Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

drgenestarwind [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby drgenestarwind [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:18 pm

while we're talking about strange things in eva, the question that will always resurface, What did Gendo say to Ritsuko in Terminal Dogma?

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2006, 02:47 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:18 pm

We have no definative answer(that I know of). Look in Shin-seiki's threads.

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2006, 02:55 GMT

millinniummany3 [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby millinniummany3 [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:18 pm

And you never will. This was custom made to have otakus debate the topic for ever more.

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2006, 03:01 GMT

AsukaxSohryux [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaxSohryux [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:18 pm

drgenestarwind wrote:while we're talking about strange things in eva, the question that will always resurface, What did Gendo say to Ritsuko in Terminal Dogma?

This scene was done on purpose to have the NGE fanbase speculate and bit** over it. If you dig to deep on subject matter, you will never find an answer.

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2006, 03:28 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:18 pm

AsukaxSohryux wrote:This scene was done on purpose to have the NGE fanbase speculate and bit** over it. If you dig to deep on subject matter, you will never find an answer.

I agree, some of the "Mysteries" of NGE were just put in for that reason....to be mysterious, and not necesarrily solvable ones.

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2006, 03:45 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:18 pm

If this becomes another "What did Gendo say to Ritsuko?" thread, I will nip off and shoot meself. Image

So then, why were the ruins of Tokyo-3 designated a "Psycho Hazard Area"?

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2006, 03:49 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

"Psycho Hazard Area"?

What are you exactly talking about? The events of the movie or the show?

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2006, 03:53 GMT

Ornette [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:18 pm

Seele08 wrote:What are you exactly talking about? The events of the movie or the show?

In EoE, 25'
http://www.animenation.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=154786

hmm.. seems the screenshot is broken on that link, try this:
http://buzzy.tesuji.org/images/supe...rd_area-eoe.jpg

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2006, 04:37 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Oh that, why would it be untoucable...if they didn't use nukes or BC weapons? It would be blown skyhigh but wouldn't be unlivable.

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2006, 05:52 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:18 pm

Usually, when the topic of Rei's arm falling off comes up, this gets mentioned:
Reichu wrote:In the manga, Ritsuko comments, "I'm the one that keeps your body alive." Genetic super-human, indeed. Rei doesn't seem quite as dependent on Ritsuko in the anime -- or maybe the reason Rei starts falling apart in #26' is because Ritsuko has been locked up ever since Rei #3 was pulled out of the jar. Image

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2006, 14:46 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:18 pm

How do you remember all of these things I forgot I said? Image

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2006, 14:49 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:19 pm

Reichu wrote:How do you remember all of these things I forgot I said? Image
Well, in this case, Mr. Tines just posted a link to that thread in the Commentary thread.

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2006, 14:55 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:19 pm

Wow, this place is almost as dead as post-2I Antarctica. "Tsu-man-nai!!!"

Q: Why do the harpies' heads mutate into rubbery stalks with nasty-arse Rei faces -- sometimes in multiple and with various levels of f*cked-up deformities -- after they "fuse" with GNR?

And, like, the only other sign (that I've noticed) that they've "physically converged" in any way is that white flesh stretches out of their backs, Lilith-style, when they skewer themselves. (Oddly enough, the body of Lilith herself isn't even behaving this way anymore.) Otherwise, they still have the same physiques as before, and red blood, and everything. WTH?

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2006, 21:26 GMT

BLACKANGEL32076 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:19 pm

>Reichu
I like the “umbilical cord” idea. As for the “bathtubs / Sephirotic Saunas” I'm with Magami on this one. You kinda lost me on the whole “finding/found” issue.

I agree with the “broken glasses=betraying Gendo” angle.

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2006, 23:23 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:19 pm

BLACKANGEL32076 wrote:>Reichu
You kinda lost me on the whole “finding/found” issue.

I don't even think that translates the same, being "found" when lost & "finding one's self", in Japanese quite same, would it? That's what matters.
Point is, both realize their lives both worthless(to both girls), yet needed(Asuka was located for a reason, and Rei is needed by Gendo.) Yet, in the end, both are used anyway(Rei obeys Shinji, Asuka isn't quite the same with her Mama.)
The suicide-esque folded uniform is just the visual cue relaying to THE END.

