Shikinami Asuka Langley...?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Itac
Adam

Postby Itac » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:17 am

The rank is certainly an interesting point.
It's been a while since I've watched Rebuild(And I don't think I've seen it with the latest subs), but as I recall neither Shinji nor Rei have a rank.

It would be logical to assume that Asuka was given the rank of "Captain" simply because she's a pilot (To be a pilot in the Air Force, you must have an officer rank), and since she's the pilot of the Production Model, she would have a higher rank.

But it doesn't make sense given that Shinji and Rei don't have a rank, and I would assume that Anno anticipated giving Asuka a rank since he changed the rank of Misato. So the only logical conclusion I can draw is that it would add to her whole feeling of being beaten by someone worse than her, which is assuming that the entire Asuka arc is even in Rebuild.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:17 am

Mr. Tines wrote:If you think of them as Air Force instead, as you suggest, the rank of Captain makes perfect sense.

Keep in mind, if you believe Google the "translator", Evas are aircrafts.

rberlin wrote:I just assumed that dates were removed because it would be silly to base a series of movies around the premise that the world almost ended nine years ago.

I thought the same thing.

Itac wrote:...So the only logical conclusion I can draw is that it would add to her whole feeling of being beaten by someone worse than her, which is assuming that the entire Asuka arc is even in Rebuild.

I have a feeling you might be right.
(Oh, and welcome to the forums.)
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:40 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:If anyone can prove to me Rebuild takes place in 2015 I'll be a happy camper. I'm a bit St. Paddy's day drunk but as far as I can remember there are no blatant signs pointing to 2015 in this series. The eva pilot seats don't have a big 2014- Test Type written on it.

i think the only mentioning of years is that they are using a 14 year old scenario and that Misato has had pen pen for 14 years, "thats a long time..."

RockManBalls
Lilith

Postby RockManBalls » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:50 pm

cat42 wrote:Keep in mind, if you believe Google the "translator", Evas are aircrafts.

機体, or just 機, is mecha-speak for the model of the mech/robot. Also for airplanes or fighter jets.

二佐, or Nisa, Lieutenant Colonel in the JASDF, is Misato's rank in Jo. 大尉, or Taii, is pretty nondescript, but if it is Captain in the Air Force, Asuka would be two ranks under. 一尉/空尉, Ichii/Kuui, would the full title in the Air Force, but I'm guessing they didn't want to put anything explicitly relating to the Air Force in there because it would sound too awkward. That's the best I can come up with anyway.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:47 pm

The whole matter of rank might figure directly into the title You Can (Not) Advance.

Asuka's got a higher rank despite Shinji's greater (actual combat) experience, I'd be a little frustrated too.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:24 pm

I was thinking that too. Actually, I also get the feeling that Asuka being a captain is meant to 1) Give Shinji more of a reason to admire her. (Yes he does seem to admire her in the original series.) 2) Possibly in place or addition to Asuka being a genius that graduated College at 13. 3) Giving Asuka a more concrete as it were reason to deep down have feelings of inferiority.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:40 pm

I'm thinking all the pilots have been assigned a military rank... it's just that they haven't been told (Shinji) or don't care (Rei). Asuka would definately make a big deal out of it though, throwing it around freely as yet another reason for her superiority and in all likelihood vied strongly for promotions during her time in NERV-Germany.

Hell, NERV probably started her out as a simple airman (or equivalent) and made her earn her rank through constant training (and officer's school rather than university?) so that she could properly qualify as a pilot. All the more reason to be pissed off that Shinji was just handed his rank on arrival, as well as the fact that he doesn't even seem to care he has it.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:16 pm

I kinda get the feeling Asuka's the only pilot to have a rank--if the other pilots did, wouldn't it have been mentioned in 1.0's poster or Explanation of 1.01? Also, Asuka being captain makes sense to give her something to brag about, but whatever, we'll find out soon enough.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:25 pm

arkiel wrote:Asuka's got a higher rank despite Shinji's greater (actual combat) experience

The same could be said of many NCOs compared with their commanding officers. That said, Shinji is not Sgt. Major material, not by any stretch of the imagination.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Itac
Adam

Postby Itac » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:39 pm

An interesting thought I had, and I don't take it with any grain of seriousness other than just...well, a random thought.

