Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:12 pm

^While the manga is different and should not be considered much in discovering anime quirks, I would assume(I'm NOT saying it's bad, it just diverst more), that's not a bad posisblity imo, I didn't think anything much more then that probable conclusion myself.
Also...
notice Rei obviously has much less blood flow throughout the fallen arm, and her skin is even paler, and her face design aged 10 years. Image

( j/k, but obviously it looks a bit different)
....if that means anything..

Originally posted on: 22-Feb-2006, 01:24 GMT

musashi1600 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby musashi1600 [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:12 pm

Reichu wrote:But why a SHIP? What the heck was this ship doing that made it such a great place to stash her?

A ship can move, and one the size and type they were keeping her on probably doesn't have to dock for supplies more often than once every couple months, if not longer.

Keep her moving, away from other people, and in a nice isolated corner of the world. Pretty good place to keep someone you want isolated. Even better if they have weapons to stave off possible pirate attacks.

Originally posted on: 22-Feb-2006, 02:03 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:12 pm

Scutilla wrote:As a side note, the bodies in the Reiquarium might be immersed in this stuff, which is how they retain their stability on their own.

If this is the case, maybe that's why we see Rei floating in that thing shaped like the Tree of Life in EoE...maybe the orange stuff in there is the same stuff they put in the Reiquarium.

Originally posted on: 22-Feb-2006, 02:17 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:12 pm

(6) Is there really any meaning behind Keel's visor being rainbow colored in EoE?

Well, I'd guess there is, seeing as how the folks here think there is meaning in every little bit of NGE. I still think its connected to the Eva Series due to the timing of the thing's weird color change.
Or maybe it was some kind of e-drug.
Keel: "Duuuudes, I'm totally seeing these lights,....its like....duuuuude".
Teddy: "We really need to change him over from Windows 95"
Nigel: "Yeah but than he'd stop crashing during meetings and we couldn't sneak out early"
Vlad: "Will the UN pick up the tab for the software?"
Teddy: "Well they always pick up the tab for lunch at Tavern on the Green, so I'd hope so. If not you can always give up your Vodka habit for a week."

Originally posted on: 22-Feb-2006, 02:41 GMT

Ornette [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:12 pm

I posted screenshots here http://www.animenation.net/forums/s...4&postcount=106

concerning Keel's visor

Originally posted on: 22-Feb-2006, 03:23 GMT

Zugzwang [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zugzwang [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:12 pm

The technicolour syntax runs throughout the show:

Not forgetting Seele's emblem. A full spectrum of colour indicates completeness. The shots with Rei and the Angel's gene sequence match. More evidence as to her origins.

Maybe.

Originally posted on: 22-Feb-2006, 11:55 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:12 pm

Zugzwang wrote:The technicolour syntax runs throughout the show:

(snippage)

Not forgetting Seele's emblem. A full spectrum of colour indicates completeness. The shots with Rei and the Angel's gene sequence match. More evidence as to her origins.

Maybe.
No "maybe" about it, IMO. Also note that in the OP, we have images of Kaworu and Rei, immediately followed by the word "Angels"...

BTW, you should try to make a habit of half-sizing screencaps, unless there's some significant detail in the image that wouldn't be noticeable at that resolution.

Originally posted on: 22-Feb-2006, 13:32 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:12 pm

Anatomy Lesson From Professor Clarkenstoned: No. Womb. Bad.

https://www.bcbsri.com/BCBSRIWeb/im...ctivesystem.jsp

I can vouche for the accuracy of the lower abdominal placement, too. (If said organ was behind my navel, I probably would have noticed by now.) Gendo has decidedly got his hand in the entirely wrong place.

But, hey, then we get umbilical cord symbolism. We needed another instance of that anyway to satisfy the "never see anything just once" rule...

Originally posted on: 22-Feb-2006, 16:26 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:13 pm

About the b00bage.

Due to the fact that things in NGE happen over and over and over again, this popped out at me during my wild screencap rampage through #24 last night:

Prior to both chest invasions, we have somebody babbling about ATFs.

Gendo, #26' wrote:Let's begin, Rei.
Release your AT Field, the barrier of your heart.
Complement your imperfect heart, leave your useless body...
Merge all souls into one.
And then, take me to Yui's side.

&

Kaworu, #24' wrote:Shinji:
An AT Field!

KAWORU:
That's right. That's what you Lilim call it.
The sacred domain where none may trespass.
The light of the soul.
Lilim, you know, don't you?
That the AT Field is the wall that everyone has in their heart?

