Take away Carbon and you turn to Tang?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Take away Carbon and you turn to Tang?

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:40 pm

This discussion took place in my Science class a few years ago where my teacher -being srs about this- Was talking about a second Impact but not related to Eva I don't believe so me and another Eva fan started bring Eva into it ant this is what followed...

I asked her if you took something from the body could it revert back to some from of liquid and she answered yes and that if you remove the Carbon from the body it reverts to a liquid like the soup more or less.

Kinda dumb but I thought I would share it with you..
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm

Carbon is everywhere in the human body. If you take away carbon, there's gonna be nothing at all left!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:59 pm

I think your teacher is full of shit. Carbon atoms can't simply be taken away from organic molecules. They form the rings, chains, and are the element which form the covalent bonds that hold together any number of other elements (see here for some examples). How you take them away determines what you're left with, as they'll recombine into any number of things of any number of states of matter.

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:03 pm

I'm saying IF you could take it away then you would but as stated above it makes up most of the body so I guess there would be nothing left. It was years ago but I thought I would post it none the less. Would be interesting to see it happen thought huh?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:08 pm

There are ways of taking away the carbon. Creamate the body. you now have a pile of carbon. Of course, everything else gets turned into gasses.

My point was you're going to get left with any number of things (including some liquids, gasses, and solids) depending on how you take away all the carbon from organic molecules.

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:19 pm

Has this ever been attempted on something such as an animal?

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:38 pm

Attempted? It's been done on human beings for centuries.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:40 pm

Doesn't the body contain trace amounts of practically every naturally occurring element?

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:31 am

i think someone needs to pay more attention in science class. :hahaha:
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:56 am

My friend this was super easy science. I got stuck with this hick that could not spell Science, he asked the teacher how to and I just died a little inside.

I was in that class for a while before I moved up to the higher Science classes cause I got sick of the hicks...Anyway on Topic.

I did not mean the incineration part, I mean the attempt at taking Carbon just from the body to see what happens...Or something, I don't know. I'm just tossing around ideas.

Count A'ight
Banned

Postby Count A'ight » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:43 am

There is currently no way to make all of the carbon in the body magically disappear.
If I'm pissing you off, just remember: it was Magami No ER who told me about this place, so blame him/her.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:19 am

I guess if you did take away all the carbon, you'd mostly just have H2O left, and then, yeah, you would be liquid --- water. Then all you'd need is someone to sprinkle in some of that Tang powder.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Count A'ight
Banned

Postby Count A'ight » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:48 am

But it would be very fizzy water from all of the nitrous oxide, ammonia, hydrogen, and whatever other gases would form.
If I'm pissing you off, just remember: it was Magami No ER who told me about this place, so blame him/her.

V
Banned

Postby V » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:39 am

your teacher was being an idiot.

The idea is that your molecules separate into a soup of basic amino acids and sugars, etc.

For example, your "DNA" would break down into just amino acids, lipids, etc.
The "building blocks of life"

She didn't understand the question.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:09 pm

I'm guessing she did not understand the question seeing as we were some what messing with her. Now lets say that every bodies Carbon did leave their bodies and thus you do have that fizzy H2O left but you have a whole planet of it.

What would happen, does one persons fizzy water mix with another?

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:31 pm

Just pray it doesnt happen when you're on the toilet.. :P
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:50 pm

What no-one has stated clearly enough is that, to remove, specifically, carbon atoms from the body would require breaking the bonds of about 40% or more of the molecules in the body, which, would, yes, turn you into something unrecognizable.

Of course, you could say the same thing about hydrogen or oxygen atoms.

But, hey, don't lose that curiosity, it'll serve you well in the future.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:01 pm

Otakon, if you intended for this to be relevant to Eva, why did you ask "if you [take] something from the body, can it revert back to some form of liquid?". In the show, nothing is physically TAKEN; afterwards, you're left with everything that you started with.

The question is really why the loss of the ATF causes the body to lose its structural integrity and explode into a chemical soup, or why the ATF is apparently necessary for maintaining advanced organic molecules in the first place (which opens up a whole can of worms with regard to disembodied tissues, but let's ignore that here).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Synapsid » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:01 pm

drinian wrote:
Of course, you could say the same thing about hydrogen or oxygen atoms..
I would have thought that the extraction of Carbon is more significant due to its hub role, while oxygen and hydrogen are often located peripherally and often exchanged in molecular bonds, and as such can be removed via dehydration reactions?
Reichu wrote:
The question is really why the loss of the ATF causes the body to lose its structural integrity and explode into a chemical soup, or why the ATF is apparently necessary for maintaining advanced organic molecules in the first place (which opens up a whole can of worms with regard to disembodied tissues, but let's ignore that here).

I was under the impression that the AT field serves a role analogous to the Strong Force: allowing for Intermolecular forces to function and thereby allowing for the existence of complex molecules.

If the ATF that allows for intermolecular interactions, would suddenly disappear life would break down in the cellular level wouldn't it? After all if the Hydrogen bonds that hold our lipoprotein structures together no longer exist they would come apart at the seams, and leave a mess of denatured compounds as protoplasm. :think:
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:04 pm

Synapsid wrote: I was under the impression that the AT field serves a role analogous to the Strong Force: allowing for Intermolecular forces to function and thereby allowing for the existence of complex molecules.

Are you implying that things like plants, rocks, and bacteria have souls?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”