What is the post-3I world like?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 am

Digitalex wrote:Does anyone else think Shinji kicked the grave marker down?

I don't see anyone else around who could have (unless Rei was feeling vindictive about not being able to properly re-embody). And I like your explanation of why he might.

Reichu wrote:I guess the point is, real-life physics don't apply if you don't observe the expected result. It's common sense, I would think.

Tales of the fantastic work better if miracles are handled in a parsimonious fashion, else suspension of disbelief is damaged. The EVAs are the given miracle (like FTL drives in most SF) which sustain the narrative; handwaving GNR feels to me more like fudging a special case, when she could just have evaporated.

And moreover, this is a case where we do see the expected result - the ocean splashes, just as it would from a large impactor. That was the "OMFG! They really have rogered the planet good and proper!*" moment for me.

In a scenario that already incorporated world-ravaging disaster as part of the back-story (as dramatised in ep 4, cut 57), I don't think we can dismiss the prompt tsunamis, at the very least.

*or words to that effect Image

Originally posted on: 14-Jun-2005, 19:46 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 am

My own opinion is that the toppled grave-marker is just a reference to the rejected ending, sort of an inside joke. Given that, I think that what happens is exactly what appears to happen: Asuka materializes directly next to Shinji.

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2005, 08:31 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 am

So do you think the missing entry plug of EVA-01 is an "inside joke", too?

Also, Mr. Tines, I've probably asked this before, but is there any evidence in "I Need You" to suggest the hypothetized effects of GNR's falling body parts?

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2005, 08:39 GMT

Digitalex [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 am

thewayneiac wrote:My own opinion is that the toppled grave-marker is just a reference to the rejected ending, sort of an inside joke. Given that, I think that what happens is exactly what appears to happen: Asuka materializes directly next to Shinji.

I also think Asuka materialized directly next to Shinji. Maybe Rei delivered her and that's why Shinji saw her for that brief moment. Rei came to collect some souls so I don't see why she couldn't deliver them as well.

Originally posted on: 14-Jun-2005, 21:30 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Also, Mr. Tines, I've probably asked this before, but is there any evidence in "I Need You" to suggest the hypothetized effects of GNR's falling body parts?

Well, we don't get to see much of post-3I Earth, and presuming that the bit we do see is in the Hakone area, well that has been subject to enough Bad Things that it's hard to tell which is to blame for what devastation; and that it is still clear and mild on one night. The fact that there's been a hole torn through to the mantle where the GeoFront was extracted gives a possible source of geothermal warmth for the region.

@Digitalex - Rei as midwife unwinding the Complementation: yes!

Originally posted on: 14-Jun-2005, 21:45 GMT

Digitalex [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 am

Mr. Tines wrote:@Digitalex - Rei as midwife unwinding the Complementation: yes!

Image I am now picturing Rei in the form of a stork bringing Asuka (In Chibi form) to the beach.

Originally posted on: 14-Jun-2005, 22:18 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 am

Digitalex wrote:I also think Asuka materialized directly next to Shinji.

"Materialized"? Was she beamed there by Starfleet technology or something?

Maybe Rei delivered her and that's why Shinji saw her for that brief moment.

So who did Rei 'deliver' in episode #01, when we had the corresponding sighting?

Rei came to collect some souls so I don't see why she couldn't deliver them as well.

Isn't this sort of denying the element of free will on Asuka's part? Goes against everything Rei and Yui told us, I would say.

And all things considered, there is no reason that people cannot reform anywhere that they desire. If Asuka had desired to, should could have gone back to Germany or something.

Originally posted on: 14-Jun-2005, 22:20 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:"Materialized"? Was she beamed there by Starfleet technology or something?

Time-reverse tangification, perhaps.

Reichu wrote:So who did Rei 'deliver' in episode #01, when we had the corresponding sighting?

Or whom did she harvest?

Reichu wrote:Isn't this sort of denying the element of free will on Asuka's part? Goes against everything Rei and Yui told us, I would say.

Hypothesis: the transution guide works two ways-

Asuka: Please, Shekinah-sama, will you take me home, now?

Reichu wrote:And all things considered, there is no reason that people cannot reform anywhere that they desire. If Asuka had desired to, should could have gone back to Germany or something.

Unless it's tied to where their physical remains were. As noted recently, we only get to see random giblets when the harpies devour EVA-02, and none of the core/plug assembly; what happened to the entry-plug containing Asuka in solution is a matter of conjecture.

Originally posted on: 14-Jun-2005, 22:38 GMT

Vicil [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Vicil [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 am

I just had a wierd thought.

What if Shinji found Asuka totally healthy, but he beat the crap out of her, and then fixed her up?

Originally posted on: 14-Jun-2005, 23:36 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 am

Vicil wrote:What if Shinji found Asuka totally healthy, but he beat the crap out of her, and then fixed her up?

Shinji sodomizing Asuka? Whoah, that'd be trippy.

Yes I'm aware you mentioned nothing related to SEX, but I'm a Magician, so everything is sex for me.

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2005, 00:08 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:11 am

Mr. Tines wrote:Unless it's tied to where their physical remains were. As noted recently, we only get to see random giblets when the harpies devour EVA-02, and none of the core/plug assembly; what happened to the entry-plug containing Asuka in solution is a matter of conjecture.

Actually, it's not.

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2005, 00:15 GMT

Digitalex [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:11 am

Mr. Tines wrote:Time-reverse tangification, perhaps.

That's what I was pointing towards. However, Scotty could have easily played a role in bringing Asuka back, but it was probably the alpha release of the transporter since she managed to sustain injuries. Image

Reichu wrote:So who did Rei 'deliver' in episode #01, when we had the corresponding sighting?

No clue but she might have been harvesting as suggested by Mr. Tines.

Hypothesis: the transution guide works two ways-

Asuka: Please, Shekinah-sama, will you take me home, now?

Yes. Since FedEx, UPS and other international delivery services are gone, we are left with Rei-mail. Image

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2005, 01:35 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:11 am

Reichu wrote:Isn't this sort of denying the element of free will on Asuka's part? Goes against everything Rei and Yui told us, I would say.

Not necessarily, Asuka could have brought herself back unaided, but once she did so Rei could have controlled the where. In fact, I believe that this is Scott's opinion. I think we are supposed to connect Rei's visit with Asuka's sudden appearance.

So do you think the missing entry plug of EVA-01 is an "inside joke", too?

No, plus you don't need to know about the rejected endings to see its purpose. It tells us that Shinji is no longer aboard without spending time showing him ejecting the plug. We know that Anno wanted to leave out the "ejection" scene and this shot allowed him to do so.

The grave marker is a different story, however. Without knowledge of the unused endings there's no way you can look at that toppled marker and say "Aha! I'll bet Asuka kicked hers over before she flopped down next to Shinji for a little nap!" The way the ending is presented, it serves no purpose other than as an inside joke.

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2005, 01:41 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:11 am

Asuka's sudden appearance? The first shot we see of the beach, she is there. Nothing to suggest "sudden".

And why would Rei control the where? I'm not sure I'm willing to buy any explanation for her appearance that doesn't take episode #01 into consideration, since they're clearly visually connected...

The grave marker is a different story, however. Without knowledge of the unused endings there's no way you can look at that toppled marker and say "Aha! I'll bet Asuka kicked hers over before she flopped down next to Shinji for a little nap!" The way the ending is presented, it serves no purpose other than as an inside joke.

And without other inside knowledge, I don't think anyone's going to realize that those are grave markers in the first place, let alone that Shinji made him because "people didn't come back and he gave them up as permanently dead".

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2005, 02:01 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”