Final Fantasy series

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:05 pm

I never got into RPGs until the "Middle School", because I hated them before that. I've played every main series FF except 3, 11 and 5 (well I played a bit of 5 but I played it for like 10 minutes before wandering off to do something else and never getting back to it). FFVI's my favorite in the series, I think. IMO...

FFVI > FFX > FFVII > FFIV > FFIX > XII > FFI > FFX2 = FFVIII > FFII
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:25 pm

FFT>FFT>FFT>FFT>FFT>FFT>FFVI>FFVII
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:50 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:FFVI > FFX > FFVII > FFIV > FFIX > XII > FFI > FFX2 = FFVIII > FFII

Goddamn, you really hated FFII, if it places below VIII(DIdnt you say you hated that game because of the drawing?)

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:59 pm

Much to my dismay, the only FFs I've played have been the oldschool era ones, but... they aren't bad at all. My favorites out of them are probably 5 and 6, though. Both of them have a... very customizable way about things, 5 with its jobs and 6 with its espers. I like 6 a little better as it has a larger, more colorful cast and plot than 5 does, but 5's not bad in itself.

4 was okay, but it just didn't have the same spark 5 or 6 did, but it was great in its own way. One was fine for waht it was back in the day, a simple RPG for a simpler time. 2 was the first with a story (thatw as okay, but not special), but the leveling and stuff is hella tedious.

You could call me a rather casual FF fan, nonetheless, I'm not obsessed.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:02 am

Executor wrote:You cannot deny that Final Fantasy really made RPG's popular on the console systems. (The revivial of PC RPGs belongs mainly to Diablo.)

I'm not saying that FF is the best series evar, I am merly stating your better RPGs probley would not exist if FF hadn't made console RPG's popular in the first place.

It's one of the two RPG series I even give fuck about, so all the ho-ha earlier was just my outcry over what's become of all that potential. FFVII was fantastic, those like me who were new to the whole deal will even argue that it's the best Final Fantasy, even the best game ever. #VIII didn't live up to it, but it's still a great game in retrospect. #IX indicated that the good times were over, and #X set it in stone. #VI is also quite good, so I'll just conclude that Square knew what they were doing between '94 and '99. I mean, Xenogears and Chrono Trigger are both pretty great too. So's Tactics, I'm told.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:10 am

Er... That is a pretty good list about Square as a whole. I do agree. Never played IX, dont want to, X was, well... mediocre just about covers it.
Oh, and Chrono Trigger AND Cross were good games. Trigger is still a favorite of mine, whereas I dont like Cross nearly as much as a sequal(Which it is), but as a stand-alone game, it is a true gem amoung the old Playstation.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:37 pm

Executor wrote:Goddamn, you really hated FFII, if it places below VIII(DIdnt you say you hated that game because of the drawing?)

As bad as the story, battle system, and aesthetic of FFVIII was, it's not as bad as FFII's level system.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:01 pm

Chrono Cross is a bit underrated, and easy to overlook, but it really gets good a bit into it.
Tactics, that one's just too hard (gamingwise) to get into.

Late nineties PSX-era was just a great time for games really.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:10 pm

Kaysow wrote:Chrono Cross is a bit underrated, and easy to overlook, but it really gets good a bit into it.
Tactics, that one's just too hard (gamingwise) to get into.

Late nineties PSX-era was just a great time for games really.

Late-nineties was a great period for gaming. 'Nuff said.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

[Video Games] Dissidia Final Fantasy

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:47 pm

One of Square-Enix's newest titles for the psp, admittedly not the defecto final fantasy game of all time. but still enjoyable for both newerplayers and fans of the older FF titles alike.

Plot is a pretty standard "be all to end all" Good vs. Evil with Cosmos (the goddess of Harmony) summoning the main heroes of every FF (up to FFX) to combat Chaos (God of Dischord) who summoned the Hero's villain counter parts in an attempt to overthrow the balance of good & evil, although as story progress not all the villains are of one mind.

Story chapters are split up into 10 chapters total (with a prologue chapter as a tutorial) following each hero a they quest to obtain a Crystal (each crystal specific to every hero's ff world) in order to help Cosmos restore harmony to the worlds, soon after you've cleared the 10 chapters the final chapter (Shade Impulse) appears for you to go through and have a final battle with each villain leading up to your confrontation with Chaos, unlike the other chapters you have the choice of the Hero to clear it with. More modes are available after clearing Shade Impulse, the Distant Glory (both a Hero and Villains version) episodes must be cleared in order to make the bonus characters available for purchase, with Inward Chaos making you face the toughest battles the games story mode has to offer, Coliseum mode lets you fight one fight after another (letting you able to stop at anytime) in an endless string of battles at four different level settings so you might choose to do fights with characters with lvls 1-30, 31-60, 61-90, and finally 91-130*.