I wouldn't think it makes sense, but perhaps Asuka isn't connected to her Eva in the way others are (02 without a soul?) so they chose her as the officer to pilot it because she displayed exemplary reflexes, or something...

Production Model without a soul?
I doubt it.
It was just a random concept I came up with as after all, we have NO idea what will be different.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Lucretius » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:47 pm

Itac wrote:
I wouldn't think it makes sense, but perhaps Asuka isn't connected to her Eva in the way others are (02 without a soul?) so they chose her as the officer to pilot it because she displayed exemplary reflexes, or something...

Production Model without a soul?
I doubt it.
It was just a random concept I came up with as after all, we have NO idea what will be different.

Of course there's no evidence, but I was thinking something similar about Unit 05. It'd explain the helmet thing.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

rberlin
Adam

Postby rberlin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:27 pm

Pretty much goes without saying for 06.

But even if an Eva is able to be piloted without a soul via some sort of electronic device such as a dummy plug, without a soul it wouldn't be able to project an AT Field. Might as well be Jet Alone 2.0.

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:32 pm

While I agaree that a name is just a name, Asuka is such a big part of fandom in the Eva world and her name being established as Soryu in that world, it seems like an odd marketing decision if nothing else.

Also, if she's now being named after a sister ship to a ship called Ayanami, are she and Rei going to be sisters/half-sisters/step sisters now?
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

HENRCAST
Adam

Postby HENRCAST » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:13 pm

I can't believe this! I mean, Asuka's name symbolized EVERYTHING Evengelion was! Now that the freaking name isn't the same, the story doesn't make any sense, the characters suck and the animation is poor. Now that the name isn't the same, Evangelion will NEVER, EVER be the same. Thank you Anno, you ruined my life. Now I don't know in what to believe, and the world seems to be a big illusion. Tonight I'm gonna finish my miserable life for good.

rberlin
Adam

Postby rberlin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:03 pm

Exactly my thoughts. I want something new and fresh, but familiar and nonthreatening.

Twsa'teotu
Banned

Postby Twsa'teotu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:13 pm

the only possible reason I can think for them changing her name, is if Kyoko is still named "Kyoko Zeppelin Soryu" and they forced Asuka to take her Stepmother's name. I like that theory and hope its true.
Question: "who the hell do you think I am?"
Answer: "My name is Mr. Snrub and I come from some place far away....Anyway, I say we invest that money back in the nuclear plant. "
"I like the way Snrub thinks!"

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:19 pm

Herncast wrote: Now that the freaking name isn't the same, the story doesn't make any sense, the characters suck and the animation is poor.

Really? Because 2.0's animation looks even better then what we got for 1.0. Also, I think more or less saying "everything now sucks about Rebuild because of Asuka's name change" is a huge exaggeration. Yes, Asuka's rank being changed will affect her personality, but the name change shouldn't be that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Twsa'teotu: There's also the possibility Asuka changed her name of her own accord to distance herself from Kyoko.

Itac
Adam

Postby Itac » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:23 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Also, I think more or less saying "everything now sucks about Rebuild because of Asuka's name change" is a huge exaggeration.

Personally I'm pretty sure that entire post was an exaggeration.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:41 pm

HENRCAST wrote:Words

:hahaha: Oh, you had me going there for a second......
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

tian2992
Embryo

Postby tian2992 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:35 pm

HENRCAST wrote:I can't believe this! I mean, Asuka's name symbolized EVERYTHING Evengelion was! Now that the freaking name isn't the same, the story doesn't make any sense, the characters suck and the animation is poor. Now that the name isn't the same, Evangelion will NEVER, EVER be the same. Thank you Anno, you ruined my life. Now I don't know in what to believe, and the world seems to be a big illusion. Tonight I'm gonna finish my miserable life for good.

LOL ROFTL!

As for the Name, Sucks bollocks, and does not roll of the tongue as Soryu, but well, no harm done...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”