Go Hikari!

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:11 pm

^Agreed. And perhaps with Zero as well(threesome), as Yui was orginally in her...he's got Rei I. Image

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 02:43 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:12 pm

Soluzar wrote:That scene would be the single greatest thing to happen to the anime community since Hideaki Anno first drew breath.

If that is the last greatest moment in anime history then anime is in trouble. O_O

Hideaki's made some good shows, I'll give him that, but I don't consider him some god-like director.

I can name a few anime directors I like a lot more then Hideaki, but I won't for the sake of NOT being line-by-lined picked apart by a certain vegetable eater.

Hideaki Anno is not a godsend.

-Nya, Camille is annoyed.

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 02:48 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:12 pm

Nya Camille? lol...thought that was one name.(thanks for the edit) Image
Yeah, there are other great anime out there, though I assumed at first Soluzar meant the "NGE", community(I don't read T_T), but whatever...

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 02:52 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:13 pm

MagicianCamille wrote:If that is the last greatest moment in anime history then anime is in trouble. O_O

Hideaki's made some good shows, I'll give him that, but I don't consider him some god-like director.

I can name a few anime directors I like a lot more then Hideaki, but I won't for the sake of being line-by-lined picked apart by a certain vegetable eater.

Hideaki Anno is not a godsend.

Awww, that was just the only great moment I could think of. Outside of Eva, there are only a handful of other anime I really like. I'm not as much of a huge fan of anime as most people around here. I've been watchin anime for years, but I tend only to like a small number of shows.

Also, while he isn't the greatest director, he is an auteur. There are a lot of technically good directors working in anime, but there aren't an enormous number of auteurs. The thing about the work of the auteur, as far as I am concerned, is that while it may not be the best work from the standard point of view, it is always interesting, and I am, first and foremost, a lover of the techniques of storytelling - the narrative tradition, and all that stuff. What I look for in an anime, or in a film is examples of innovative and interesting ways of presenting the story to the audience, not just entertainment.

EDIT: Yes, Megami, I did mean 'the NGE community' - that was a slip, of sorts. Personally, I regard NGE as the most interesting anime, but that is from the point of view of the complex way the story is presented. I'm more than happy to admit that there are many anime that I think are better, or at least, more well-rounded, and with fewer flaws. There are even anime I enjoy more, such as Kimagure Orange Road, but few that I find so interesting as I do NGE.

On an aside, I'd like to state that in fact, my own personal 'greatest anime moment' was when Kimagure Orange Road was released on DVD. While I do find NGE by far the most interesting anime, I don't think anything could touch KOR for sheer enjoyment. So, yeah, I retract my hasty statement about the birth of Anno.

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 03:06 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:13 pm

Soluzar wrote:You should believe me when I say that as of this moment, my solitary goal in life is to see that scene. No, I'm not joking when I say that. That scene would be the single greatest thing to happen to the anime community since Hideaki Anno first drew breath.

You are a very strange man! Image In the best possible way, of course.

The technicalities of it boggle, though... Gendo would presumably be held by the feet (whenever Yui needs to take matters into her own hand, anyhow), and he would need to be attached to a string so that he doesn't get lost. He would also have to take measures to prevent drowning in "holy water"; with someone as big as an Eva, it'd be a veritable waterfall in there.

And if we want to go threesome, why not invite ol' Kozo in? I'm sure there's more than enough room...

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 04:25 GMT

EvilAnimeQueen [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvilAnimeQueen [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:13 pm

I forgot where I found these, but I thought they were really cute Image

These bottom two are my favorite Image

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 11:11 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:14 pm

I belieive that those are taken from a certain Eva-themed screen saver. I've seen other images like them...one of my favorites that I can remember is Shinji asleep in a train car, while all sorts of stuff rampages through the city outside.

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 14:28 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:14 pm

http://purlace.net/eva/image.html

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 14:34 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:15 pm

Soluzar wrote:Awww, that was just the only great moment I could think of. Outside of Eva, there are only a handful of other anime I really like. I'm not as much of a huge fan of anime as most people around here. I've been watchin anime for years, but I tend only to like a small number of shows.

Also, while he isn't the greatest director, he is an auteur. There are a lot of technically good directors working in anime, but there aren't an enormous number of auteurs. The thing about the work of the auteur, as far as I am concerned, is that while it may not be the best work from the standard point of view, it is always interesting, and I am, first and foremost, a lover of the techniques of storytelling - the narrative tradition, and all that stuff. What I look for in an anime, or in a film is examples of innovative and interesting ways of presenting the story to the audience, not just entertainment.

