Flaws in NGE?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Another Asuka
Adam

Flaws in NGE?

•      
  •      

Postby Another Asuka » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:41 pm

I consider NGE to my favourite anime by a good few light years.
Now I know it can be argued that the story is needlessy complex at times and could have been told more coherently, which is the main purpose of Rebuild of Eva', but I still consider NGE to be a genuine flawed masterpiece. So my question is this; Is NGE your favourite anime and what do you consider it's flaws,if any. If it's not your favourite anime what is and why?

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:59 pm

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:49 pm

My favorite flaw is the neko.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:25 pm

NOT RLY.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:36 pm

A little less spam if you please. Monkey: Practice what you preach about not wanting threads to be shat on.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Another Asuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Another Asuka » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Thank you Sailor Star Dust . This forum is for serious discussions only so if people do not have something intelligent to contribute to my thread please stay out of it.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:57 pm

Yes.
Evangelion is my favorite anime.
I also love discussing it's plot with others(thank God for this forum. Oh yeah and Eva Monkey too).

It's also great, fun, massively confusing and fustrating trying to fill the plot holes.

It's also something fun to parody if you understand it well enough in my opinion.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:39 pm

http://www.evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6157 Archived thread that's related to the topic at hand.

Eva has flaws just like every series, whether it's horribly unfanwankable errors (Episode 24' much?) or character animation changes in episodes (the weirdness of how the characters look in episode 11) but that doesn't stop it from being a great show.

The flaw that bothers me the most is probably Episode 24' with Kaworu apparently knowing Adam isn't down in Terminal Dogma but first IDing Lilith as Adam anyway. Oh well.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:21 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:http://www.evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6157 Archived thread that's related to the topic at hand.

SSD beat me to the linkage. Yes, everyone read that one. Classic and "historically significant" (Eva Monkey started it in the wake of my Revelations Madness).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:15 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Eva has flaws just like every series, whether it's horribly unfanwankable errors (Episode 24' much?) or character animation changes in episodes (the weirdness of how the characters look in episode 11) but that doesn't stop it from being a great show.

They're not that weird in Ep 11 - they just look like thet got Ghibli makeover - as they did.

Ep 11 is also one of the best animated eps of the show, not surprising due to studio that was involved in it

Anyway, flaws:

Ep 24' gigantic plothole*
Bridge bunnies material reused again and again

* I still refure to believe there isn't something else to it all, with whole scene being so weird et al

HENRCAST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HENRCAST » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:11 pm

Eva is surely my favorite anime, but as basically everyone said here it doesn't go without its flaws, I'll list the ones I remember here:

- Completely useless episodes (basicaly 10-14 and some others): excepting for some Angels deaths, those have almost nothing important. Some people could say they have character development, but I have to disagree. Episode 15 is almost useless in terms of story progression (excepting for the final minutes) but its an example of real character development.

- Bunchs of unexplained stuff: some people could argue that the series is supposed to be like that, but I can't help but to feel that the plot is ultimately incomplete.

Aside from that, I can't remember anything that bothers me right now, but as soon as some come to my mind be sure that I'll post them!:thumbsup:

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:50 pm

NGE is my favourite anime, bar frakin' none.

But, yeah, flaws, it's got a bunch. I've got a really ambivalent relationship with the ambiguity of the series - it provokes discussion, but sometimes it just feels like there's TOO little of an idea of what's going on. There is a line between ambiguity and placidly spoon-feeding info to the audience.

Sometimes the way scenes in the series are edited or constructed makes things harder to understand on immediate viewing. It's almost like in media res but with less flashbacks.

I know we've reached some strong conclusions on these boards, but sometimes you just hunger for a Word of Canon from somebody else.

