Shikinami Asuka Langley...?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

Shikinami Asuka Langley...? SPOILERS!

Postby Shiro » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:50 pm

Promotional advertising reveals that apparently Asuka's name is being changed to Asuka Langley Shikinami...why? There's a Japanese destroyer named "Shikinami." But still...why the hell would they do that?

source: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7179/shikinamiasukalangleyan.jpg

EDIT: Goddamn it, I need to read the 2.0 thread before I make a topic next time.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Lucretius » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:09 pm

It's probably a meaningless, superficial change. Just like all the others in Webuild to date. :smirk:

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Iron Rooster » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:17 pm

I wonder if they plan on introducing more of Asuka's family this time around instead of leaving them as some sort of generally unseen influence.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:32 pm

Lucretius wrote:It's probably a meaningless, superficial change.
It is most certainly not.

-Rei Ayanami is the first child(ren). The first Ayanami-type destroyer was named Ayanami.

-Asuka Langley Shikinami is the second child(ren). The second Ayanami-type destroyer was named Shikinami.

See other thread for more details.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:32 pm

I support this decision simply to see Asuka fans RAAAAAAGE.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Lucretius » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:30 pm

NAveryW wrote: words

Meh, still a pretty unimportant change, battleship nomenclature or not.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:53 pm

It doesnt sound as good as Sorhyu.... seriously, bullshit aside. It just doesnt sound as good.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:18 pm

Dartz wrote:It doesnt sound as good as Sorhyu.... seriously, bullshit aside. It just doesnt sound as good.
If her name were Shikinami in the orignal and were changed to Soryu for Rebuild, people would be complaining just as much. And if, say, Rei Ayanami's name were originally Rei, um... Tenchi... and were changed to Ayanami for Rebuild, BOY would everyone get angry that it "just doesn't sound right".

LIGHTFIRELT
Adam

Postby LIGHTFIRELT » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:47 pm

All will be revealed in due time. Though in my opinion an ill-advised move on their part for the reasons above.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:55 pm

Sorry, no. I'm done with Rebuild. Done.

I had hope for it, but this just too much. What's in character's name? Well, what if suddenly it's not Frodo but Billy? Not Harry Potter but Harry Williams? You basically take the soul of a character, who they are in the fan's mind and toss it aside. Just toss it aside. And for what? You don't just change the name of the most popular and iconic characters ever for shits and giggles.

And don't give me the usual, idiotic justification that Rebuild is "new." Nobody else has had their name changed, have they? This new thing only apparently applies to things meant to completely destroy Asuka character to the point where now she doesn't even have the name that we've come to know for the last 15 years! Fuck that.

I want to be sensible about this, but I can't. There is no reasoning for this, none whatsoever. And no excuse. They wouldn't dare--they wouldn't DARE to change Shinji Ikari's name, or Rei Ayanami's.

Anno can rot hell for I care. If I even meet the man I will drop-kick in the face.

Ramiel²
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Ramiel² » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:01 pm

Personally i wouldn't mind those change of the Name, The Name on which we rely is still the same as Asuka.
But for the new Story ,which simply ahd be changed on the one or other way it might be helpfull to find better implications to understand the role of each character.

The want to point out some kind of connection between Rei and Asuka and they add "captain" to Asuka.
So that could just underline the fact in how many ways she is or she thinks she is ,is superior to Shinji.

And for gods Sake i hope they don't ruin the relationship of Asuka and Shinji.
It is one of the most unique relationships i'Ve ever seen ,i doub't anno will simply remove those important stuff ,but of course he has to make it clear in shorter time..and that might be the big Problem for Rebuild.

LIGHTFIRELT
Adam

Postby LIGHTFIRELT » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:03 pm

Somebody's real sour.. Well I am to an extent but only cause a genuine reason hasn't turned up yet.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:11 pm

I don't really feel sour. Just ... like someone took something I loved and destroyed it. Does that make sense? Maybe it's just the shock, but hell ...

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Lucretius » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:25 pm

Careful; Reichu might give you a 15,000 word reprimand. ;)

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Szmitten » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:27 pm

Having been away from Evangelion and fandom for quite a while, coming back to this is pretty cool. To be honest, I want as many changes as possible, what would be the point otherwise? Take the initial concept, go to new places with it.

I'm not at all bothered by the name change either, I quite like it actually.

It'll be alright darlings. :nyao:

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:28 pm

Rommel wrote:I don't really feel sour. Just ... like someone took something I loved and destroyed it. Does that make sense? Maybe it's just the shock, but hell ...

Wil Wheaton says "Don't be a dick".

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:51 pm

Ramiel² wrote:And for gods Sake i hope they don't ruin the relationship of Asuka and Shinji.

The tears of S/A shippers are like sweet nectar to me. Shinji/Mari end confirmed.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Ramiel² wrote:The want to point out some kind of connection between Rei and Asuka
Their connection was to be polar opposites. Making Asuka an Ayanami "subclass" doesn't really help with that. And if that connection is going to change - well, seeing how Rei's still the same, that'd probably mean we'll get a total AIAO...

One has to give them credit though - this kind of thing certainly gets the people talking about 2.0.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Rommel wrote:Sorry, no. I'm done with Rebuild. Done.

I had hope for it, but this just too much. What's in character's name? Well, what if suddenly it's not Frodo but Billy? Not Harry Potter but Harry Williams? You basically take the soul of a character, who they are in the fan's mind and toss it aside. Just toss it aside. And for what? You don't just change the name of the most popular and iconic characters ever for shits and giggles.

And don't give me the usual, idiotic justification that Rebuild is "new." Nobody else has had their name changed, have they? This new thing only apparently applies to things meant to completely destroy Asuka character to the point where now she doesn't even have the name that we've come to know for the last 15 years! Fuck that.

I want to be sensible about this, but I can't. There is no reasoning for this, none whatsoever. And no excuse. They wouldn't dare--they wouldn't DARE to change Shinji Ikari's name, or Rei Ayanami's.

Anno can rot hell for I care. If I even meet the man I will drop-kick in the face.
This is probably the most hilarious post I've ever read here. A character's surname that you hardly ever hear in the show is changed and suddenly Anno is an evil, childhood-raping, giant spaceship made of dicks.

Even if you did end up hating Rebuild for some sane, legitimate reason, such as changing something about Asuka's character that actually matters, Anno has done absolutely nothing to ruin the NGE that we've come to know for the last 15 years. It's still there in all its glory.

P.S. I actually like the name "Harry Williams" better than "Harry Potter". I'd hazard to say I think it fits the character better. Flame away!

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:03 pm

Uhm, I'm very amused by this "Harry Williams" and "Billy Baggins" nonsense. It isn't the same thing. Equivalents in those fandoms would be "Jane Granger" or "Pippin Underhill."

But the nitpicking your analogies aside, Asuka being renamed isn't an issue to me all that much. I don't like the name they gave her, as was said, she's Ayanami's opposite, not her second, but it's not so big a deal, as long as they keep her with the same personality type and she gets a few good Eva fights in.

After all, it's the character's struggles that matter, not their names.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”