Misato & Shinji in Episode 23'

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Silent Lightning
Embryo

Misato & Shinji in Episode 23'

•      
  •      

Postby Silent Lightning » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:31 pm

In the Big Irony Bomb scene, what evidence is there actually to suggest that Misato is "putting the moves" on Shinji like she once said? Am I missing something here?
Somebody educate me on this, please...
Earthbound my path

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Misato & Shinji in Episode 23'

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:09 pm

Silent Lightning wrote:In the Big Irony Bomb scene, what evidence is there actually to suggest that Misato is "putting the moves" on Shinji like she once said? Am I missing something here?
Somebody educate me on this, please...
Briefly, aside from the scene itself, which sure as hell looks to me like she entered his room with something other than innocent intent (thus the awkward chagrin with which she hastily retreats from the room), there is the way the scene is referenced in #25 (in 'the Case of Misato Katsuragi'), and also, there is the Newtype Filmbook 'Checkpoint' for the #23 scene which states that "Misato was apparently offering her body to Shinji here".

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:30 pm

And you can't forget the 'umbrella' as phallic symbol when Misato sits down next to Shinji. I don't have the pictures, will someone else provide it for future reference?
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:14 pm

I always that it was a "motherly" thing. Like when a son or daughter is upset and his/her mother comes in to check up on him/her and sits next to him/her on the bed; like that. I personally don't think she was trying to put the moves on him, just went in to check up on him.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:18 pm

Action_Bastard wrote:I always that it was a "motherly" thing.

I have to say I agree. The support for the BIB being here is extra-textual -- and setting it off at that point robs the "adult kiss" scene from EoE of all value.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:36 pm

Shinji's reaction, "Misato! No!" tells us what he thinks she was up to, as does his comment in ep. 24 to Kaworu that he doesn't want to go home. In EOE he tells the comatose Asuka that he's now afraid of Rei and Misato. Well, we know why he's afraid of Rei, but I wonder why he's afraid of Misato........

Also, in ep. 25 they flash back to the ep. 23 scene in question during the sequence where the other characters are telling her what a dirty slut she is. What more evidence do you need than that?
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:43 pm

Don't forget that in the DC version of the scene compared to the On air version, when Misato sits down, Shinji's chair in the background looks like a phallic symbol. (There was a topic on this; I can't remember the title at the moment.)

Personally, I see the bit in episode 23 explains not only Misato's actions in EoE but also EoTV (when we get the flashback TO 23).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:27 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:And you can't forget the 'umbrella' as phallic symbol when Misato sits down next to Shinji. I don't have the pictures, will someone else provide it for future reference?
It's a chair, not an umbrella.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:50 pm

I think there definately is a sexual undertone to Misato's actions but it's not something she's consciously expressing. It's just that she only knows how to deal with men in any form if it somehow relates to sex and lesser forms of physical affection which she mistakenly conflates with love.

Shinji's is rather extreme, certainly, but I don't think he's bluntly aware of what's in the back of her mind here. Rather it's probably a combination of just wanting to be left alone and feeling intense shame at his own inability to comfort her in ep 21 under similar circumstances. His fear of Misato likely stems from her 'the right to survive' rant she gives him after he kills Kaworu as well as just generally not feeling like the apartment is a home anymore with all the shit that has gone down.

On a side note, why in the world didn't Misato exploit Kaworu's death to get Shinji motivated in EOE? I believe something like "If you're just going to give up now then you killed Kaworu for nothing!" would cut right through his funk and force him to at least acknowledge her presence.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:15 pm

I agree pretty much 100%, although apparently the Newtype film book says something about Misato offering Shinji her body, IIRC. Could somebody supply the relevant passage, maybe?

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Zerogoki
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Zerogoki » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:04 pm

SSD wrote:Don't forget that in the DC version of the scene compared to the On air version, when Misato sits down, Shinji's chair in the background looks like a phallic symbol. (There was a topic on this; I can't remember the title at the moment.)

It's here, although the pictures aren't working right now as evacommentary seems to have gone kaput...

For me, the idea that Misato was attempting the down and dirty was pretty clear, although admittedly this was suggested via a number of hints that on their own are quite subtle. Most of these have been mentioned already: Shinji being scared of Misato and not wanting to go home in the following episodes, the flashback during instrumentality, etc.

However, the language used also seemed to me to be suggesting it, although to be fair I've been working from the subs rather than actually knowing Japanese. I believe that her saying "This is all I can do for you right now", although it could mean a simple cuddle or consoling hand on the shoulder, when considered with the other hints mentioned above makes it pretty clear what Misato is trying to do...
:misato_service:

[/gratuitous smilie usage]
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:18 pm

frankly, I don't see it
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:20 pm

Neither do I. The DC version in fact looks considerably less phallic than the original Ep23.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:30 pm

I blocked all these

Shinji:
Stop it, Misato!

Misato:
Sometimes, I lose all hope for myself! I hate it!

IBUKI:
Filth, you're so dirty.

RITSUKO:
You're pathetic.

Asuka:
Disgusting! You're just foul!
That's what you call a mature relationship?! You make me puke!

together as "everyone hate the Misato", with Shinji's line being a convenient bit that could be lifted entire.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:53 pm

AyrYntake wrote:Neither do I. The DC version in fact looks considerably less phallic than the original Ep23.
As I believe it was Reichu who mentioned, it looks less like a naked phallus and more like a phallus wearing a condom.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:09 pm

I believe it was Freud what said:
Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:40 pm

Freud said that? That goes against everything Freud said!

To remain on topic, Misato was trying to pull the moves on Shinji because it's emotionally confusing for everyone involved (including those watching) and Anno wanted to get that feeling across to the audience. I don't see why everyone always tries to explain this scene in the context of the episode without taking into account Anno himself.

Also, this "Misato x Shinji?" topic races my total number of dimes to almost enough to buy a snack.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:10 pm

Somebody said it....

I checked it anyway, and it's listed as unsourced on Wikiquote.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:28 pm

I think Jung was the one who made the comment about the cigar. Freud got all pissed about it at the very least, I remember.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:18 pm

The Bastard King wrote:I don't see why everyone always tries to explain this scene in the context of the episode without taking into account Anno himself.

Because I don't subscribe the the primacy of the author's intent when analyzing... well, pretty much anything?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”