2.0 Trailer speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:07 am

Legendary wrote:the stooges in the classroom

A pretty generic scene as far as the series is concerned, just FYI.

The ending of 1.0 had a new Angel, that moon giant.

The Newtype article probably wasn't referring to the Moon Giant, since it was published in anticipation of 2.0 (i.e., something we haven't seen yet). But we shall have to wait and find out.

Why can't Matarael, an underappreciated Angel, appear in a different context?

The bizarro cut in the trailer on its own isn't enough to persuade me of Matarael's presence, but I'm not averse to the idea of a heavily-reworked Matarael showing up and kicking a little ass.

arkiel wrote:Of course, we're ALL assuming an awful lot of the plot.

Anything look especially wrong with the rough deductions I based off the movie poster? (I don't intend to "assume" at this point so much as make "crudely educated guesses subject to change at any point, esp. with infusions of any additional information".)

Agentomega wrote:Of course, the two Lilliths make matters all the more weird...

Worth noting that the Moon Giant's body is completely covered, so we don't know the degree to which it actually resembles Lilith (or "that thing on the cross that Misato called Lilith").
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:59 am

Reichu wrote:A pretty generic scene as far as the series is concerned, just FYI.

Argh, I'm pretty sure they werelooking freaked though, but I can't double check. If they're looking freaked, the only time they were like that in that position was post-Gaghiel when Asuka showed up again. If I'm remembering the preview right, this implies that Toji and Asuka meet in a similar context.

But I could be totally remembering that wrongly.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:28 pm

Reichu wrote::facepalm: You didn't read this post (or this post, for that matter), did you?
I read both of them before posting. I don't see anything in my post that contradicts anything you said or suggested.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:33 pm

Well, the rebuild tetralogy will diverge significantly from the anime at some point... From the minor things like the change in Asuka's name to the appearance of 2 new Evangelion units and Mari indicate that after a certain point, all familiarity with the original series will be lost. The question is, when does it happen? I'm guessing sometime around the end of 2.0, or the beginning of 3.0. I don't think they'll end up ending with another Third Impact (again, I favor the theory that this happens after EoE).

-edit- Perhaps there'll be an extreme plot twist, like something no one had forseen, like more angels than they expected. After all, if there are no more angels remaining, how can there be 2 more movies? Of course, this could be structured such that they get 4/5 out of seven angels out of the way this movie, then leave more time in 3 to focus on the remaining 3/2, and finish up with another impact in 4...
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:05 pm

http//www.ijapan.org/red/
^for when the trailer comes up, if it is Japanese IP exclusive.

(This should work for streaming video. If not, there are about a billion other web-based portals like it. One of those should work.)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:31 pm

Jimmy wrote: but these "buildings" in the back look pretty odd as they are. Those on a ship? Dunno...

I thought it was either part of the ship, or buildings in the distance. ...Damn quality of the trailer.

Tines wrote:that there was romance -- at least involving Shinji -- in NGE as we saw it needs to take off the goggles.

This coming from the guy who once claimed in a post that Rei and Shinji "were like lovers" in episode 6? :um-no: Anyway, there ARE hints of romance involving Shinji in the series, it's just nothing final closure-wise ever comes from any of it: whether it's the awkwardness around Misato, familiarity with Rei, or sexual tension with Asuka. (For the record, I feel Shinji and Kaworu had a platonic love.)

onlylunch2 wrote:more about Shinji accepting who he is and his reality; he finds happiness through himself

Both takes of episode 26 did this with the ending; Lucretius quoted the relevant passages recently in the thread.

Oedipusfoot wrote:We know it's a guy because of the black boobless plugsuit he's wearing.

I can barely make heads or tails out of the trailer with the crappy quality it has. >_< But, if it really is a guy instead of the Eva itself (or Mari) then I'm starting to think it's Shinji, too.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:55 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Oedipusfoot wrote:We know it's a guy because of the black boobless plugsuit he's wearing.

I can barely make heads or tails out of the trailer with the crappy quality it has. >_< But, if it really is a guy instead of the Eva itself (or Mari) then I'm starting to think it's Shinji, too.

I'm not entirely certain it's Shinji... It seems that for every Evangelion Unit, there must be a distinct pilot. The only thing good having 2 evas to 1 pilot is if one breaks. I'm thinking more along the lines of Kensuke, if it is indeed a guy.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Ingraman
Lilith

Postby Ingraman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:05 pm

If it's really Shinji piloting the Eva-05 in that shot, there will be a little problem about the soul inside the unit....and the compatibility with him. By the way...the plug suit seems a little darker. Let's hope we can resolve the "mistery" within a couple of weeks...with a better copy of the trailer.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:08 pm

What about Unit 04? Will be destory like in the original series or will have a role like it did in the NGE2 video game? I hope to see more info on the movie soon.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:15 pm

Ingraman wrote:If it's really Shinji piloting the Eva-05 in that shot, there will be a little problem about the soul inside the unit....

