Asuka in episode 9

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

V
Banned

Asuka in episode 9

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:34 pm

In the opening of episode 9 a boy says "since Asuka was raised over there but born here"

is this boy simply wrong? Was Asuka physically born in Japan, or Germany? Oh even if she was born physically in Japan, she'd have moved to Germany when she was too young to remember anything. So it makes no practical difference except for stupid immigration and citizenship laws.

But I thought it established that Asuka is "from" Germany
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Hazukari
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hazukari » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:37 pm

...my only guess is that it was an oppsie or typo in the script and thats how they said it
"We are like petals that fall from a blossom tree, we are destined to fall to the ground, yet the wind carries us like fate"

Reichu
Death True True
Death True True

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:30 pm

The dialogue is 「帰国子女だろ? やっぱススンでんのかな?」. 帰国子女 refers to a child returning to his or her country from overseas, so that part is pretty unambiguous. I'm not good enough to offer an independent interpretation of the whole thing, but ADV and LTP's translations line up here.

Asuka being physically born in Japan doesn't actually disagree with anything, that I'm aware.
What if... Kaworu bonded with Misato instead of Shinji, and the two of them were siblings?
Father Brother Lover Mother (AO3, FF.net)
The path to an alternate Third Impact has reached stage 19 (5/22)!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:55 pm

Probably just a further hint of Asuka's charlie-dog status.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”