I don't think the anatomical heart is involved either time (close, but no organ), but an ATF, or "wall of the heart", is being penetrated on both occasions. Not too sure about the meaning of the "getting stuck square in the left breast or corresponding region of chest" part... Evas are not mammals, and Yui-sama is flat as a board, but, if she were sporting these marvels, Kyo's knife would have gone through the center, by my guesstimates. I might idly suggest that "the Splitting of the Breast" (episode #16's title) has some possible relevance. They apparently do refer to the Evas' pecs as "breasts" -- see the EVA-03 clean-up in #19 -- for whatever reason.

The term is probably another one of those "nudge in the side" ambiguities, if I had to guess.

Originally posted on: 22-Feb-2006, 17:00 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:13 pm

Reichu wrote:Anatomy Lesson From Professor Clarkenstoned: No. Womb. Bad.

https://www.bcbsri.com/BCBSRIWeb/im...ctivesystem.jsp

We need to count the number of female gential visual references all about this series, they're everywhere.
Why? Because it's thee FGC.

Originally posted on: 23-Feb-2006, 01:32 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Reichu wrote:We needed another instance of that anyway to satisfy the "never see anything just once" rule...

It's not a rule, it's a tendency. For example, the infinity symbol appears only once (as far as I remember).

Originally posted on: 23-Feb-2006, 20:59 GMT

Oni [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Oni [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Well # 2 is because Shinji's dad had part of ADam in his hand and by putting it in Ray he turned her to the evil giant ray that destroys the world.
at least that is the jist of it.

Originally posted on: 23-Feb-2006, 09:50 GMT

Scutilla [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Scutilla [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Oni wrote:Well # 2 is because Shinji's dad had part of ADam in his hand and by putting it in Ray he turned her to the evil giant ray that destroys the world.
at least that is the jist of it.

Yes, we're aware of that Image I think Reichu was wondering more why those specific areas of the body (the womb would have been a more symbolic choice, but it's completely off from where he goes).

Dr. Nick wrote:It's not a rule, it's a tendency. For example, the infinity symbol appears only once (as far as I remember).

I can think of two instances- the Eva Series' AT Fields go to infinity (or some such techno-jargon like that, I can't remember the wording but the symbol was on the computer display) when Eva-01's getting crucified, and the final form of the Spear of Longinus resembles infinity (though that might be stretching it a bit).

Originally posted on: 23-Feb-2006, 16:09 GMT

AsukaxSohryux [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaxSohryux [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Sad to see you people still beleive Adam is female. I pity you all.

Originally posted on: 23-Feb-2006, 16:16 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Scutilla wrote:I can think of two instances- the Eva Series' AT Fields go to infinity (or some such techno-jargon like that, I can't remember the wording but the symbol was on the computer display) when Eva-01's getting crucified, and the final form of the Spear of Longinus resembles infinity (though that might be stretching it a bit).

Aw crap. The prongs are not connected when Yui does the Holy Flash Beam Attack thing, but apparently the damn thing mutates some more after that. My mistake.

Okay then, what about the yin & yang and the holy trinity symbols? I have a lingering feeling I'm going to lose this game, but hey, I live to amuse...

AsukaxSohryux wrote:Sad to see you people still beleive Adam is female. I pity you all.

If you disagree, please provide a proper counter-argument (in an appropriate thread, of course) and we'll listen.

Originally posted on: 23-Feb-2006, 17:10 GMT

AsukaxSohryux [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaxSohryux [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Aw crap. The prongs are not connected when Yui does the Holy Flash Beam Attack thing, but apparently the damn thing mutates some more after that. My mistake.

Okay then, what about the yin & yang and the holy trinity symbols? I have a lingering feeling I'm going to lose this game, but hey, I live to amuse...

If you disagree, please provide a proper counter-argument (in an appropriate thread, of course) and we'll listen.

I have already, I was shot up, flamed and boiled. So i gave up on it, believe what you want, everyone has their own opinions.

Originally posted on: 23-Feb-2006, 17:53 GMT

Colossus [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Colossus [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Reichu wrote:I've been thinking about a lot of things lately. But the only ones we are particularly interested in right now are the "Eva"-related things.

In my Pilgrimage Through NGE Hell, I've been stumbling into a number of questions. Sometimes my mind draws a complete blank; sometimes I think I have an idea, but I'm interested in others' takes nonetheless. Since they've been piling up, and I need to unload, I figured I would start my own "Random Question" thread. Yeah, like we really need another one, right? However, an overwhelming, inexplicable urge to make an "Animaniacs" reference overwhelmed the yen for Forum Economy.

At any rate, here are three to start things off. Remember that I'm not asking these rhetorically.

(1) #24: In the final scene, with Shinji and Misato at the beach, Shinji says that "Kaworu-kun was like me". What does he mean by this?

(2) #26': Why does Gendo stick his hand into Rei's left breast and immediately move it down towards her navel?

(3) #21: During the Antarctic Investigation scene, we see that Misato is being "quarantined" on Investigation Ship No. 2. Why is she being kept on this ship? What's the deal with the conditions she's being kept under?