But then, THEN I start thinking that Evangelion wouldn't be the same if its cracks were repaired. [/i]
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:23 pm

I think it's probably the flaws, in a way, that make Eva such a good anime. Plot holes there may be, as well as the occasional run-out-of-budget, minute-and-a-half long still, but those aren't the flaws I'm referring to. What I mean is the ending and how the entire point of the series remains ambiguous, up to the very end. It's the way we can legitimately discuss its meaning and plot devices, without being refuted by solid canonical walls, that makes it truly something to remember. OK, this might not really be a flaw after all, but yes, there certainly is a feeling of incompletion to it--a sort of beauty in its imperfection, if you like.
Apologies if I don't make any sense.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:19 am

Having just read the commentary of a few episodes from the Geek Commentary Project website, it's rather obvious that Eva has far too many flaws, continuity issues especially (Reichu has been really observant to point out that many). But these are minor things I suppose; as long as the main storyline is making sense (I don't know if I should say Eva's story actually makes sense, but you know what I mean) it's ok for me.

And yea, as AyrYntake has said, the little flaws actually made it more intriguing; they caused me to think more when I watched the series as I would secondguess whether Anno deliberately made those mistakes (all people love conspiracies including me;) ).
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:17 pm

The only flaws I seen in the series for me was the last two episodes where most of it was nothing more then flash backs. Other then that, it hardly ruined it for me.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Forsaken Instrumentality
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Forsaken Instrumentality » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:18 am

Theres no doubt that NGE is a good anime but it has some flaws:

The Angels are needlessly suicidal most of time such as Israfel (He/She could of either separated again to throw the dancing duo out of sync or simple step to the right so they'd miss); Sahaquiel ( He/She could of simple drop both ends of itself then while the Evas are distracted, drop itslef); Iruel (Just keep one of he/she-selves normal and it could start it all over again); Arael (Same problem as blimming Israfel).

Shinji is just plain weird; why would he go to Asuka when Misato and Rei are probably a million times nicer to him than what pre-3I Asuka would ever be? and there are a lot more character flaws meh meh meh.....

Lastly 3I, whats the purpose? to be God? Sure I understand the good parts about being God but you have to do something in God form; like creating a new world or sending new SoL; not being a naked white chika bigger than the Earth looking like she has god forsaken frozen.

Sorry you have to hear me ramble but overall NGE is something I always watch.... :ting:

Oh yeah now that I noticed the way that Gainax animates they mouth is weird....

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:04 am

Forsaken Instrumentality wrote:The Angels are needlessly suicidal most of time...

Well, it has to be so otherwise the show can't end on time. It's only 20 something minutes per episode, you know. After subtracting those static conversation scenes, Eva launching sequences and so on you don't really have much time for the real fight. Still, the bad guys have to die at the end, no matter what. That said, the angels are being suicidal for the greater good: the completeness of the show! :chuckles:
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

SAWgunner
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SAWgunner » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:31 am

The music is what really kills me. It's almost like the creative staff were like "Hey, let's create an anime about God, humanity, the human psyche, and life itself that will redefine the medium."
"Great idea! What kind of music should we put in it?"
"The most insipid pop-shit ever of course! And we should make sure we put it where it will be the most jarring and least appropriate."

Take EoE for example. Why does the gorgeously animated and mind-blowing scene showing an apocalypse where all of humanity dissolves into oblivion while their souls are merged into a macrocosmic hive-mind need to have a third-rate Engrish lounge lizard song playing through it? Dude, all they had to do was call me and I would've lent them my Godspeed You! Black Emperor CD. Shit.

Oh yeah, and the English dub. Rei and Gendo are fine but the others need to have the big fat dude from Crowbar come over and straighten them out. Especially meth-head Tiffany...

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:43 am

SAWgunner wrote:Take EoE for example. Why does the gorgeously animated and mind-blowing scene showing an apocalypse where all of humanity dissolves into oblivion while their souls are merged into a macrocosmic hive-mind need to have a third-rate Engrish lounge lizard song playing through it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's called ironic effect.

As for the English dub, it's hardly part of the anime in the first place.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:51 am

I don't like Sagisu much, but there is so much wrong with that post. For one, I don't know how the hell you think that song has any Engrish in it. If you think that's engrish, you're either a) not a native english speaker, b) an idiot, or c) someone who hasn't ever experienced Engrish. Second, there isn't really any pop music in Evangelion other than OPs and EDs which is par for the course with just about every anime ever created.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”