*note your characters max level is 100, A.I.s are apparently exempt from this rule, strange no?

Gameplay is solid enough, Battles in real time set for Advent Children style battles, with damageable terrain on 12 different maps (24 with the 2nd version of each stage), each character having they're own style of gameplay with customizable move sets, armor, weapons, and summons. first time through your limited to the selection of the ten hero's, later having to buy the ten villains from the games shop, plus the addition of a character from FFXI and FFXII, as well as purchasing Chaos to battle in freeplay mode.

Mutiplayer is of course limited to one on one battles between 2 players,
and that's if your lucky enough to know someone who also owns a copy, Online matches can be available if your PS3 has AdHoc (available from the Jpn PSN if you make a fake account)

The Games difficulty rating can range from laughably easy to you wanting to throw your PSP at a wall out of sheer frustration, as A.I.s, if your not careful will be able to dodge, guard, and counter attack your every move at higher lvls (with the possible exception of Exdeath as his A.I. is one of the dumbest I've seen)

Music score is great with each FF having 2 remixed
tracks and a third track (ripped straight from the original game) that is purchasable later on, for use in battle, as well as the game's own original music.

Cast of course is as said before, the Ten main heroes and main villains of every FF up to FFX (with bonus characters from XI and XII), fans of the older titles will no doubt enjoy being able to use classic favorites like Garland, Cecil, and Cefca to put the smack down on Sephiroth like the whiny momma's boy he is.

Voice casting is stellar with each voice fiting a character's appearance.
    Hero-------------Original game------Japanese Voice actor
    Warrior of Light------Final Fantasy--------Toshihiko Seki
    Firion------------------Final Fantasy II------Hikaru Midorikawa
    Onion Knight---------Final Fantasy III-----Jun Fukuyama
    Cecil Harvey---------Final Fantasy IV------Shizuma Hodoshima
    Bartz Klauser--------Final Fantasy V-------Sōichirō Hoshi
    Tina Branford-------Final Fantasy VI-------Yukari Fukui
    Cloud Strife----------Final Fantasy VII------Takahiro Sakurai
    Squall Leonhart------Final Fantasy VIII-----Hideo Ishikawa
    Zidane Tribal--------Final Fantasy IX-------Romi Paku
    Tidus-----------------Final Fantasy X--------Masakazu Morita
    Shantotto------------Final Fantasy XI-------Megumi Hayashibara
    Cosmos--------------Dissidia----------------Sumi Shimamoto

Villain----------Original game-----------Japanese Voice actor
    Garland-------------Final Fantasy------------Kenji Utsumi
    Emperor------------Final Fantasy II---------Kenyuu Horiuchi
    Cloud of Darkness-Final Fantasy III--------Masako Ikeda
    Golbez--------------Final Fantasy IV---------Takeshi Kaga
    Exdeath-------------Final Fantasy V---------Tarō Ishida
    Cefka Palazzo------Final Fantasy VI--------Shigeru Chiba
    Sephiroth-----------Final Fantasy VII-------Toshiyuki Morikawa
    Ultimecia------------Final Fantasy VIII------Atsuko Tanaka
    Kuja-----------------Final Fantasy IX--------Akira Ishida
    Jecht-----------------Final Fantasy X--------Masuo Amada
    Gabranth------------Final Fantasy XII------Akio Ohtsuka
    Chaos---------------Dissidia-----------------Norio Wakamoto

Narrator
    Cid of the Lufaine--Final Fantasy------------ Bunta Sugawara

game has its share of flaws with a difficult camera in tight areas, and a few others i can't name off the top of my head.

I find that this game is definitely worth an import if you didn't want to wait for its English release, which is give or take depending on whether or not you want Japanese or English voices as translations guides are readily available for owners of an import.

I'm not gonna lie, I find that over half of this cast sucks. I will gladly admit however that Keith David as Chaos is pretty damn good.

Hero-------------Original game------English Voice actor
    Warrior of Light------Final Fantasy--------Grant George
    Firion------------------Final Fantasy II------Johnny Yong Bosch
    Onion Knight---------Final Fantasy III-----Aaron Spann
    Cecil Harvey---------Final Fantasy IV------Yuri Lowenthal
    Bartz Klauser--------Final Fantasy V-------Jason Spisak
    Terra Branford-------Final Fantasy VI-------Natalie Lander
    Cloud Strife----------Final Fantasy VII------Steve Burton
    Squall Leonhart------Final Fantasy VIII-----Doug Erholtz
    Zidane Tribal--------Final Fantasy IX-------Bryce Papenbrook
    Tidus-----------------Final Fantasy X--------James Arnold Taylor
    Shantotto------------Final Fantasy XI-------Candi Milo
    Cosmos--------------Dissidia----------------Kathleen McInerney