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2006, 23:28 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:20 pm

BLACKANGEL32076 wrote:>Reichu
I like the “umbilical cord” idea. As for the “bathtubs / Sephirotic Saunas” I'm with Magami on this one. You kinda lost me on the whole “finding/found” issue.

I think I lost myself. (Har har.)

Magami, can you explain this uniforms beezness?

I agree with the “broken glasses=betraying Gendo” angle.

Well, that one is pretty straightforward.

Although for a guy who's supposedly "betrayed", he sure is happy as a lark later, ain't he?

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2006, 00:20 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Reichu wrote:I think I lost myself. (Har har.)

Magami, can you explain this uniforms beezness?

Grammar, grammar. >.<
moi(fixed) wrote:both realize their lives are worthless

Rei often states herself as worthless, because as a pilot, she can be replaced(literaly). She goes to Termial dogma as her place of "suicide"(morseo the suicide of her individuality, she follows her fate(the moon is a visual cue to this), and relinquishes herself to Shinji, much to Gendo's dismay(who needed her first).
Asuka's meaning in this is more obvious, as she attempts actual suicide. She may call herself worthless(and feel it), but she is still needed by Nerv, and is located because she is needed. She relinquishs herself to her Mama when she wakes up, because it's her fate (well, otherwise she'd die in a way that Asuka's inate personality would NEVER allow.)
At least Asuka comes back physically after death...ironic since she attempted actual suicide...Rei succumbs, Asuka lives.(and yet she is sickened while Rei's smiling(and ghost Rei is watching))

That is what I was trying to say with this:

The suicide-esque folded uniform is just the visual cue relaying to THE END.

The END is the END of the girls(Rei's is also the END of Lilim, and the end of Eva.)

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2006, 00:46 GMT

Zugzwang [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zugzwang [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Reichu wrote:What "Lilith-type genes"? The first Rei was formed out of Yui Juice inside EVA-01's entry plug as a result of a failed salvage operation. How were Lilith genes going to get inside the plug?

Subsequent Rei look exactly the same as the first one -- they were just generated in a different manner.

Falling apart because of hanging around Lilith too long? I guess I'll mull over that one.

Lilith uses the same process as a plant does by budding Rei 'clones' right?

How is it possible for none of Lilith's genetic material to end up in Rei at all during this process?

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2006, 14:52 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Zugzwang wrote:Lilith uses the same process as a plant does by budding Rei 'clones' right?

How is it possible for none of Lilith's genetic material to end up in Rei at all during this process?

She's a hybrid of Yui and Lilith right? Yui wasn't an albino, that pale skin color came from somewhere right? Lilith's genetic material. She also inherited the super strong ATF generation and the regeneration technique. I'd say she definetly has some of Lilith in her.

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2006, 15:40 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Zugzwang wrote:Lilith uses the same process as a plant does by budding Rei 'clones' right?

The genesis of Rei 1 did NOT physically involve Lilith; the kid was an inadvertent product of the failed salvage operation of 2015. We're told the basics in #20, and left to extrapolate the rest: They (well, Gendo, anyway) attempted to get Yui out of EVA-01 and back into the entry plug so that her original body could be reconstructed from the "Yui Juice" that remained. Yui didn't budge, so, for reasons as yet undetermined, the essence of Lilith's soul was sucked out of its body instead -- permitted by the fact that EVA-01 was still connected to her mother at the time -- and a new, Yui-based entity was created: Rei 1.

Subsequent Rei are effectively clones of Rei 1, just made out of the substance of Lilith's body. This is why Rei 3 exhibits...

Seele08 wrote:the super strong ATF generation and the regeneration technique.

The pigmentation deviations that physically differentiate Rei from Yui are only superficially "albinic"; the "pale skin, red eyes" condition just seems to be the way the Seeds are. ("The Fifth Children looks like me... Why?") I'm not certain as to the exact explanation, but I'm willing to bet it's got something to do with metaphysical biology. Considering MPB is a real science in the show, an explanation involving it ought to prove quite sufficient.

And it would be an interesting contrast to how Kaworu was created, too.

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2006, 16:46 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”