(Third Annual) Lilim Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:00 pm

My character is totally original.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:30 pm

(rushes back in) COUNT ME IN!!!
I'll do this one just for the fun of it.

Isn't fun what it's all about? Welcome back!

As of October 7:

Designers:
    Zaiku
    Action_Bastard
    NemZ
    Formless One
    devil_eAter
    pat457

Judges:
    None

Do we have to have ship names for our characters? Cause I had a different name in mind. Is this ok?

NO! ITS NOT OK! I WANT TO ALIENATE MY FELLOW EVAGEEKS AND BOTTLENECK OUR CREATIVE RESULTS FOR THIS CONTEST! Do I have to say that I'm kidding?

Hmm, design or judge, design or judge... I would like to work on Toji's grandfather from my crossover, but you're also in good need of judges... It can only be one or the other, right? I'll think it over a bit first.

You can be both a Judge or a Designer - you are just unable to vote for your own Character for an Award if you become both. That means you could risk losing a vote for your Character. But I am in need of hands!

All I need now is to get someone to draw my character for me.

Miss Reichu is right about your previous thread, Action_Bastard, you could just post your job listing here on this thread. If you can hang on for a bit, I think I can try to get some help for you. If not, you can just do your best - I'll appreciate what you have!

And for all of you eager beavers out there: Contest registration doesn't end until New Year's Eve. Don't seat it: I've scheduled this during the Holiday break so that most people can get the bulk of their ideas down at their leisure. And if you have a lot of your Character done, take the time to polish it.

However, for all of you slackers out there, try to get your stuff done in pieces before New Year's: pace yourselves and get your ideas on paper. This time, there is a penalty for being too late, and I do not want to resort to that. Get to it!

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:11 am

Hey, don't worry, I decided to draw him myself today, and after a little research on the interwebs, I have made my character. Not bad I must say. I am very, very impressed with my work. I believe I underestimated my abilities. So, now, I have my character all drawn out. Just need to think of other things do draw him in.

That will be all form me until my turn in the competition is up. I apologize for the wackiness. :pwnd:
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Zaiku
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zaiku » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:13 am

Thanks a lot, Zaiku, now I have to make another medal!

:thumbsup:

Anyway, I was thinking about uploading a pic of my Lilim that I drew, but maybe that would be too big of a spoiler? What do you guys think?
For the love of everything... Watch this video: Give it 5 stars and leave a comment. Even, subscribe... Maybe? Well, I'd appreciate it. >_>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiBcbfvcE6c
"I did it for the lulz." ~Me: on everything

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:31 am

Anyway, I was thinking about uploading a pic of my Lilim that I drew, but maybe that would be too big of a spoiler? What do you guys think?

Actually, I would like you to hold on to it until your presentation in a few months. I would like to remind everyone again to please refrain from presenting anything specific about their Characters until the time comes. Presenting any of your work is supposed to be saved until then; doing it earlier than that can be a bit unfair for those who have nothing to show yet, bring early favoritism to a Character before any competition could be mustered, and could contaminate the creative flow of other Designers who might want to "keep up with the Joneses".

If you need help with something, go ahead and post a general idea that you need help with. I'm sure your fellow Designers would be willing to help. But until then, keep things under wraps.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:46 am

I'm in.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:44 pm

I'm in.

Get in!

As of October 9:

Designers:
    Zaiku
    Action_Bastard
    NemZ
    Formless One
    devil_eAter
    pat457
    Enki v.2

Judges:

None

Gah! Need Judges!

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Count me in as a judge. I'm not really inclined towards designing a character for someone else's story when I have trouble developing them for my own. Also, may I suggest a slight change to the contest rules?

It occurs to me that if the judges recieved character designs early, before the presentation guidelines, then a preliminary judgement could be given, along with suggested changes to the designs that could improve their score at the end of the contest. My intent for this is to lead to a higher quality of presentation and character design at the end of the contest.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:50 pm

This just in from the front lines: it is an honor for me to tell you all that Zeak will be joining us for this contest! Here's hoping that he gives us something that is readable...
Count me in as a judge.