Maybe that's the problem the weird visor is "attending". Interesting that nothing on 2.0's list of key terms seems to be an obvious fit for the device, though.

By the way...the plug suit seems a little darker.

Please keep in mind that brightness/contrast in the shakycam version are totally whack.

For everyone's convenience:

Image Image

Guyver Spawn wrote:What about Unit 04? Will be destory like in the original series

Image Image

Legendary wrote:Argh, I'm pretty sure they werelooking freaked though, but I can't double check.

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ingraman
Lilith

Postby Ingraman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:39 pm

Or maybe the particular helmet is connected with the "provisional" nature of the unit.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:52 pm

Reichu wrote:
Guyver Spawn wrote:What about Unit 04? Will be destory like in the original series

Image Image

If that does happen then that one hell of a blast. It sucks that Unit 04 nevers has a big role at all in any media of the series but at least I still have Unit 05 and 06 to look foward to.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby universalperson » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Look, for all we know, Eva-04 might vanish and then magically reappear in the next movie.

I'm personally hoping that we're all wrong about Kaworu and he pops up WAY earlier than he should. Seriously, if the third and fourth movies are just supposed to really be one big movie, I'm not sure how they can fit Episodes 24' and EOE/25' and 26'. Especially if they want to include stuff from 25 and 26 just to mess with us.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:53 pm

*crosses fingers and hopes leliel is somehow combined with another angel*

wonder if they'll just give us only that 2 second explosion shot and say, "o, look, we lost eva 4. moving on..."

rberlin
Adam

Postby rberlin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:00 pm

Anyone think the cellphone cam guy is a Gainax plant?

All the security measures I'm sure they took, and one guy manages to get the whole thing on his cell phone? You'd think they'd confiscate cellphones and sneaking in a digital camera isn't any harder than a phone under those circumstances.

And what's the point of making a trailer nobody can see?

I'm pretty sure this whole thing is just to make us geeks squint harder and needlessly wreck our eyes.

Thanks Anno.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:06 pm

well it will be released officially soon, they just want it to be exclusive to the people who went to see the db:e movie for now

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:52 pm

rberlin wrote:Anyone think the cellphone cam guy is a Gainax plant?

All the security measures I'm sure they took, and one guy manages to get the whole thing on his cell phone? You'd think they'd confiscate cellphones and sneaking in a digital camera isn't any harder than a phone under those circumstances.

And what's the point of making a trailer nobody can see?

I'm pretty sure this whole thing is just to make us geeks squint harder and needlessly wreck our eyes.

Thanks Anno.
INBOU DESU!

That's silly. It'd be ridiculous to confiscate everyone's cell phones before letting them into the theater, especially since practically everyone in Japan has one.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:01 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:This coming from the guy who once claimed in a post that Rei and Shinji "were like lovers" in episode 6? :um-no:

citation required
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Soul Fire » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:18 pm

It was probably only me but the screeen shots as crappy as they are, seem to suggest to me that we could be looking at maybe more than one angel attacking at once. If I remember rightly in the series, that was always a fear that SEELE had and was rumored to be one of the reasons for the production speed up on the rest of the eva units. I might have got my facts wrong at some polnt though. Could we be looking at the angels attacking simultaniously. Is there a possibility of this from looking at the screen shots to any of you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:37 pm

universalperson wrote:Look, for all we know, Eva-04 might vanish and then magically reappear in the next movie.

"Vanish", indeed. As for what does or does not happen later, Anno knows. (Maybe.)

I'm personally hoping that we're all wrong about Kaworu

:glances at u.p.'s Kaworu/Rei avatar:

I wonder why? :devil:

Seriously, if the third and fourth movies are just supposed to really be one big movie, I'm not sure how they can fit Episodes 24' and EOE/25' and 26'. Especially if they want to include stuff from 25 and 26 just to mess with us.

"Totally new ending".

Ingraman wrote:Or maybe the particular helmet is connected with the "provisional" nature of the unit.

Whatever the hell "provisional" is supposed to mean [in this context].

rberlin wrote:All the security measures I'm sure they took, and one guy manages to get the whole thing on his cell phone?

It isn't the whole thing. The beginning is cut off. (The shakycam starts with "And let me play among the stars".)

Soul Fire wrote:It was probably only me but the screeen shots as crappy as they are, seem to suggest to me that we could be looking at maybe more than one angel attacking at once.

There's nothing so far, crappy screenshots or otherwise, to suggest the possibility of multiple Angels attacking at once.

In before someone inevitably says "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE" -- he was asking about screenshots specifically, not "the possibilities contained by the length and breadth of fan imagination".

Speaking of crappy screenshots -- more fun with those to tide us over, coming up next.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”