[LAEM] Can we accept an American Evangelion?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:40 am

I still rather see suit works then CGI IMO since Hellboy (Both movies) had a mix between both and it look great. CGI would make a Eva movie too eye candy if you ask me.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby master_lloyd » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:21 am

Wouldn't a guy in a suit look a bit Power Rangers?
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sharaz Destler » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:43 pm

master_lloyd wrote:Wouldn't a guy in a suit look a bit Power Rangers?

Not really. The Power Rangers stuff is just a "costume", but I imagine that LAEM would make use of animatronics, makeup effects, and other good stuff.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:18 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:A. Anyone looking at Star Wars for deep filmmaking is a joke.

"deep" isn't the point, it's effective business strategy, was then, and still is now, and considering the first parts of Eva aren't that "deep" to begin with, coming off as being nothing more than an action/adventure itself, nothing about this approach is flawed.

And while I can't say for sure Lucas wanted to make Star Wars his life's work, he was in it for the long haul, his starting contract stated he would have the right to make the other films no matter how the first performed, he wanted to get his trilogy made.

Finally, no, it is not moot, as "budget" wasn't my point to begin with when it came to Star Wars, it was the business model.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:WETA is an effects house first and foremost. Peter Jackson spearheaded Lord of the Rings and King Kong.

And he wishes to spearhead this one as well, most likely not as a director, but at least as a producer.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:C. Budgets have skyrocketed since Lord of the Rings was made. LOTR was kept cheap (reasonably) because all the films were made as 1 single production, so everyone from director down to caterer was only paid for once drastically cutting down on production.

The Chronicles of Narnia, $180 million, Bridge to Taribithia, $60 million.

What's more, the Halo situation, where they've built much of the props needed, and yet there's next to nothing paying for it all. I'd say you're underestimating their willfulness to see a project through.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:STAR TREK costs $150 million,

Well there you have it, the first EVA film is supposed to be $120 million, though even that's likely to inflate.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:]It'd be too dark.

The first film? Hardly. It will be a pure adrenaline-pumping action flick, the “dark” content won’t even approach until the second film. :woohoo:

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Live Action Eva could be a good sci-fi action series but it won't be EVANGELION.

And Hideaki Anno disagrees... I think I'll stick with him.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

TheLobe
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby TheLobe » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:57 pm

I recken it could be good. Its unresonable to hate it just because of who's making it (although there isn't a good track record). However I can't see it been picked up by any film maker who would do it justice, and thus would be clumsily handled by someone americans expect to write a giant robot movie.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:27 am

I just hope if this does get made before I ever get near it, Guillermo del Toro does it.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:58 am

TheLobe wrote: Its unresonable to hate it just because of who's making it (although there isn't a good track record).

... WETA Workshop's track record is rather high right now, what are you talking about? :ehh:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:52 am

backseatjesus wrote:I just hope if this does get made before I ever get near it, Guillermo del Toro does it.

I say any film version of EVA would not be worth it, unless there is a cooperation between del Toro and Anno. de Toro always puts his soul into his films and maintains contact with the creators of his adaptations. if there is anybody who should helm EVA it should be him.

outside of that, i'm content with EVA and Rebuild in terms of "new renditions".
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:56 am

As long as it sticks to a solid and "good" (can't think of any other word) storyline, I'm fine with it. And I don't want all that Hollywood crap splattered all over a Japanese-originating film.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

etjusticepourtous
Adam

Postby etjusticepourtous » Tue May 05, 2009 12:48 am

It always been my dream to direct a live action evangelion movie, it can be done, but a more serious director has to direct it. no hollywood crap. They also would need to bring the whole team that originally created evangelion to assist the director. But, people nowadays are to stupid they are into wolverine origins types of movie. The best directors for the job could be spike jonez / guillermo del toro

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue May 05, 2009 1:21 am

:facepalm:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Tue May 05, 2009 1:44 am

Bringing in the Japanese team to assist an American director sounds like a recipe for disaster. Pick an American director who at the very least understands the idea behind the series and get a scriptwriter who will try to get the scenes down in a way that translates to the movies well.

The main problem to me isn't who makes it, but how to order it. If they get, say enough airtime to present most every episode, should the produce it in order, or would strategic things like having Rei's monologue/Eva-00 going berserk in Episode 14 segue into Iruel's invasion work better? If the first movie could fit the first seven episodes, wouldn't JA fit better between Shamshel and Ramiel so that the really big battle could happen last, which is important in a movie?

Stuff like that.

etjusticepourtous
Adam

Postby etjusticepourtous » Tue May 05, 2009 10:11 am

Legendary wrote:Bringing in the Japanese team to assist an American director sounds like a recipe for disaster. Pick an American director who at the very least understands the idea behind the series and get a scriptwriter who will try to get the scenes down in a way that translates to the movies well.

The main problem to me isn't who makes it, but how to order it. If they get, say enough airtime to present most every episode, should the produce it in order, or would strategic things like having Rei's monologue/Eva-00 going berserk in Episode 14 segue into Iruel's invasion work better? If the first movie could fit the first seven episodes, wouldn't JA fit better between Shamshel and Ramiel so that the really big battle could happen last, which is important in a movie?

Stuff like that.

