Rei-Kaworu off-screen discussion in 24'?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
V
Banned

Rei-Kaworu off-screen discussion in 24'?

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:51 pm

Here's a thought: the ONE Rei-Kaworu scene ends with Rei saying to Kaworu: "....identify yourself"

now here's something: did their conversation continue after this? the "camera" just cuts away to another scene. Is it supposed to be implied that they said more than that?

***how did manga volume 11 handle this? I don't have a translation handy but it too just sort of fades to black.

Or are we overthinking this?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Re: Rei-Kaworu off-screen discussion in 24'?

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:04 pm

V wrote:Here's a thought: the ONE Rei-Kaworu scene ends with Rei saying to Kaworu: "....identify yourself"

Wretched accursed English Dub alert!

:siren: :siren: :siren:

Rei only ever says "Anata Dare?" or "Who are you?" in the original.

If Kaworu said something after that, it's nothing of importance. His key words were in 24' - that both of them had taken Lilin form while living on the planet. Those words clued Rei in to her real identity.

And in the Manga, Rei and Kaworu recognize each other, Rei saying "We are not the same" although both of them are made of the same matter (Particle-Wave Matter).
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:26 pm

Kaworu simply "bumps" into Rei to see if they were made of the same thing.

Could you continue on this "Particle-Wave Matter" you spoke of please..Me and a friend have often wondered just what Kaworu/Rei are composed of. Does they're skin feel the same or would it be more marshmellow-esk since they can grow and what does Lilith feel like...Hmm...Sorry off topic.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:31 pm

I'm pretty sure that Rei and Kaworu are made of normal matter. It's just their souls that aren't human.
If I'm pissing you off, just remember: it was Magami No ER who told me about this place, so blame him/her.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:32 pm

http://evageeks.org/FGP/Particle-wave_matter
There you go. Normal matter? No.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:41 pm

And what evidence is there to suggest that Rei and Kaworu are made of PWM (before Rei merges with Lilith)?
If I'm pissing you off, just remember: it was Magami No ER who told me about this place, so blame him/her.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:11 pm

http://evageeks.org/FGP/Rei_Ayanami_(In-Depth)#Episodes_1_to_8

That spectrum scan, for one. Rei's ability to seemingly pop out of nothing in 24', for another.

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:29 pm

Well that is my mind fukary of the night on behalf of UrsusArctors. If you were to go up and touch 01's skin, would it feel like skin or something else or say Satchels skin?
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:55 am

UrsusArctos wrote:http://evageeks.org/FGP/Rei_Ayanami_(In-Depth)#Episodes_1_to_8

That spectrum scan, for one.

I see absolutely nothing in the scan that is even remotely indicative of PWM. The rest of the presented "evidence" is equally weak and irrelevant.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:55 am

Count A'ight wrote:I see absolutely nothing in the scan that is even remotely indicative of PWM.

Pretty rainbow colors.

And Kaworu was 'born of Adam', so that case is pretty straightforward.

Let's get this back on topic, please. There are "what type of matter was ~ made of?" topics you can bump if you really want to talk about that.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:36 am

UrsusArctos wrote:http://evageeks.org/FGP/Particle-wave_matter
There you go. Normal matter? No.

the "are Rei and Kaworu made of Particle-wave matter" debate is separate from this one and you should move to the threads discussing it if you want, Ursus.

However, no, you never persuaded me that Kaworu or Rei are made of the same material as the Angels.

Let's get this back on topic, please. There are "what type of matter was ~ made of?" topics you can bump if you really want to talk about that.

Verily.

But can someone give a transcript of the final page of the Kaworu-Rei meeting in the manga? does it imply that more is said "off screen"? or are we to "assume that Kaworu just walks away"?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:22 pm

Here; this old thread of V's is already titled as the perfect battleground. (Though other threads, both local and archived, have covered the same topic in varying levels of mind-warping detail.)

V wrote:But can someone give a transcript of the final page of the Kaworu-Rei meeting in the manga?

Kaworu's around a lot longer, so... The equivalent of the "Who are you?" meet-up is right after Arael goes down, and another, similar meeting occurs later with Rei 3.

Stage 62 wrote:Scene: Nerv HQ hospital, 1st Cranial Nerve ward
(Rei stands in the corridor outside the door, unnoticed by Shinji. She starts to walk away, but is stopped by a voice from behind.)
Kaworu: Hey, you. Have you seen Shinji?
(Rei turns slightly surprised to see Kaworu)
Kaworu: Oh? Might you be the First Children? I saw you throw the Lance. I thought you'd be a tougher looking girl.
Rei: ..... Who are you?
Kaworu: Nagisa Kaworu. The Fifth Children.
(Rei and Kaworu stare silently at each other)
Kaworu: You are the same as me.
Rei (narrowing eyes ever so slightly): No. (Kaworu is drawn up short) We are not the same. You and I may closely resemble each other, but we are not the same.
(Kaworu returns Rei's stare)

Stage 71 wrote:Scene: A corridor in Nerv HQ pyramid -- Rei and Kaworu walk towards each other and pass without speaking, but Kaworu reaches back to grab Rei’s wrist and lift it up, stopping her.
Rei: What?
(Kaworu looks at her for a moment, and then releases her wrist)
Kaworu: Nothing. Sorry.
(Rei looks at him, touching her wrist where he held it)
Rei: You have the same feel as me. Why?
Kaworu (smiles slightly): To be sure, the matter comprising us is the same. And our forms have also arrived at that of the child of man in order to live on this world. But our difference lies in whom we have met, and how we have lived thus far. (closes eyes) “You and I may resemble each other, but we are not the same.” (opens eyes and smiles at Rei) That’s what you said to me before. Don’t you remember?

The manga isn't particularly useful/relevant here for another reason: Rei and Kaworu were technically linked together by Armisael for a short while. (Though Kaworu was mostly present at the battle to promote the Eva 2 video game.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”