Fancy a game of chess?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Fancy a game of chess?

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:43 pm

I go by Nem55 on Chess.com if anybody is interested.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:33 pm

Is Chess the game with the hardcore nudity and bondage? If so, then yes.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:06 pm

the safe word is 'horsey'
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:39 pm

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:48 pm

Howabout a game of Homeworlds? Or Phutball? Or...

Obscure board games, +10 to geek factor. That's +9 more than you, NemZ! :devil:

Chess is so passe.

Actually, I haven't been there in a long time. I went by "freemonty," and I'm not that good. But I'd love to get back into it!
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:33 am

Go kicks Chess's ass in every way.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:48 am

I've played a little bit of Go, but I'm not very good at it. I understand the concepts fairly well I think but I don't have enough experience to feel how things are going to develop, and thus have trouble developing formations that will live unless they're on a board edge.

Chess on the other hand I've been playing for most of my life and I can confidently say that I don't completely suck at it.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:50 am

Shiro wrote:Go kicks Chess's ass in every way.

You are such a weeaboo.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:55 am

ZapalacX wrote:Image

I see Schneizel has just come on to Zero.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:53 pm

BrikHaus wrote:You are such a weeaboo.
[witty, yet overused insight into Brik's personality goes here]
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:54 am

But isn't Go Chinese? ^_^
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:38 am

Synapsid wrote:
But isn't Go Chinese? ^_^

That's where it started, probably, but just like Chess diffused throughout Europe (despite originating in the middle east), Go is found all over the place in Asia, wherever the Chinese had some kind of influence. And yes, that includes Japan, which means Shiro is still a weaboo. ;)
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:20 am

The first evidence of Go was in ancient China, some 5000 years ago, and it's still played the same way it was back then. By the time of Confucius, Go was considered one of the 4 "Accomplishments" (Go, Calligraphy, Music, and Poetry). It's called Weiqi in Mandarin. During the social revolution in China, the playing of Go was banned and a lot of the country's (the world's) best players went to Korea or Japan, one of them being Go Siegen (not his given name), who revolutionized the game. During this time, Japan became the country with the best Go players so when it spread, the Japanese words for Go terminology is used (tesuji, joseki, semai, seki, tenuki, etc), so it sounds like a Japanese game.

There are ~10^171 possible Go games, there are ~10^80 atoms in the observable universe, there are ~10^50 possible Chess games. The New Scientist thinks it will take 28 more years before computers become powerful enough to beat the weakest professional Go player at even strength, and we're talking super computers, not computers that an average person can own.

Shiro isn't the only one here who plays Go. I play on the KGS server and have a ranking that meanders between 7k and 9k. There are actually a couple of bots that people run on KGS using some pretty hardcore hardware, but the best of them can only reach a rank of 2k.

I stopped playing Chess altogether around 20 years ago when I watched 2 people play a game of Go when I was in college. I've had a few good friends in the Chess club at the time, one of them was ranked in the top 10 in the state. I had no chance in the world of beating them (I couldn't even beat the ranked guy when he started the game without a queen or rooks) unless I read books or got really good at reading moves ahead. When I picked up Go, the game so heavily relied on intuition that it was easy to pick up and play fairly well. There are only a handful of rules and most of the time you're better off not even reading ahead (this is why computers have such a hard time).

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:09 pm

@Ornette
Wow, I'm amazed by all this background information on the game, I'll have to take a look at it when I get the time.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:43 pm

Now you talk of chess, I realize that I haven't even taken the pains to learn the rules :leekspin: This isn't so surprising when you consider the fact that as a Chinese I can barely remember how Chinese chess is played...
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”