What is the post-3I world like?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:02 am

No, clearly, Pen^2 is responsible. Sammael made him do it.

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2005, 07:17 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:02 am

Reichu wrote:And why would Rei control the where? I'm not sure I'm willing to buy any explanation for her appearance that doesn't take episode #01 into consideration, since they're clearly visually connected...

Rei controled the where because Shinji said "I want to see them again". She's still doing what what Shinji told her to do. It wouldn't suprise me if, as each of the characters in the "I want to see them" picture wills himself back, Rei delivers him straight to Shinji. Without her intervention they would no doubt come back wherever their souls happened to be floating.

Digitalex wrote:don't think Rei controlled the where either. I consider her the transport.

No, the dialog makes it clear that each living thing is responsible for bringing itself back. No sort of intervention by Rei is implied.

But once Asuka succeeded in reembodying, I believe that Rei saw to it that she appeared where she belonged, at Shinji's side.

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2005, 18:01 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:02 am

Reichu wrote:Also, Mr. Tines, I've probably asked this before, but is there any evidence in "I Need You" to suggest the hypothetized effects of GNR's falling body parts?

Pondering this idly, I realise I should have asked the converse questions:

What evidence do we have that 3I is any gentler than 2I, in terms of its wide ranging effects? Why would Gendo's plan involve gathering souls into the Ark of Eva (presumably as per Noah, rather than as per Indiana Jones...) if there was as little to it as de-tang yourself and carry on where you left off to effect the status quo ante?

Other idle thoughts involve "what happened to the humungous hole where the GeoFront emerged, and where did the other half of Rei's head go?" - Are those perhaps related questions?

Reichu wrote:Actually, it's not.

Had it been ruptured by the harpies? If Shinji's survived the descent, was Asuka's robust enough to survive the humungous explosion? Any answer to this is conjecture.

Digitalex wrote:Well, I see it as sudden (or at least a few hours while napping) based on Shinji's reaction of choking her.

Given that he's a boggle-eyed zombie through that scene, it's hard to tell, but it does look like her appearance was a surprise to him.

Hideki 13 wrote:I didnt really even think those were grave markers. Looked way to big to be anything to me

I didn't think of the stake with Misato's cross on as a grave marker without extratextual sources either; the shot of the memorials I saw as just an example of the devastation, charred stumps of building timbers or telegraph poles. There's nothing in shot to give an idea of scale.

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2005, 18:09 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

thewayneiac wrote:Rei controled the where because Shinji said "I want to see them again". She's still doing what what Shinji told her to do. It wouldn't suprise me if, as each of the characters in the "I want to see them" picture wills himself back, Rei delivers him straight to Shinji. Without her intervention they would no doubt come back wherever their souls happened to be floating.

...once Asuka succeeded in reembodying, I believe that Rei saw to it that she appeared where she belonged, at Shinji's side.

That doesn't feel quite as "potent" as Asuka bringing herself to Shinji's side. If it's just been "set up" by Rei, that just seems to make Asuka little more than a victim of Shinji's wishes, rather than the one controlling her own fate. And since when did Rei have teleportation abilities? I'm not convinced.

And again, since Rei at the end of #26' corresponds to the #01 sighting, I'm quite wary of accepting any explanation for #26' that doesn't take #01 into account.

Mr. Tines wrote:What evidence do we have that 3I is any gentler than 2I, in terms of its wide ranging effects? Why would Gendo's plan involve gathering souls into the Ark of Eva (presumably as per Noah, rather than as per Indiana Jones...) if there was as little to it as de-tang yourself and carry on where you left off to effect the status quo ante?

What, so you're saying that GNR falling apart and causing global catastrophe (which Shinji doesn't seem to have any problems living through -- heck, he's even managed to keep himself clean and well-groomed) was part of the 'scenario'? So what would have happened in any of the scenarios that didn't involve a giant woman hundreds of kilometers tall? Image And since Rei essentially WAS GNR, why would she die in such a manner as to screw over her dear little Shinji and everyone else?

Other idle thoughts involve "what happened to the humungous hole where the GeoFront emerged

No indication that it's not still there.

and where did the other half of Rei's head go?"

Slid into the ocean.

Mr. Tines wrote:Had it been ruptured by the harpies? If Shinji's survived the descent, was Asuka's robust enough to survive the humungous explosion? Any answer to this is conjecture.

I think it requires a bit of naivete to believe an entry plug would survive that explosion, judging by how much Rei's got trashed by the much smaller explosion that just wiped out Tokyo-3 proper. Plus it seems like it would take a significant stroke of luck to evade the spear(s) that pierced Mama's (invisible Image ) core.

(Random: If entry plugs are so goddam sturdy, why didn't they just build their entire city with the same material? Image)

And keep in mind that Shinji's survived that kind of decent with him reembodied within, and he suffered absolutely no ill effects -- but he also has a certain guardian angel who would ensure his safety. (Evas can manipulate external objects, after all -- e.g., the harpies raising the Black Moon.)

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2005, 18:29 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

I/3I:
2I didn't involve the collapse of a hundred+ km high figure either - but it still managed to blast away a continent and have other major global effects, to the extent that the survivors all skirt the issue of what the next year was like. Whatever the scenario had been intended to be, I seems a reasonable conjecture that it would involve the liberation of sufficient potencies to have similarly wide-ranging effects (hence the planned use of an Ark by Gendo).

The question to ask is "Did Rei have any choice in what happened after Shinji pulled the plug?"

he big hole:
We don't see any evidence of the effects of ocean pouring into the breach to meet a supervolcano's worth of magma coming the other way; and Rei's head is larger than the ocean is deep. Plugging the former with the latter appeals to my sense of neatness.

