Go Hikari!

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

millinniummany3 [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby millinniummany3 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:55 pm

Wait, wasn't Yui's master plan to prevent SEELE from taking on the mantle of Gods?

Originally posted on: 25-Jan-2006, 08:35 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:55 pm

No, Yui's the one who wanted to be god, Keel said that "creating a supreme being is unacceptable" another member of SEELE said that "no one should weild such power" and being the fan of John Locke that I am I whole heartedly agree with SEELE on this issue.

Originally posted on: 25-Jan-2006, 08:38 GMT

millinniummany3 [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby millinniummany3 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:56 pm

Uh, now I am confused. I've always been told that SEELE\evil and Yui plots to stop their plans.

Originally posted on: 25-Jan-2006, 08:40 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:56 pm

No one's really evil, but Yui's wasn't all that great herself, she planned on 3I every bit as much as Keel & co, and Gendo. Her version just left her to go off and supposedly start life somewhere else as a god. Yui wanted to stop SEELE's plan only so she could fulfill her own wishes. Poor Shinji, great parents don't ya think?

Originally posted on: 25-Jan-2006, 08:42 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:56 pm

Seele08 wrote:another member of SEELE said that "no one should weild such power".

I read that sort of statement as containing a silent "else", given who was speaking.

That's why creating a Friendly AI to be SysOp is essential.

@Topic
No Hikari, but more girl-Shinji. That does seem to be a persistent meme.

Originally posted on: 25-Jan-2006, 08:47 GMT

millinniummany3 [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

I think, if I wouldn't want to already, I'd definetly want to be on Yui's good side. But y'know, SEELE and Gendou seem decidedly more...cutthroat than Yui.

I'm probably inviting discussion on how Yui allowed Asuka and Eva 02 to be slaughtered and other tasty morsels with this.

Originally posted on: 25-Jan-2006, 08:47 GMT

K2Grey [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby K2Grey [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:56 pm

Third Impact was inevitable, so someone's gotta take control. In the absence of that, you can either let GNR pass the ball to other people, or let the Angels blow everyone away.

Originally posted on: 25-Jan-2006, 08:48 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:56 pm

Seele08 wrote:Since I detest Yui, and just about anyone who thinks they're good enough to be god, the ultimate arrogance I can't really say I prefer her in any form.

It's hardly arrogance, since it implies sacrificing everything and suffering in complete solitude for what stands to be billions upon billions of years to satisfy an obligation to humanity as a whole (which far transcends our own species). In a very real sense, she is the hero of NGE, without whom everything would have ended in complete ruin. She is also used by Anno, along with the other two SoLs, to impart to the audience his ultimate message about life and how to find happiness. Although, of course, Shinji and Asuka are used to show how the harsh reality of life makes it difficult to attain that happiness in the final scene.

Detesting Yui is simply missing the entire point of her character and how absolutely CRITICAL she is to the story, in my humble opinion. Siding with Seele, the antagonists of the story, is probably missing the point, too. They are the ones who have abandoned all hope and simply want to destroy everyone, including themselves, to return to the pure and original state that is virtually equivalent to death itself. NGE is trying to tell the audience to LIVE and find happiness, not to give up and seek death. That's not to say that you can't be a fan -- of course you can -- only that I think you should recognize the roles that these characters are satisfying in the story. (Note disclaimers.)

mm3, read my huge-arse threads if you care about how Yui fits into things. The Rei/Kaworu one and the Yui/Kyoko one are especially relevant, although they will probably eat up a couple of hours and will hurt your brain a lot. Keep the serious conversation there, please, and most of this has been AMPLY covered already besides. This is an image/spam thread.

Originally posted on: 25-Jan-2006, 08:48 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

millinniummany3 wrote:I'm probably inviting discussion on how Yui allowed Asuka and Eva 02 to be slaughtered.

Covered somewhere in here, if memory serves.

@Topic
Gratuitous Asuka

Originally posted on: 25-Jan-2006, 08:50 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

I just don't like Yui and never will, trying to attain godhood in my mind is the ultimate immorality (as I beleive that weilding absolute power over even one person without any form of consent is immoral, and determing the fate of entire race by your lonesome makes it that much worse, at least SEELE wasn't one person whistling in the dark), besides if she's going to start life somewhere else she ain't gonna be lonely. SEELE just wanted to end pain/suffering/loneliness and thanks to Gendo's brilliant HCP they latched onto a very baaaaad idea. Originaly they just wanted to stop the angels, and evolve humanity Yui said it herself.

Originally posted on: 25-Jan-2006, 08:54 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:56 pm

^ I disagree with the above (and I think the show does, too, in places), but this really isn't the place for it.

Originally posted on: 25-Jan-2006, 08:57 GMT

AsukaxSohryux [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaxSohryux [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:56 pm

Reichu wrote:^ I disagree with the above (and I think the show does, too, in places), but this really isn't the place for it.

I to agree with Reichu.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2006, 21:05 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

@Seele08
Please start a separate thread on this - I think people will join in.

Meanwhile, back to our scheduled program

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2006, 21:08 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

SEELE just appeals to me for two reason, first they have a cyborg, and cyborgs are teh 1337, second of all its based partly on my own personal philosophy on religion and my belief that the idea of the power of god is immoral. That is probably born out of years spent in my parent's fundamental baptist church and all the crap I experienced there (lets just say an logical aspie in a church full of religious nuts doesn't mix well), and my love of the writings of Locke.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2006, 21:11 GMT

millinniummany3 [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Just to throw things off track, I don't think these two Hikari pics have been posted yet.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2006, 21:14 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:57 pm

The first one is to be found in the first score or so of pages; the second one is new (but a bit wide - I tend to link stuff wider than the 600px of the image in post#1).

And another new colour for her plugsuit.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2006, 21:20 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:57 pm

What colors do we have so far? Yellow, orange, green, purplish-pink...any others?

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2006, 22:17 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:57 pm

Treize X wrote:What colors do we have so far? Yellow, orange, green, purplish-pink...any others?

Well, there's this

Image (repost)

but it looks like she grabbed the first thing out of the wardrobe and forgot whose bedroom it was Image

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2006, 22:25 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:57 pm

Yeah. Must have stayed the night. Speaking of staying the night, Asuka did stay the night at Hikari's, too.... Image

Aaaaaaaaanyways, moving away from those thoughts, I shall have more harpy items soon. Just have to scout out some artists.

Originally posted on: 25-Jan-2006, 00:40 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:57 pm

Are you going to have a harpy statue commisioned or something? Thousands of years from now some future civilization will dig up the Harpy Works commisioned by Treize X:The Ryousanki King. They will be placed in muesems that house "ancient modern art". Museum goers will marvel at them and say. What the heck is it?

Looky EVA-00 as a baby
http://www.thefetus.net/page.php?id=114
don't click if you are squeamish. That tube over its eye, is its nose, yes the nostrils are above the eye just like its "supposed" to be.

Originally posted on: 25-Jan-2006, 03:22 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”