MP Eva Souls

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

MP Eva Souls

Postby VoidEater » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:36 pm

Are souls required for the MP Evas?

It could be a case of a soul is always necessary to activate an Eva, even an MP Eva.

Or could it be a case of the body responding to Kaworu's Dummy Plug - since Kaworu can only sync with an Eva whose resident soul is in hiding ("not present"), might a resident soul in the case of the MP Evas be unnecessary?

Have I missed something in the series that might shed light on this?

Things I have noticed: MP Evas suicide by piercing their cores (so there may be a soul in there - or they may just be coincidentally piercing their core to get to the plug; the profile of the stuck MP Eva with the moon behind at 1:12 of EoE shows that possibility).

MP Evas when dying don't display any pyrotechnics which might suggest there's a soul in them (although neither do some Angels or Eva 02 - but I don't recall seeing her core get breached specifically).

If there are souls in the MP Evas, it seems it would be best that they are "in hiding" so that commands can be directed to them via "Adam's thought patterns" in the dummy plug without interference.

edit: typo
Last edited by VoidEater on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:46 pm

Assuming Kaworu wasn't lying, the ATF directly requires a soul. Adam only has one soul, so it's not possible that the dummy plugs used in the MPEs actually contained sentient Kaworus... more likely blanks with imprinted memory, just enough to 'turn the key' as it were (which would also explain why they generally suck at fighting). Thus there must be souls in the MPEs: either willing donors from Seele's ranks or conscripted labor.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Action_Bastard » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:53 pm

NemZ wrote:conscripted labor.

That's what I am thinking. Considering each MP was made in a different country, each MP had a resident soul from a donor from said country. It could be a neat trick to where the MPs represented the whole of the world, with the human race representing the whole of humanity as the last angel. Each MP represented a different country and had a residing soul of a human from that country.

As well as, yes, as NemZ pointed out, there has to be a soul to start an eva, as it would be, and that the dummy plug system with Kaworu's thought patterns is what makes the eva move.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:57 pm

The MP Eva's run on the Dummy Plug system or they all have Kaworu or "Adam's" soul within them...How that works is being discussed within another topic. Its like the soul is a piece of cake and everyone is cutting some off and passing it around.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:26 pm

Eva-01 has Yui's soul but has a Rei dummy plug in them. Most people posit that Adam's soul was not part of the dummy plug, as Ritsuko put it, you can't copy souls. The cores themselves contain a soul separate of that of the pilot.

One hint is when the cores are broken near the end of EoE and it glows red as if the soul was leaving. But take what Ritsuko says about it being impossible to copy a soul and that the dummy plugs didn't have Rei's soul (Rei was the only one), and that Eva-01's activation with the dummy plug had a resident soul in the core (Yui), I think it's safe to assume that the Kaworu dummy plugs don't have souls, and the cores do.

Nobody knows whose they are, like NemZ says, they might have been taken against their will (just need to find suitable and kill them). As an interesting note, there was some wild speculation many years ago involving the scene that was removed in EoE where Kensuke tells Shinji that they were all heading to Germany (Toji playing basketball in a wheel chair), which lead to the possibility that the students from 2-A WERE the souls in the MPE. But, wild speculation, that's all.

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

Postby VoidEater » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Thanks all - yes, they have ATF, therefore they have soul...I hadn't heard about the deleted scene before, that is suggestive at the very least.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:03 pm

I think scene was deleted for the very reason what it seems to suggest.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:13 pm

I think it should have been left it for that very reason. Oh, the tragic irony never stops. Hell, maybe Hikari is the one who tossed that lance!
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:31 pm

It's fun to dream.

*Imagines Toji and Kensuke eating Asuka's entrails*
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:36 pm

Toji is the one she actually had a multiple-swing swordfight with, and Kensuke got the needles in his head.

The ones she was especially mean to (knee through the head, cut in half, jam my arm though you to get to someone more interesting) were the unnamed members of Shinji's fan club.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:39 pm

^
I like the way you think. :lol:

Where pray tell would Hikari fit into that scheme of things?

In seriousness though: I don't think the MPs had the souls of the 2-A classmates. Instead, I think they were just souls of random Seele employees or something. That cut scene with wheelchair Toji was probably deleted for a reason afterall.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:49 pm

Actually, Toji dying is one of the things that I believe the manga did better than the show.

And mentioned above, Hikari would be the one that just lost a leg and probably threw that headshot lance.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:50 pm

I think I had read that it wasn't included because it didn't fit with the movie.

Firstly, in episode 24, Shinji says:
Episode 24 wrote:Shinji:
Everyone, including Toji and Kensuke, lost their homes and left.
My friends... I don't have anyone I can call a friend anymore.
There's no one.

Which wouldn't make sense if they were still around doing their goodbyes with Shinji in EoE. I doubt it was because they didn't want to insinuate that class 2-A students' souls are in the MPEs.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:00 pm

When I first thought of the MP Evangelions having possible souls...

The first thing that came to mind was...<no>

Mentally Disabled Children with the Urge to Kill.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Ornette wrote:I think I had read that it wasn't included because it didn't fit with the movie.

Firstly, in episode 24, Shinji says:
Episode 24 wrote:Shinji:
Everyone, including Toji and Kensuke, lost their homes and left.
My friends... I don't have anyone I can call a friend anymore.
There's no one.

Which wouldn't make sense if they were still around doing their goodbyes with Shinji in EoE. I doubt it was because they didn't want to insinuate that class 2-A students' souls are in the MPEs.

Forgot about that :)

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:34 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:When I first thought of the MP Evangelions having possible souls...

The first thing that came to mind was...<no>

Mentally Disabled Children with the Urge to Kill.

The images you gave me..I dare not type but made many a lawl.

I still believe they are just Kaworu copies
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:53 pm

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:I still believe they are just Kaworu copies

- Ritsuko says souls can't be copied.
- Seele tells Kaworu that Adam's soul "exists solely in you".
- Unless there is actual reason to doubt either of these tidbits, we can conclude that "Kaworu (Adam) copies" is not the right answer.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Oedipusfoot » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:52 pm

Are there bodies in the Dummy Plug entry plugs?

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:16 pm

Oedipusfoot wrote:Are there bodies in the Dummy Plug entry plugs?

No. When Ritsuko destroys the tank Reis, her controller has a Rei list that starts with Rei 4. Thus, only 3 are missing from the tank: one throttled, one self-destructed, and one current. Therefore, the Dummy Plugs can't have Rei clones physically inside them, as no more Reis are missing from the tank. By inference, the same is no doubt true of the Kaworu plugs as well.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:13 pm

Good point, although that's dependent on how the clones in the tank were numbered. If Rei 1 was numberless, and Rei 2 being the first proper clone was "Rei 00", then the next number would be "Rei 01" (aka Rei 3) and the final two, "Rei 02" and "Rei 03" would be the ones in the dummy plugs for Eva-01 and Eva-02. I admit that this is rather convoluted, so it's likely that your answer- the simpler one- may be right.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”