Villain----------Original game-----------English Voice actor
    Garland-------------Final Fantasy------------Christopher Sabat
    Emperor------------Final Fantasy II---------Christopher Corey Smith
    Cloud of Darkness-Final Fantasy III--------Laura Bailey
    Golbez--------------Final Fantasy IV---------Peter Beckman
    Exdeath-------------Final Fantasy V---------Gerald C. Rivers
    Kefka Palazzo------Final Fantasy VI--------Dave Wittenberg
    Sephiroth-----------Final Fantasy VII-------George Newbern
    Ultimecia------------Final Fantasy VIII------Tasia Valenza
    Kuja-----------------Final Fantasy IX--------JD Cullum
    Jecht-----------------Final Fantasy X--------Gregg Berger
    Gabranth------------Final Fantasy XII------Keith Ferguson
    Chaos---------------Dissidia-----------------Keith David

Narrator
    Cid of the Lufaine--Final Fantasy------------TBA

Was pretty obvious all the English Voices for the more resent FF's would be reprising their roles.

Thread is open for discussion... Again.
Last edited by Kaminoyouni on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:02 pm

I am a huge FF fan, so I will be getting this soooo much. I shall buy four copies; I'm going to eat one, display one, play one, and use the other as some form of throw-pillow.

And I will proceed to use the hell out of Cloud. I enjoy the semi-slower characters in fighting games who deal excessive damage, ie. Siegfried from the Soul Calibur series.

I'm also intruigued by Bartz and Exdeath; I'll have to see how they play out.

Definitely looking forward to this in any case.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:34 pm

Jecht and his finger of doom ffffffffffff
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:51 pm

How's Kefka in this? Hmmmmm? :mwahaha:
8luh 8luh

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:11 pm

Omegagouki wrote:How's Kefka in this? Hmmmmm? :mwahaha:

Kefka gameplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDALvpZLMmo

Annihilationscape wrote:I'm also intruigued by Bartz and Exdeath; I'll have to see how they play out.

Butz gameplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVmN7V43T3k

Exdeath gameplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkjuthUukcU

The Bastard King wrote:Jecht and his finger of doom ffffffffffff

Jecht gameplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZgP2eHKyqw
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"

Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Avatar of Dreams » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:35 pm

I know Shantotto and Judge Gabranth are secret characters and all but I still feel like they should have added a villain from XI and a hero from XII to balance these two.
Guess I can't complain too much though, as Shantotto is voiced by none other than everyone's favorite blue haired introvert's seiyu. ^_^

Hellfire
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hellfire » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Annihilationscape wrote:I am a huge FF fan, so I will be getting this soooo much. I shall buy four copies; I'm going to eat one, display one, play one, and use the other as some form of throw-pillow.
I would say you should give one of those to me, but I don't own a PSP. It being on the PSP instead of a home console didn't make much sense to me at first-as per it's a fighting game-but upon seeing the game play, it makes more sense.

Heh. Kefla looks and sounds like a total goof in that video. Hopefully they didn't take it too far in that direction; he still needs his scary psycho moments, after all.
Jecht wrote:I'm the best!

I'm kinda surprised to see that they picked Jecht as the bad guy from FFX-I would've thought they'd pick Seymour. Jecht really didn't seem like a true bad guy to me. He seemed more like a victim of circumstance than anything. However, I could see where they could do some interesting stuff with him and Tidus.

I wish Locke were in this. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom
...a second chance is all you have left...
...remember why you cling to this gift...
-BS2

Me: I can see it, I can taste it, I can smell it!
Annihilationscape: Sounds like a whore to me!

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:43 pm

Marvellous, is all I can say. This and the Star Ocean remakes are the only reasons I'm getting a PSP someday... well, and maybe the Eva games.
8luh 8luh

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:17 am

Crap I just sold my PSP and the game it self sounds awesome. Maybe I will buy another PSP once it has another price drop.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:29 pm

Hellfire wrote:Heh. Kefla looks and sounds like a total goof in that video. Hopefully they didn't take it too far in that direction; he still needs his scary psycho moments, after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bgq36lWMLw

Hellfire wrote:
Jecht wrote:I'm the best!

I'm kinda surprised to see that they picked Jecht as the bad guy from FFX-I would've thought they'd pick Seymour. Jecht really didn't seem like a true bad guy to me. He seemed more like a victim of circumstance than anything. However, I could see where they could do some interesting stuff with him and Tidus.

SquareEnix wrote:Jecht was chosen instead of Seymour to be the villain representing Final Fantasy X because Seymour has little in-game interaction with Tidus, whereas Jecht, as Tidus' father, would prove much more suitable
Proud Member of F.A.P.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Final Fantasy 8 is better than Final Fantasy 7.

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:39 am

Discuss.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”