EDIT: Yes, Megami, I did mean 'the NGE community' - that was a slip, of sorts. Personally, I regard NGE as the most interesting anime, but that is from the point of view of the complex way the story is presented. I'm more than happy to admit that there are many anime that I think are better, or at least, more well-rounded, and with fewer flaws. There are even anime I enjoy more, such as Kimagure Orange Road, but few that I find so interesting as I do NGE.

On an aside, I'd like to state that in fact, my own personal 'greatest anime moment' was when Kimagure Orange Road was released on DVD. While I do find NGE by far the most interesting anime, I don't think anything could touch KOR for sheer enjoyment. So, yeah, I retract my hasty statement about the birth of Anno.

Thank you for understanding. (Magami, Solu. Image;;; )

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 16:06 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:15 pm

Magami No ER wrote:Thank you for understanding. (Magami, Solu. Image;;; )

Sorry, Magami, I do know how your name is spelled, honestly, I do! Image

Just a one-time slip, I promise it won't happen again. Image

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 16:27 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:15 pm

That's fine. Image

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2005, 19:00 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:16 pm

Well, boys and girls, I've finally played that wonderful piece of heavily interactive entertainment [<-- oozing with sarcasm] known as "Girlfriend of Steel", and I've been able to update and organize my GOS-relevant image files accordingly. I figure I may as well share the wealth. Most of these are screenshots (originally PNGs) I took myself, supplemented by whatever crap in my GOS folder I couldn't get a screeny of. For purposes of practicality, I've converted most of the PNGs into 90% JPEGs; although if you really want the PNGs (which have no compression artifacts, but are helluva bigger), you can nag me on AIM or something.

I've broken the games' cut scenes (this "game" is many long cut scenes separated by brief moments of paltry 'interactivity') down into 'cuts' (which make no pretensions of being official), separated into multiple ZIP files:

gos_001~039
gos_040~084
gos_085~129
gos_130~181
gos_182~214
gos_215~241
gos_242~265
gos_265~288

There are, like, two numbering errors. By the time I noticed them, tho, I decided I didn't care.

Additional ZIPs are:

gos_endings: The three possible ending sequences. (Warning: n00dity!)
gos_explore: Screenshots from the "exploratory" segments in the game.
gos_extra: Random GOS crap from the Collector's Disc and elsewhere.
gos_faces: The little faces that pop up when people are talking.

BTW, if I were a mecha, I would sleep with Musashi's Land Cruiser. :drool:

Apologies to Monkey for raping his bandwidh, again. Image

Originally posted on: 18-Apr-2005, 20:13 GMT

millinniummany3 [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby millinniummany3 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:16 pm

You poor thing. You poor poor thing. I've played it, and when I was dropped into the EoE ending without warning (as the game oft does) I thought stuff this. It is all horribly out of character and even...Gibly I think is the word I'm looking for, at times. Change and lightheartedness is good, but please try and keep some grip on reality. Rei smiling that she won a game and has Shinji carry her things for her? Touji showing up alive and well to be told that the world will end in a week? Please, in future do not suffer through such travesties on our behalf. The only good to come out of this is you using up monkey boy's bandwith to host the images you were kind enough to take for us.

Originally posted on: 18-Apr-2005, 11:53 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:16 pm

Hey, I'd just like to say thanx, Reichu, for putting that together and posting it. Image It had tons of shots I'd never seen before.
The plot, as far as I could tell, was pretty lame-o, but it had a few cute moments. Needless to say, I can hardly credit the idea that Shinji could "get lucky" with Mana, or anyone else for that matter...

Originally posted on: 18-Apr-2005, 12:59 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:17 pm

BTW, I screwed up -- there's one additional ZIP I forgot to include before, 215~241. There now, tho.

millinniummany3 wrote:You poor thing. You poor poor thing. I've played it, and when I was dropped into the EoE ending without warning (as the game oft does) I thought stuff this.

What EoE ending?

Touji showing up alive and well to be told that the world will end in a week?

When does that happen?

Shin-seiki wrote:Hey, I'd just like to say thanx, Reichu, for putting that together and posting it. Image It had tons of shots I'd never seen before.

No problem. It was nice for me to finally be able to comprehensively organize the mess that was my GOS folder. Now if only there were comprehensive image collections for the various other NGE games...

