Go Hikari!

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:52 pm

Reichu wrote:The idea of Naoko getting it on with Old Frenchie is an even more horrible thought than her riding Gendo. (Which she probably did at least 75% of the time, if my calculations are correct.)

Also, a man's appearance is no reliable sign of his sexuality. For example, hard-core transvestites can still love their wimmins, and totally beautiful men can still be, well, "MEN!!!". (Whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.) Sexuality is damned more flexible than it is often given credit for being. Shades of grey, baby. Shades of grey.

Akira "Agreed. I found that out the hard way. I'm sorry, Sayaka. Misato-chan..."

But than again this is anime, and I said he could be a transvestite before, and he could still be Ritsuko's daddy. But if appearance doesn't mean anything than what about the Akira-Kaworu connection? Or the Kaji/Kaworu connection, those are based largely on appearance (though the former does have a little more than appearnce to it). I kind of find the idea humorous myself. Appearance may be nothing but we all know how romantic the French language can be...

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2006, 21:03 GMT

K2Grey [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby K2Grey [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:52 pm

Reichu, your craftmanship is incredible (esp. with the Shinji/Rei GIF) Image

The Mr. Tines NERV logo (I assume that's weed?) picture is also nice Image

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2006, 21:03 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Seele08 wrote:But than again this is anime, and I said he could be a transvestite before, and he could still be Ritsuko's daddy. But if appearance doesn't mean anything than what about the Akira-Kaworu connection? Or the Kaji/Kaworu connection, those are based largely on appearance (though the former does have a little more than appearnce to it). I kind of find the idea humorous myself. Appearance may be nothing but we all know how romantic the French language can be...

The resemblane is striking. However, are the SEELE committee even in Japan? I thought they were all in their own countries, hence the holographs.

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2006, 21:05 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Nope. Sayaka was the name of my Japanese teacher at college. (Kawabata Sayaka.) I really like the name -- a refreshing change from those -ko names you usually hear -- so when Magami and I were brainstorming, waaaaay back, it was the first thing to come to mind. I think it sounds really nice. "Katsuragi Sayaka".

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2006, 21:05 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Who said they can't have a long-distance relationship, I mean the Frenchie and Naoko probably both traveled on business, after all Naoko built the original MAGI and every Nerv base had one, and there was a NERV base in France if my memory is correct. Besides Ritsuko's daddy was and absent father.

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2006, 21:07 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Soluzar wrote:However, are the SEELE committee even in Japan? I thought they were all in their own countries, hence the holographs.

The Seele guys weren't always hanging out in their respective countries. Keel was hanging out in Japan and Antarctica at various points, and we have that photo where he's with Nigel and Pierre. They Seele Guys presumably have gathered at their mysterious Dead Sea base (being the religious zealots that they are) in lieu with the decryption of the SDSS, as well. They've clearly partied together a lot, in any case. Probably done a lot of strange religious crap with their anonymous buddies, too.

Seele08 wrote:But if appearance doesn't mean anything than what about the Akira-Kaworu connection? Or the Kaji/Kaworu connection, those are based largely on appearance (though the former does have a little more than appearnce to it).

Yeah, the appearance thing is only part of a much larger picture thar...

K2Grey wrote:Reichu, your craftmanship is incredible (esp. with the Shinji/Rei GIF)

Thank ye. But, incidentally, that's the one that took the bare minimum of creativity, even though the end result is more "impressive". (Take screenshots. Run screenshots through custom optimization filter. Dump into ImageReady. Resize, sharpen. Put in order. Get the timing okay. Voila.) Doctoring and captioning images, and doing animated GIFs where I really go nutty manipulating the frames (like the "Kernficken" harpy), are where the REAL satisfaction is derived, and the mark of teh Reichu can truly be left... Image Although making funny GIFs is fun no matter what.

And the two EVA-00 pics were labors of love. However demented. You can't doctor those faces -- you actually have to draw them. (DRAW? On the computer? NOOOOooooOOO!)

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2006, 21:16 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Seele08 wrote:Who said they can't have a long-distance relationship, I mean the Frenchie and Naoko probably both traveled on business, after all Naoko built the original MAGI and every Nerv base had one, and there was a NERV base in France if my memory is correct. Besides Ritsuko's daddy was and absent father.

Long distance relationships? Rarely work out. Ask around. Image

Sayaka was the name of my Japanese teacher at college.

It's also the name of the pilot of Aphrodite-A, one of the two sidekicks of the Mazinger-Z pilot Kouji Kabuto.

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2006, 21:21 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Long distance relationships? Rarely work out. Ask around.

Obviously it didn't work out, thus whoever Ritusko's daddy was he wasn't around for her as a child or adult. I don't think Naoko was the greatest relationship builder in the whole wide world, and her daughter definetly wasn't much better. If it wasn't the Frenchie maybe it was....

Just kidding, not even Naoko is that[/u] desperate for affection. Poor Vlad is so ugly his mother probably didn't love him, I mean you spend nine months with a "bun in the oven" and Vlad is what you get for all your time and effort? Maybe he's the result of some bizzarre Soviet expiramentation involving radiation and babies or something. Might explain why he's only about four feet ten inches tall.

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2006, 21:27 GMT

gamemaster5552 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gamemaster5552 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Yeah I think we can all agree that Hikari would have made a good piolet.

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2006, 21:42 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Seele08, you need more than the five main Seele guys to play around with. How about fanonizing the dudes behind the other monoliths, and the religious cult expands! (I forget which numbers Vlad, Teddy, Pierre, and Nigel are. Don't know if the dub gets it right, either. Will have to check sometime.) That means making Sadamoto-esque designs, pulling out the ship names, blah blah blah.... You'd have at least one Japanese one and one Chinese one. Dunno if any other countries actually matter in that world.

