Noooo way!!! Images

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Naz
Embryo

Noooo way!!! Images

•      
  •      

Postby Naz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:24 am

Hey pals, long time reader, small time poster.

I love the images in evangelion that when you link them together you can't believe someone made that connection. If you are wondering what I mean I am talking about images like those in http://evacommentary.org/appendix/recyclopedia.html

Specifically the one where Misato grabs Shinji by the head just like sachiel does to unit-01, or the one where Rei and Shinji make the same pose in the hospital.

I know that there are other images that have "shock value" like this, I remember specifically the one where the cross on the post in EoE looks like the elevator doors or the bridge bunnies look like the kids in the school when they plair air guitar and read manga. Is there another gallery of these repeat images or "shock value" images where when put next to each other make you go "WHOA!!!!!"

Thanks in advance and sorry if there is already a post like this!

PPS I made a connection of repeat imagery that I never saw anyone else make, so this is my contribution to these boards (I'm sure it's been noticed):

In ep 11 with Matriel, Asuka kicks a door open to find Matriel staring her down. Later in that episode Asuka kicks a door open fairly similarly with Unit-02.
N|Naz

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:47 am

Those sorts of things used to get posted about regularly back in ANF's heyday. It was lots of fun trying to hunt down them all; the show oozes with parallelism and 'you never see anything just once'. Do keep in mind that NGE doesn't just do it using visuals alone, but with situations and dialogue as well.

Here's a couple of archived threads to check out:

- Devoted to the topic
- First three pages here have some
- Can always ignore the weird theorizing here

A lot of Shin-seiki's old stuff points out examples left and right, too.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Rogue Eva Squirrel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rogue Eva Squirrel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:18 pm

The way Shinji's looking at the blood on his hand in the recylopedia (episode one and episode whatever) is the same way he looks at the sperm on his hand in End of Evangelion.
Rogue squirrels in disguise.

bioweapon680
Adam

Re: Noooo way!!! Images

•      
  •      

Postby bioweapon680 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:31 pm

Naz wrote:Hey pals, long time reader, small time poster.

I love the images in evangelion that when you link them together you can't believe someone made that connection. If you are wondering what I mean I am talking about images like those in http://evacommentary.org/appendix/recyclopedia.html

Specifically the one where Misato grabs Shinji by the head just like sachiel does to unit-01, or the one where Rei and Shinji make the same pose in the hospital.

I know that there are other images that have "shock value" like this, I remember specifically the one where the cross on the post in EoE looks like the elevator doors or the bridge bunnies look like the kids in the school when they plair air guitar and read manga. Is there another gallery of these repeat images or "shock value" images where when put next to each other make you go "WHOA!!!!!"

Thanks in advance and sorry if there is already a post like this!

PPS I made a connection of repeat imagery that I never saw anyone else make, so this is my contribution to these boards (I'm sure it's been noticed):

In ep 11 with Matriel, Asuka kicks a door open to find Matriel staring her down. Later in that episode Asuka kicks a door open fairly similarly with Unit-02.

What do u mean by "shock value"?

I think that the similar but edited pictures are cool, but I don't realy see what the Evangelion crew were trying to get at.

Someone mind explaining to my dense mind?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0aQB4rNV_w Read the vid description b4 watching

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:42 pm

Anno stated in an interview that he thought Japan was "a nation of children".

What the "shock" imagery is is stuff like the bridge bunnies doing various things, then having another scene where it shows schoolchildren doing the same things as the bridge bunnies. The "shock" isn't what Americans would typically think of it is, its more of those, "you make the connection, and you sit bolt upright when you realize what he did there."
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:08 am

Rogue Eva Squirrel wrote:The way Shinji's looking at the blood on his hand in the recylopedia (episode one and episode whatever) is the same way he looks at the sperm on his hand in End of Evangelion.