The plot, as far as I could tell, was pretty lame-o, but it had a few cute moments. Needless to say, I can hardly credit the idea that Shinji could "get lucky" with Mana, or anyone else for that matter...

Yeah, the plot was pretty lame -- it was like a bad fanfic. A really bad fanfic. It was fun to see Asuka get seethingly jealous of Mana throughout, however. And the VA performances are good, even though the material stinks.

Mana is a character that defies all sense of logic. I mean, not only does she strip in front of Shinji, she also somehow manages to survive an N^2 blast inside a life capsule that gets blown from Gotenba to the ocean. Yah, right!

Originally posted on: 18-Apr-2005, 15:14 GMT

Joeshie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joeshie [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:17 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the pictures Reichu. There were some Asuka images I have never seen before, especially in the faces section. *saves the Asuka images*

Originally posted on: 18-Apr-2005, 15:56 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:17 pm

Joeshie wrote:Excellent! Thanks for the pictures Reichu. There were some Asuka images I have never seen before, especially in the faces section. *saves the Asuka images*

So you collect pictures of Asuka and Asuka alone? Oh well, at least it's easier on your harddrive than what *I* do...

BTW, I checked out the name of the "new weapon" introduced in GOS (and never seen again AFAIK) -- the "Vertical Style Angel Catcher" (Suichokushiki Shito Catcher). Hey... they forgot about the "Large-Scale Tackle Box" (Oogata Tsuridougubako)!

Originally posted on: 18-Apr-2005, 16:14 GMT

millinniummany3 [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby millinniummany3 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:18 pm

Reichu wrote:What EoE ending?

When does that happen?

At the end Shinji is camping with Touji and Kensuke, and he is given the option of whether or not to tell them about the world ending and such. Never mind that he's not supposed to know this. Anyway, this is like one week before EoE, and where Touji appears. The scenes from EoE occur throughout the game. At the end of the first act or some way through the second act the scene where Instrumentality begins (where Shinji chokes Asuka) plays. If you lose the scene where Instrumentality fails plays. At the end the scene where Rei basically had accomplished Instrumentality and faces Eva 01 plays, which I made an avater of by the way. Then at the very end there's a scene where you talk to Asuka in her plug suit, I think you have to choose her over Mana, anyway you talk to Asuka, then BAM, the movie kicks in. It's the end of EoE, starting with Rei's severed head (yeah, my QLN), and showing the devestation that had occured, the dead Evas, the red sea, the children on the beach, and that's about it. I felt this way with EoE and I'll say it now with this game, what a crappy way to end something. In fact here it's even worse, as there is no sign of hope, no Asuka recovering or even any sign that she and Shinji are alive, nothing.

Reichu wrote:Now if only there were comprehensive image collections for the various other NGE games...

Well I could get you some stuff from the N64 Eva game if you were after them. And one web site has stacks of images from Ayanami Raising and other Eva games.

Reichu wrote:Yeah, the plot was pretty lame -- it was like a bad fanfic. A really bad fanfic. It was fun to see Asuka get seethingly jealous of Mana throughout, however. And the VA performances are good, even though the material stinks.

Mana is a character that defies all sense of logic. I mean, not only does she strip in front of Shinji, she also somehow manages to survive an N^2 blast inside a life capsule that gets blown from Gotenba to the ocean. Yah, right!

And it's not as though fans would be eager to play as Shinji in his domestic life, is it? Nope, they would be more into the self insertion games where they kick *** in Evas and chase after Rei and Asuka, and whatever other skirt catches their fancy.

Originally posted on: 18-Apr-2005, 23:23 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:18 pm

millinniummany3 wrote:At the end Shinji is camping with Touji and Kensuke, and he is given the option of whether or not to tell them about the world ending and such. Never mind that he's not supposed to know this. Anyway, this is like one week before EoE, and where Touji appears. The scenes from EoE occur throughout the game.

What game were YOU playing? o_O Girlfriend of Steel occurs sometime around the #12~#13 range (it references an event in #11, I think), and it doesn't include a single reference to anything that happens in the second half of the show.

And one web site has stacks of images from Ayanami Raising and other Eva games.

Yeah, I know the place -- but it's not a comprehensive collection or anything. More whatever the webmaster decided to put online.

Originally posted on: 18-Apr-2005, 23:32 GMT

millinniummany3 [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby millinniummany3 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:18 pm

Tenku No Girlfriend, I was told it was Girlfriend of Steel. Know anything about it?

Originally posted on: 18-Apr-2005, 23:53 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”