).

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Sun May 17, 2009 4:13 am

Mr. Tines wrote:more girls, more homo-boy, more EVAs -- the stuff of not-so-good fanfics, in other words.

I hope that in the end, Rebuild will turn out to be good in a different way, rather than just "two times as epic, but with half the artistry" NGE.

As for the sequel theory, i think that in the following films, we will get even more hints pointing towards that this might be a continuation of the original... and then, the idea will never be elaborated upon. Such a delicious way to play with the fans.

Evayo
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Evayo » Sun May 17, 2009 9:42 am

I can just imagine Rebuild ending with GNR rising from the Earth and pulling out a big "You've been Punk'd!" sign. Shinji will be all like "Aw, you guys got me! ^_^ " Then they'll all laugh and have a picnic.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Sun May 17, 2009 10:43 am

NAveryW wrote:It turns out nobody here but you actually thinks this is going to be a sequel.

Always believe in the possibility of anything that is possible. ;)

I myself don't really care what happens as long as i enjoy the ride. I see evidence for and evidence against a sequel, all just makes for good discussion.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun May 17, 2009 10:43 am

Mr. Tines wrote:Any issues with Rebuild will be for lack of that mania, and it being replaced with a more calculated eye towards popularity (more girls, more homo-boy, more EVAs -- the stuff of not-so-good fanfics, in other words).

Personally I think Anno is taking these elements to break stereotypes further. (Though probably not the first to do so, he showed in the series that piloting can bring pain instead of victory...)
And if Rebuild IS a sequel, I could see Anno not explaining it.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby DummyPlug » Sun May 17, 2009 10:44 am

If this is a sequel I hope that they do it the right way and that they explain and make sense of it and that it's consistent with the main theme, whatever it is this time around. I also pray that they manage to tell a story that can be understood without looking for interviews and reading "classified information" somewhere.

And I hope that the gratuitous fucked uppery goes away. Or that they at least deliver it more effectively than just "I wacked off to my comatose friend even though I gave no signs of being particularly perverted/evil before this".

I am not really a sequel theorist but I was wondering, for those who are almost sure that it is not a sequel, how would you explain the "kaworu knows Shinji" part? I thought that it could be that he met him some time before the events in the movie when they were kids or something.
Good prog/modern metal at:
http://acrypticcreature.blogspot.com

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”