They're not EXACT counterparts, though. The true counterpart to Shinji's semen-stained hand is when he's staring at Misato's bloody cross in the entry plug later.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rogue Eva Squirrel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rogue Eva Squirrel » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:54 pm

Reichu wrote:
Rogue Eva Squirrel wrote:The way Shinji's looking at the blood on his hand in the recylopedia (episode one and episode whatever) is the same way he looks at the sperm on his hand in End of Evangelion.

They're not EXACT counterparts, though. The true counterpart to Shinji's semen-stained hand is when he's staring at Misato's bloody cross in the entry plug later.

Two posts in and I've already been Reichu'd! :kawaii:

I thought that the bodily fluids would have given enough leeway, but I'm a newbie.
Rogue squirrels in disguise.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:57 pm

Rogue Eva Squirrel wrote:Two posts in and I've already been Reichu'd! :kawaii:

That's hilarious considering the true definition of "being Reichu'd" which was borne out of the IRC.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:38 am

I don't have screencappage, but hopefully, the descriptions will suffice...

* The shot of Rei looking down on Kaworu when she shows up in Terminal Dogma

+

* The shot of Asuka looking down on Shinji after he spills coffe on his shirt in EoE
If I'm pissing you off, just remember: it was Magami No ER who told me about this place, so blame him/her.

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:54 pm

Count A'ight wrote:I don't have screencappage, but hopefully, the descriptions will suffice...

* The shot of Rei looking down on Kaworu when she shows up in Terminal Dogma

+

* The shot of Asuka looking down on Shinji after he spills coffee on his shirt in EoE

Also, I haven't been here in a while; where was the image request thread again? I'm pretty sure I can provide/host pretty high res images if anyone wants them.
Last edited by Gamer_2k4 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamer_2k4

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:36 am

Rei's expression isn't quite as harsh, although it's very subtle. Look at the tilt of her eyebrows, for one.

Quick way to find the thread: Click on "Threads" above, then "Chit-Chat", then do a word search for "image request".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:16 am

Reichu wrote:Rei's expression isn't quite as harsh, although it's very subtle. Look at the tilt of her eyebrows, for one.

Actually, Rei almost looks sad (to me, anyway).

Reichu wrote:Quick way to find the thread: Click on "Threads" above, then "Chit-Chat", then do a word search for "image request".

Ah, gotcha. For some reason I thought it was stickied.
Gamer_2k4

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:46 pm

Jeez, was it necessary to make the images so big? A 512x384 and a 512x288 would have sufficed...
Last edited by Count A'ight on Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm pissing you off, just remember: it was Magami No ER who told me about this place, so blame him/her.

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:32 pm

Count A'ight wrote:Jezz, was it necessary to make the images so big? A 512x384 and a 512x288 would have sufficed...

Fixed just for you.
Gamer_2k4

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:09 pm

Arigato.

Here's something that could be seen as an example of overanalysis:

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:56 pm

Yeah, I think the concepts/implications are different. Note how Shinji's expression is changing, while it looks like Rei's duplication is intended to draw attention to her clone status.
Gamer_2k4

System Shocker
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby System Shocker » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:37 am

I miss the detail of the bigger pictures. Is there any way we can still access them?

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:22 pm

System Shocker wrote:I miss the detail of the bigger pictures. Is there any way we can still access them?

Click on the smaller ones.
Gamer_2k4

Midori
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Midori » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Oh, how I love people who sacrifice their time to do nifty little things like take a kabillion screenshots.
I really enjoyed all those screenshots of Misato yelling the same thing at the same angle.
You can't really blame them for recycling shots (refering to "because we're cheap"), I dont exactly think it's "easy" to animate a 26 episode series frame by frame in the early 90's.
Ever find it a little ironic that the theme for Rebuild of Evangelion is "Beautiful World"?

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:57 pm

Midori wrote:You can't really blame them for recycling shots (refering to "because we're cheap"), I dont exactly think it's "easy" to animate a 26 episode series frame by frame in the early 90's.

Disney's been animating full-length films (very well too, I might add) for over 70 years. It may not be "easy," but it's definitely possible.
Gamer_2k4

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”