1-I belive that when Shinji said that,he ment that Kaworu and him was close.That they perhaps had something and both of them were more similar than Shinji had first thought.

2-I think this symbolises the woman`s breast,being the nurtuing life,and the woman`s womb which holds life.This is something that i basically thought,way back from when i first saw that episode.

3-Ill have to check my tapes for that...

Originally posted on: 23-Feb-2006, 18:46 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Aw crap. The prongs are not connected when Yui does the Holy Flash Beam Attack thing, but apparently the damn thing mutates some more after that. My mistake.

Actually, I think it has more to do with the fact that it looks different from different angles. So when it is revolving, it looks like an infinity one moment and a giant X chromo another.

I suppose that saying "never" might be overdoing it, but things do have a habit of turning up again, and again, and again, etc., in various forms, the deeper one digs. So who knows. And remember that the recurrences don't have to be so exact. Think about themes and motifs. What do the Trinity and Yin-Yang symbols represent...?

Asukax wrote:I have already, I was shot up, flamed and boiled. So i gave up on it, believe what you want, everyone has their own opinions.

What Dr. Nick said. Please address such things as the possession of ova, the designation of "mother", and the connection to the Evas. I don't recall you doing this.

But, yessum -- don't do it here.

Magami wrote:We need to count the number of female gential visual references all about this series, they're everywhere.
Why? Because it's thee FGC.

"Thee FGC"?

I've got most of them in my head somewhere... We get another yoni when Lilith's solar plexus eats Rei, as well. (For the skeptics, there's a big mock-clitoris at the top of the "hollow".)

And now, onto another question.

What are the reasons behind the Kaworu/Shinji/Gay and Shinji = Sexually Confused interpretations? I bought into various aspects of this stuff at one point, but my brain recently received a very thorough enema on these matters, so I probably need a refresher. Note that I just want to hear explanations for these ideas from those who currently embrace them -- no debates on their validity, or what have you. That is not the reason why I am asking.

Originally posted on: 23-Feb-2006, 19:00 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Blargh, forgot this one.

Scutilla wrote:I think Reichu was wondering more why those specific areas of the body (the womb would have been a more symbolic choice, but it's completely off from where he goes).

It seems counterintuitive at first, but, after giving it some thought, it actually does make perfect sense. On a number of levels.

Here's one: Think about Rei's dependency on Gendo up to this point. Sort of like an unborn child completely reliant on its mother -- receiving all nourishment through the umbilical cord that connects them -- without Gendo, she was nothing. At least, in her mind.

At the beginning of #26', Gendo effectively creates a symbolic umbilical cord between himself and Rei with his arm. Why it's his arm, specifically, is another layer of detail altogether, but the fact that he is attached via her navel is what we're concerned with here. What does she do before she takes off on her own? She "cuts the cord".
Gendo "Why?"
Rei "Because I am not you."
The concept of "Gendo as Mother" is sort of messed up* -- for obvious reasons -- but it works on a twisted thematic level: Rei has no true mother, so Gendo, as her creator and the one who raised her, is the "next best thing".**

Recall what we're told in #26: "Mother is the First Other, but she is also a separate person from you." There comes a time when you must find your own two feet, and Rei does this by making her own decision about how to handle HIP, instead of just doing things Gendo's way without question. The theme of becoming independent from the Mother is already established with Shinji and Asuka, the other two members of the Children Trio (Toji and Kaworu are just one-episode Children, so they don't count Image ), so that we'd see some kind of variation upon this with Rei doesn't seem very off-base to me.

Just some ideas that came to mind, anyway.

As for the Armisael tie-ins... Ehhh, I'll report back once I've picked my brain up off the floor.

* Reminds me of the way the entry plug doubles as womb and phallus.

** Eva synchronization mechanics are a whole other barrel of monkeys.

Originally posted on: 23-Feb-2006, 19:44 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

I suppose that saying "never" might be overdoing it, but things do have a habit of turning up again, and again, and again, etc., in various forms, the deeper one digs. So who knows. And remember that the recurrences don't have to be so exact.

Agreed. I just felt like being pedantic.

If I wanted to claim I had some kind of point to make, I guess it would be not to over-emphasize any one aspect of the narrative. Visual motifs alone are worth nothing; they need to be looked in the context of everything else we are being told and blah blah blah.

Yeah, that was about it. Carry on.

What are the reasons behind the Kaworu/Shinji/Gay and Shinji = Sexually Confused interpretations?

I'm intrigued as well. Is this supposed to be some kind of consensus view around here? If it's worth anything, I see their interactions this way:
Kaworu = just inhumanely nice and open person
Shinji = just generally confused

Originally posted on: 23-Feb-2006, 19:58 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”