The Japanese team would be there for reference, they have no say on how the production will go. If the director has doubts or wants to capture the same animation in the fighting sequences with the evas he would consult the animators. You also don't want concept art from some one else except the original people, I mean you guys seen the sketches from the studio that did the cgi for lords of the rings and king kong? Thats why directors make a difference if the japs or the producers come up with shit he just goes STFU! I would go by the rebuild for reference since it's a whole movie and they fit in everything that's important. And I don't think the fighting parts in series are the focal points, but if done in a real life movie they should be done in epic proportions. In the end most people wouldn't want to see this movie if it were done how it suppose to be, but then again they could exploit the religious symbols in the movie, and create sensationalism. And yeah, a good screen writer is a must, but he should be briefed on the important aspects of the series before beginning to write, and make him watch the series 2 times in a row. lol

NemZ wrote::facepalm:

what? you taught xmen origins was a masterpiece?
Last edited by etjusticepourtous on Tue May 05, 2009 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Tue May 05, 2009 11:40 am

I don't think it entirely matters WHO makes the concept art, so long as they've seen the original series and are trying to translate the feel of the Evas into the real world. And the original team can screw up too; look at Takeshi Honda. He was animation director for some episodes, he was did key animation in some episodes... and then according to our very own wiki he designed EoE Eva-02.

As far as the battles; my point is that the movie will drag if every Angel appears in the same order. By Episode 16 they should have everything happen in the same way, but before that the intensity of what's going on really bounces around and doesn't work unless they change something. The battles aren't the most important thing, but in the Action Arc they are very defining and you can't say they aren't important.

etjusticepourtous
Adam

Postby etjusticepourtous » Tue May 05, 2009 2:29 pm

Legendary wrote:I don't think it entirely matters WHO makes the concept art, so long as they've seen the original series and are trying to translate the feel of the Evas into the real world. And the original team can screw up too; look at Takeshi Honda. He was animation director for some episodes, he was did key animation in some episodes... and then according to our very own wiki he designed EoE Eva-02.

Yeah, I just looked at it and it looks horrible. lol Maybe a concept art fan voting system where the fans vote for the best concepts of the evas and suits and all that stuff.

Legendary wrote:As far as the battles; my point is that the movie will drag if every Angel appears in the same order. By Episode 16 they should have everything happen in the same way, but before that the intensity of what's going on really bounces around and doesn't work unless they change something. The battles aren't the most important thing, but in the Action Arc they are very defining and you can't say they aren't important.

I think for that the director and the screen writer would have to work real hard together to get it right. Also, some of the fighting sequences do drag a bit, typical of anime fight scenes, maybe speeding up the fighting in some parts where it drags to much. And you mean by drag that you know whats going to happen? Changing some parts might anger some hardcore fans. But I get what your saying.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue May 05, 2009 3:56 pm

etjusticepourtous wrote:what? you taught xmen origins was a masterpiece?

I haven't seen it, but I doubt it qualifies. I was more commenting on the "I could direct it!" vibe your first post gave off.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby master_lloyd » Wed May 06, 2009 3:00 am

etjusticepourtous wrote:what? you taught xmen origins was a masterpiece?

No, I taught I saw a puddy tat. Cweepin' up on me...

(Sorry I couldn't resist!)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed May 06, 2009 6:18 am

Legendary wrote:and then according to our very own wiki he designed EoE Eva-02.

Now that I look at the credits again, they don't seem to mention anything aside from the "Eva Series Design" (which is Honda's) -- nothing on the adaptation of the old Eva design. I'm virtually positive Honda is responsible (too much adds up), but I'm going to nuke my comment on Eva-02's Wiki page unless I can verify it somehow.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kazi
Embryo

Postby Kazi » Wed May 06, 2009 2:10 pm

As long as we get people who respect the source material but know its limits, enough funding for CGI, the right actors, ADV input and Anno and/or Reichu as consultants, I don't see how live-action Eva WOULDN'T work.

And English VA camoes. :)
It must be the...Eleventeenth...Angel...

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat May 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Man, it's been years since I last posted here, but for some odd reason my Evangelion itch has decided to start acting up again lately, so I decided to poke my nose in here and add my 2¢.

First of all, Dragonball Evolution is a very bad example of Americans adapting an anime, because the only reason Fox made it was because their film rights for DB were about to expire, and in order to keep them from falling into the hands of another studio they slapped together a POS. The same thing happened with Roger Corman's Fantastic 4, except that in the case of DBE they actually had a much bigger budget (although there was just as little passion behind it).

I don't think it's fair to use Speed Racer as an example of an American anime adaptation gone wrong either, because personally I loved the movie. It was faithful to the source material, and I found the movie to be highly entertaining in addition to offering a nice family-oriented story. Unfortunately, audiences either weren't ready for it or just weren't interested, and niether were the critics. I still enjoyed the movie a lot though, and it's already becoming a cult favorite. I think it's one of those movies that was a flop in theaters, but will grow in appreciation over time (especially since kids love it).

I think it's inevitable that at least some parts of Evangelion will be "Internationalized" when the live action movie is made, but I've really got to ask-- is that really such a bad thing? I know there are some people who will scream bloody murder if the actor playing Shinji has even a drop of gaijin blood in him, if some of the names and/or surnames get anglicized, or if it takes place in "Neo City" instead of Tokyo 3, but I really have to ask: is Evangelion defined by being Japanese, or by its story and characters?

Evangelion is something that transcends culture, which is why it's managed to find so many fans all over the world. I'm sure that some changes will be made to the story too, but the same can be said of any adaptation. My point is, I will not judge this movie based on how "Japanese" it is, because I honestly don't care much about that (although I will be pissed off if Rei isn't Asian). What I do care about is whether or not I can identify the characters in the movie with their animated counterparts, and whether or not it adequately addresses the issues of angst, emotional isolation, coming of age, and individual worth that the show is identified with, and beyond that I'll judge it as I would just about every other movie. If the movie is good, then it's good. The movie could be a nearly shot-for-shot adaptation of the show and it could still suck, and it could be profoundly different from the show and still be amazing in the right hands. It all comes down to who's making it, and whether or not they have the vision to make a good movie.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”