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2005, 18:46 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

It disintegrated into smaller pieces once the left half slid off. Image

If the ocean was going to be pouring into the crater, why don't we see it happening in that satellite view?

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2005, 19:39 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

It takes a long time to fill a big hole like that.

Oh, and seeing the new avvie - congrats on completing your commission!

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2005, 19:47 GMT

drgenestarwind [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby drgenestarwind [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:02 am

k then, now that i see that. my best guess would be that the fallen grave marker is Asuka's, she is clearly alive on the beach. and we dont get any story from any of the other characters after that point. we can assume they either returned to their bodies or remained tangified. with the exceptions of Misato and ritsuiko who had both been shot before 3I, we dont know, they were incorporated into 3I i can guess, but what would be the point of returning to their bodies? so Asuka and Shinji are the only characters we see after the colapse of GNR, since Asuka i alive i think she does not need a grave marker. i think EOE stopped at the right place. but i wish it went on just a little more for closure. of course we were never supposed to get closure, but that is why were discussing it, isnt it.

Originally posted on: 16-Jun-2005, 05:42 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

drgenestarwind wrote:with the exceptions of Misato and ritsuiko who had both been shot before 3I, we dont know, they were incorporated into 3I i can guess

Rei melted them down for the big Soul-Suck. So the answer is: Yes.

but what would be the point of returning to their bodies?

If you got shot in a lung during an enemy assault and would have died from it if you weren't dismembered by a bomb blast instead, would you want to leave it at that if you had a choice in the matter?

since Asuka i alive i think she does not need a grave marker.

She did need one until she stopped being dead.

BTW, Tines-san, thanks. (Or, as my brother would say, "Alligato gozzimas.") You can see Tiamat-sama up close and personal by clicking on the siggy, if you so desire...

It takes a long time to fill a big hole like that.

Like, however long 3I lasted? If Rei's head lands, as you think, into ... uh ... Ashinoho (because I guess it's not a lake anymore; and I'm sure nobody will get the joke, so "ho" means "bay, inlet, gulf" etc.), that means there would need to be enough room to accomodate the rest of her body in Sagamiwan (the bay east of the Izu Peninsula).

I can hear Hexon's groan all the way from here.

Originally posted on: 16-Jun-2005, 06:00 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:02 am

Reichu wrote:She did need one until she stopped being dead.

There's a sig in here somewhere. Image

Originally posted on: 16-Jun-2005, 16:19 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Like, however long 3I lasted?

I'd have to do the scaling; the high end of the scale would be the ~100 years required to refill the Med when the Gibraltar channel re-opened about 5-6My ago. The hole is vastly deeper than the Med, but smaller in area.

As for the majority of her remains - I presume they fell over the horizon, perhaps hidden behind her head in the (comparative) foreground. We see one of her arms, standing proud of the ocean.

Originally posted on: 16-Jun-2005, 17:20 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

"Standing proud of the ocean"? If it didn't fall into the ocean, where did that second giant splash come from? Image

Originally posted on: 17-Jun-2005, 06:09 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:"Standing proud of the ocean"? If it didn't fall into the ocean, where did that second giant splash come from? Image

As in "only partially submerged", indicating that the sea is not deep enough to hide something comparatively small in section.

BTW what time do you call this? Image

Originally posted on: 17-Jun-2005, 06:13 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:03 am

Are you taking an avuncular concern in my horrid sleep schedule again? Image

Originally posted on: 17-Jun-2005, 07:00 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:03 am

I picture the penguins from "Madagascar" looking across the barren, blood-stained, and desolate post-3I world, scratching themselves or clearing their throat from time to time over a couple of minutes. Finally, one of them looks at the others and says, matter-of-factly, "Well, this sucks."

Originally posted on: 08-Jun-2005, 02:40 GMT

Joeshie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joeshie [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:03 am

Due to the impact of 3I, tons of dust is kicked up into the Earth's atmosphere. The Earth then becomes superheated due to the greenhouse effect. Eventually, mankind is forced to live underground away from the heat. However, they soon discover that the Evangelions are alive! In fact, the Evangelions are using humans as a source of power so that they can continue to live. Mankind is gathered into one city underground called Ziokyo where Shinji and Asuka attempt to free their brethren who are being used as batteries while pulged into the "Evatrix". However, in order to fight the Evangelions, Shinji and Asuka must learn to use the force and battle their archnemesis, Darth Evader. Will Asuka and Shinji be able to stop Evader and free their captive race?

Damn. I could make this into a movie and make millions.

Originally posted on: 08-Jun-2005, 03:07 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:03 am

Joeshie wrote:Damn. I could make this into a movie and make millions.

Or you could make it into a fanfic, and not get pwned by lawsuits.

Originally posted on: 08-Jun-2005, 03:17 GMT

Joeshie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joeshie [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:03 am

Soluzar wrote:Or you could make it into a fanfic, and not get pwned by lawsuits.

See, but by changing the names slightly, I can avoid the lawsuits. Image

Originally posted on: 08-Jun-2005, 03:28 GMT

Digitalex [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:03 am

Joeshie wrote:However, in order to fight the Evangelions, Shinji and Asuka must learn to use the force and battle their archnemesis, Darth Evader. Will Asuka and Shinji be able to stop Evader and free their captive race?

Damn. I could make this into a movie and make millions.

OMGLOL!!!! That's frikkin' hilarious.

Originally posted on: 08-Jun-2005, 05:19 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:03 am

Some time after the end of the movie Shinji and Asuka go looting.

Big time.

Originally posted on: 08-Jun-2005, 20:18 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”