Now You Can Drill to the Heavens....In Theaters!!!!

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:53 pm

I've been hearing similar things from other people.

- Lacks emotional punch
- Voice Actors phoning it in

I intend to find out for myself though. Currently dling a painfully slow high quality torrent.

And don't worry Gendo's Papa, I was following this thread!
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:40 pm

just watched it. They end up summing up all the meeting new character episodes. you can honestly just watch the new ending battle and not watch anything else.

I did enjoy how they made simon a pissed off emo jerk after kamina dies. that was hilarious.

This movie did however scare me into thinking that they might fastforward through some of the episodes in 2.0, but then i remembered, Gainax does that, kara might not :)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Axell wrote: you can honestly just watch the new ending battle and not watch anything else.

And the intro

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:11 pm

Axell wrote:I did enjoy how they made simon a pissed off emo jerk after kamina dies. that was hilarious.

But that was more or less the same as in series.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:22 pm

Is this movie dubed yet in the USA by the chance?
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:31 pm

^ The sarcasm is OVER 9000!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:51 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:Is this movie dubed yet in the USA by the chance?
Yes.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:17 am

Ornette wrote:
Axell wrote: you can honestly just watch the new ending battle and not watch anything else.

And the intro

the intro was a rehash of parallel works 8, old footage

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:06 pm

NAveryW wrote:
Guyver Spawn wrote:Is this movie dubed yet in the USA by the chance?
Yes.

Cool, I just finish the series a while ago and I will be free to check it out.

^ The sarcasm is OVER 9000!

I did not know it was out in the USA since I don't keep up with the news that much.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:18 pm

I really...dude...wow.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:09 pm

:facepalm:
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:19 pm

=B
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby flatulant » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:17 pm

From /a/ discussion about the new Gurren Lagann movie

-Battle against Lord Genome and Viral is newly animated... but pretty damn fast. Like, 3-5 minutes tops. They break through Viral and Spiral King's armies pretty effortlessly.
-Tons of new footage added to the "seven year timeskip gap" added. They show the Gurren-Dan rebuilding Teppelin into Kamina City. Instead of Rossiu's narration about the new dawn of humanity, it is Nia's narration in what looks like a conversation with "Aniki-san". Nia and Yoko's friendship is enhanced too.
-The proposal is a completely new scene. And right before Nia kisses Simon after accepting his proposal, she turns into the Anti-Spiral. Instead of "humans reaching one million units of population" being the trigger to the Human Extermination System, it was humans trying to leave Earth.
-Anti-Spiral Nia is a lot more menacing, it actually looks like she is the one controlling the mugann armies this time. Her transformation sequence is completely new, too.
-A lot of the scenes with Rossiu and Yoko were cut in order to add more scenes of Simon and Viral in jail. Viral saves Simon from being lynched by the inmates and then Messenger Nia arrives and Viral tries to fight her... Messenger Nia evades his attacks effortlessly and just keeps talking to Simon, but at least he tries.
-Together, Lord Genome and Simon are the ones that are able to bring "Nia's sense-of-self" back from the fear of destruction.
-Cathedral Lazengann is only defeated thanks to Genome's hacking skills and Nia being unwilling to destroy Earth.
-When Rossiu tries to kill himself, Kinon alone is able to stop him. There is no punch.
-Kittan's sisters are actually seen mourning over his death.
-The cannon fodder characters all survive: Jorgun, Balinbow, Zorthy...
-Anti-Spiral starts winning because after he tells them that if they kill him Nia will die. Simon loses all of his fighting spirit.
-When Tengen Toppa is on the floor, without energy, Nia jumps out of Lagann and a mech appears surrounding her. She inspires Simon to keep fighting.
-Nia's mech looks like a combination of a white Lazengann and a womanly figure. It also has what looks to be golden hair.
-Everyone's mech becomes a Tengen Toppa, then. And they all gattai into a Universe-sized mech, Super Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann; that looks more like a demon than like an actual mech.
-Anti-Spiral uses reality itself to fight against Super Tengen Toppa, it looks like a sketchy skull that takes all of the screen. I think this was animated by Sushio.
-And then, a newly animated matroskyoa scene... that ends in Simon and Nia fighting hand to hand with the Anti-Spiral. They thrust the Core Drill into Anti-Spiral's chest like in the picture attached to the OP and manage to defeat him.
-Nia talks to Yoko before the wedding, gives her his diary.
-Newly animated wedding.
-Credits.
-After the credits, Simon is shown trying to cover Earth with flowers in honor to Nia.
-End.
Last edited by flatulant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:46 pm

