Lilith and Adam. Questions...

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:09 pm

I recommend watching #05 again. It makes clear that Rei, whatever the true nature of her soul, etc, is a young girl with a 'human' heart and emotional needs (which, because she has undergone scarcely any socialization with other people, she doesn't know how to express or deal with), and it makes a huge impression on her when Gendo sacrificed his own safety and well-being to rescue her. She's as lonely as anyone in NGE; just look at her in the scene at the pool at school:

Shinji: I was just wondering why she always stays alone.

Toji: Now that you mention it, she hasn't made any friends since she
came to this school in the first grade.

Rei's emotions are not that hard to figure out; she responds with loyalty and devotion to acts of kindness and concern (which she seems to get only from Gendo and Shinji):
#17:
Shinji: Sorry, I cleaned up on my own accord.
I didn't touch anything except garbage.

Rei: Th..Thank you.
- --
Rei: "Thank you," the words for gratitude. Those words for the first time.
I've never even said them to that person.

Like I said, she may be the incarnation of a divine being and all, but that incarnation has made her as human as the rest of us:
#26:
Rei: What I want is...

Another's touch, another's respect

Originally posted on: 13-Oct-2004, 12:22 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:09 pm

Reichu wrote:EDIT: Hey, here's another brain-teaser for Sharp-kun on the "Anno's original intentions" deal. Adam is depicted with a core (or what looks like one, anyway) as early as the OP. And you contend that the "underground giant" was originally supposed to be Adam, yet she obviously lacks a core. Just curious about how you'd explain that one. Image

Been removed? Seriously, a lot of stuff I just think they hadn't worked out at that stage.

EDIT: Didn't embryo Adam have no visible core?

Originally posted on: 13-Oct-2004, 13:34 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:09 pm

Gah! Shin-seiki robed me of the chance to actually make a substantive post!

I’ll just add that Gendo is the reason Rei exists (Or if you believe her creation was an accident, is allowed to continue to exist.) He is the closest thing to family she has.

Also before Shinji came along; Gendo was the only person who treated Rei as anything other then a walking lab experiment. We see in the series he asks her to have lunch with him, and inquires as to how school is going. And of course saves her life (Despite that fact that she is replaceable) with disregard for his own wellbeing.

One of the big themes in Eva is that people need each other, and Rei was no acceptation.

Originally posted on: 13-Oct-2004, 15:45 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:09 pm

tv33 wrote:Gah! Shin-seiki robed me of the chance to actually make a substantive post!
You snooze, you lose. Image

Originally posted on: 13-Oct-2004, 15:49 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:09 pm

Sharp-kun wrote:EDIT: Didn't embryo Adam have no visible core?

Considering fetus-Sandalphon doesn't have a visible core either, maybe a core just doesn't develop until a later growth stage. (Granted, mature Sandalphon doesn't have a visible core, but I suspect he did have a core, probably inside the head; Asuka continuously bashed the googly eyes with the prog knife, if memory serves.)

Originally posted on: 13-Oct-2004, 17:25 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:10 pm

tv33 wrote:Gah! Shin-seiki robed me of the chance to actually make a substantive post!

I'll just add that Gendo is the reason Rei exists (Or if you believe her creation was an accident, is allowed to continue to exist.) He is the closest thing to family she has.

Also before Shinji came along; Gendo was the only person who treated Rei as anything other then a walking lab experiment. We see in the series he asks her to have lunch with him, and inquires as to how school is going. And of course saves her life (Despite that fact that she is replaceable) with disregard for his own wellbeing.

One of the big themes in Eva is that people need each other, and Rei was no acceptation.

All true. On the other hand, he is using her, and she knows it. I accept that your analysis has the truth of it, as far as the story goes. I still think that it is more likely that she would have come to despise him by the time the series started, if these were real people in a real situation.

Originally posted on: 13-Oct-2004, 19:35 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Knives [ANF] » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:10 pm

Rei - Gendo connection topic moved Image
Moved here

Originally posted on: 13-Oct-2004, 23:44 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:10 pm

Reichu referred to this old thread in a recent post, so I thought I'd bump it.

:bump:

I'm not too ashamed of the opinions I advanced in this thread, which makes a nice change. Mostly, when I look at my older posts, I can't believe how much I've learned in just 3 or 4 months. I was way clueless in some of the older threads...

Some would undoubtedly say, "and you still are" Image

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2005, 20:02 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”