Actually, Hikari doesn't seem like the "pilot" type for me. Making this giant person containing the soul of her mom run around, butchering innocent Angels? Shinji does it because... yeah. Asuka does it because... yeah. Rei does it because... yeah. Toji did it for his sister. Why the hell would Hikari do it?

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2006, 21:55 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Reichu wrote:Why the hell would Hikari do it?

“Because I was asked, and because I can.” — appeal to her Class Rep sense of responsibility, and you probably have enough leverage there.

Of course there's always the shoujo-ai fantasy reasoning — “So Asuka will notice me.”

EDIT - Hey - my l33t'th post!

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2006, 22:05 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Hikari does it for Pen-Pen. She fights to save mankind for the sake of a penguin! That or she does it so she can get a good look at Toji in the pilot changing rooms. Either way it works.

In the manga the numbers are different than the anime/movie (which jump around).
The Brit is 04, the Frenchie is 06, the American is 09, and the Commie is 11.

Dunno if any other countries actually matter in that world.

Oh Canada!

didn't work as well as I had hoped but still...

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2006, 22:25 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

My crackpot commitee theories just keep coming!
Was again looking at the commitee, and found another possible donor for Kaworu's genes. Image And he's not necesarily dead either...

Behold Commitee man D, Nigel the Briton!

Look at the long jaw, the wide mouth, the rather feminine eyes, and a decent haircut that many of the men of EVA lack, especially the commitee! Seriously how can the most powerful men in the world and woman (Yui) Have such bad hair cuts? The Ruskie's is extremely ragged and long, Yui's is ragged and randomly cut, Keel's hair looks like he clipped it with his visor turned off, and the Frenchie has a woman's haircut. I dub this the Donald Trump effect, lots of money, bad hair.

Originally posted on: 23-Jan-2006, 23:43 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Seele08 wrote:My crackpot commitee theories just keep coming!
Was again looking at the commitee, and found another possible donor for Kaworu's genes. Image And he's not necesarily dead either...

Behold Commitee man D, Nigel the Britain!

I think you mean "Briton", and since I am one, I feel obliged to nitpick.

Look at the long jaw, the wide mouth, the rather feminine eyes many of the men of EVA lack, especially the commitee! Seriously how can the most powerful men in the world and woman (Yui) Have such bad hair cuts? The Ruskie's is extremely ragged and long, Yui's is ragged and randomly cut, Keel's hair looks like he clipped it with his visor turned off, and the Frenchie has a woman's haircut. I dub this the Donald Trump effect, lots of money, bad hair.

Hey, I like Yui's hair! Image

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2006, 00:30 GMT

drgenestarwind [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby drgenestarwind [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:53 pm

ok, talking about Seele, notice that in most of the Seele room scenes there are twelve monoliths, when we see people as in Ep.2 there are six people, Gendo, Keel, and four members. but when we see Kaworu standing above the lake, there are sixteen monoliths. just how many members are there, where are they from, and who are they.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2006, 04:03 GMT

Ornette [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:53 pm

drgenestarwind wrote:ok, talking about Seele, notice that in most of the Seele room scenes there are twelve monoliths, when we see people as in Ep.2 there are six people, Gendo, Keel, and four members. but when we see Kaworu standing above the lake, there are sixteen monoliths. just how many members are there, where are they from, and who are they.

I think those 6 people (Note that Gendo was one of the 6) were refered to as "The Committee" (UN related?), when we actually see the monoliths, it's Seele (I vaguely remember a distinction being made where whoever that said it, Fuyutski I think, corrected himself, something along the lines of: "blah blah the committee, oh, it's Seele this time"). The 15 monoliths during ep24' was talked about here http://animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?t=185630

I could be wrong about the committee/seele thing. Seems the script sometimes has them labeled as "Seele #" and other times labeled as "Committee A/B/C/D". And I can't find the line I was refering to. Closest thing I could find was: "Ryoji: Oh dear! These developments were unexpected, weren't they? For the Committee... er, Seele, how will you explain?", which wasn't what I was thinking of.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2006, 04:17 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:54 pm

The commitee is a subset of SEELE, there are a total of twelve members, the extra monoliths were a continuety error, we always see 12 monoliths in the movie and every other episode they are present.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2006, 05:20 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:54 pm

Do ya'll know what this forum needs? Feedback! I put all that backbreakin err fingerbreaking work into a beautiful Canadian monolith (ok so its sucks...but its still kinda funny) and no one even flames me!

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2006, 06:00 GMT

Z Metalla [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Z Metalla [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:54 pm

Funny thing is, I do see Canada as being one of the missing SEELE memberships... Along with Isreal and China, for some reason, in my head. I wish the image was a little more amusing, though, but that's probably just me. XD

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2006, 06:13 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:54 pm

Ornette wrote:I think those 6 people (Note that Gendo was one of the 6) were refered to as "The Committee" (UN related?)

Gendo isn't part of the Human Instrumentality Committee. It's just the five. He's a random toadie. Albeit a rather important one.

I could be wrong about the committee/seele thing. Seems the script sometimes has them labeled as "Seele #" and other times labeled as "Committee A/B/C/D".

When they appear as the Committee they are Committeeman A/B/C/D. Otherwise they're just numbers (or "Man" this or that; depends on the episode). But to us, they are Pierre Bretagne, Vladimir Kaganovich, Theodore "Teddy" Cassin, and Nigel Laforey (and a bunch of faceless nobodies).

And I like Yui's haircut, too. But I prefer her with no hair. The "flaming hair" scares me, too. Evas should be bald, period.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2006, 06:21 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”