So it looks like the movies are focused on Simon and Nia predominantly. I hope this new animation and sequences will last more than 20 minutes.

As for Film 01: Just saw it and even though I've posted a lot here about the film it ended up being exactly what I figured. A cute little novelty and not much more.
It made me realize how reanimating all their old footage in Rebuild really helps older scenes feel fresh. The first 70 minutes predominantly is just a clip show of the series. So much so that they comprised actual episodes and character reveals into a montage.
Anywho, yeah the final 15 minutes which is all reanimated footage was really cool. It's not the tightest storytelling since everything with the secondary characters (regarding the film at least) came out of nowhere. I think Rossiu had 4 lines. Regardless, last 15 minutes was really cool with a nice "Simon is a badass moment" and then ended too quickly with yet ANOTHER Giga Drill Breaker.

Bugs me they left Genome for the 2nd film. Especially since the previous post hints that Genome isn't a threat past the opening credits.

These two Gurren Lagann films will be a cute little novelty for fans to watch after finishing the epic series.

One thing though, if Gurren Lagann can have a 108 minute running time why can't Eva? One can hope for a longer 2.0.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:54 pm

-The cannon fodder characters all survive: Jorgun, Balinbow, Zorthy...

16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:33 pm

Cool, I just finish the series a while ago and I will be free to check it out.

Guyverspawn.....

(hands him a crown that has the words "King of the Doozy bots" written on it)

They were being sarcastic, this only got released on DVD in Japan recently, fansubs for this only came out a few days ago. Anyway my download just finished, I'll be watching this later tonight probably.

EDIT:

Ok I just finished watching it and have some mixed feelings.

The bad: WHY! Why does this need to be a damn clip show? The introduction of Kittan felt extremely forced because of this, when Kamina asks "Wait who were you again?" I'm sure everyone in the theaters who saw this who didn't already know the series was asking the same question.

The good: All the new parts are extremely BADASS! I especially liked the Yoko vs Adiane fight, that was fucking awesome, parrying bullets with her tail and taking off Yokos bikini, not to mention Yoko finnally putting her Emai piercer hair ornaments to good use. We also finnally got some idea of what Suzakus battle capabilities were since it got annihalatred before he could even try to do anything int he series. That combing four generals uber ship was also pretty nice.

However even the badassness of the new parts wasn't enough to completely make up for this being a clip show. In a way they just served as a cruel reminder of how good this movie could have been, if gainax had actually bothered to make a real gurren lagann movie!

Shame on you Hiroyuki Yamaga.....shame on you......this is all your fault! We could have had something truly awesome, but NO! You jhust had to make this into a clip show! That's it, just for that I'm sending the Tomminator after you! We'll see how you like it when you get tomminated!
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:11 pm

Is there a specific name for the version of Libra me from hell that doesn't have the rap.

It was in the beginning of the movie.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:37 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:Is there a specific name for the version of Libra me from hell that doesn't have the rap.

It's just called "Libera me from hell."
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:59 pm

The ending for GL film with Simon sounds a lot better (IMO) then the ending for the actual series at least. I'm glad about that.

I might watch these films at some point, not really sure yet.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:17 am

only watch if you have nothing better to do, or wanna watch gurren lagann in 2 hours

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”