You are counted! Welcome!

In regards to your suggestion, C.C., I don't think I'm too keen on doing that. While I appreciate the idea of improving quality, I am against it for a couple of reasons:

- Early preconceptions of Characters before they are done can sway the decisions of the Judges. You only have one chance to make a first impression - and that alone means a lot.
    - Direct help from Judges can give an unfair advantage to Designers who do use Judges as Consultants. Also, having one party who is interested in creative expression work with another who is interested in obtaining the best product can lead to creative clashes. What about the Designers who chose to disregard a Judge's advice? How will that affect his vote?

Just think of it this way: in a barbecue contest, the Judges do not go around and help the Cooks make barbecue according to their own preferences. It clearly gives some an unfair advantage. And if you know Cooks, who may spend years perfecting their recipes, they may not appreciate the suggestions the Judges might make to make their recipe "better".

The way I see it, I think it is better to judge Designers and Characters by their own merit and resources. I would like Designers to either gain or pay for the things that they themselves do.

The best I can do in this regard is to allow people to post suggestions and tips to Designers on this thread that could lead to success. Also, I can personally offer my services to proofread and text edit submissions just before they are posted, with the permission of the Designer. I have done this in the previous contest to improve readability of text. I am not a primary Judge, so my first impressions are less of an issue.

@ Mr. Tines
That is a nice Character idea. Unfortunately, however, I cannot allow this to be entered into this contest and compete because you:
    - Were not registered.
    - Submitted your Character well before the Presentation week.
If you want to be in this contest, you have to acknowledge yourself to me and either:
    - Submit a completely different Character for the contest.
    - Delete your previous post, and polish and overhaul the Character you just posted until Presentation week.

It seems to me that the rules seem ambiguous to some people. In a nutshell:
    - Rules are the same as the Angel Design Contest.
    - People have to post on the Presentation week to give full and equal attention to their Characters.
    - Creative expression is encouraged and no one has any right to deter or criticize it (at least until Judgment week).
    - Creative contamination and spoilers are to be kept to a minimum.

Do I just type so much that people ignore me? I so, then, BOINGO, BOINGO, WHOOPSIE, KNICKERS.

As of October 12:

Designers:
    Zaiku
    Action_Bastard
    NemZ
    Formless One
    devil_eAter
    pat457
    Enki v.2
    Zeak
Judges:
    CorporalChaos

Bah! I'm done with being an authoritarian! Go have fun! Really!

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:17 am

That wasn't exactly what I meant. Its probably the way I went about saying it, so let me clarify. I completely understand if you still don't want to do this.

What I had in mind was that every contestant sent every judge a copy around the time of the original submission guideline. Each judge would then give his own personal review of the design.

After this, every contestant would be given "tinker time" on the design. They could then take the judges comments into consideration. From this session, an initial score would be given to the entry. When the public exhibition comes around, the entries would be rejudged, and the score given can only be equal to or better than the initial score given to the entry.

Again, I completely understand if this is something you are not willing to do, and it is a bit complicated. This post was also meant as a bit of clarification to my earlier post, and after reading your criticisms, then rereading my post, it seems I didn't put the idea out there the way I had first imagined it.

Anyway, looking forward to judging everybody's design in a month or two.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

AsukaChan
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaChan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:23 am

I'm still alive. XD

I'd like to get in on this as well, since I'm designing characters anyway lol. o_o
Asuka, just as hot as that Langley Soryu chick.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:03 am

What I had in mind was that every contestant sent every judge a copy around the time of the original submission guideline. Each judge would then give his own personal review of the design.

I though about doing this too, and I still don't think it would work well for the other reasons I've cited before. Not only could this possibly bring a lot of work for all parties involved, it could weaken a Designer's sense of control over their own design. Releasing with a surprise can also work to a Designer's advantage - one that can be lost if it is given to a Judge to pre-review.

I would like Designers to use their own judgment as to how they work on and present their own ideas. I think artists (and heroes f.y.i) should live and die by their own merit, and for others (like Judges) to think for themselves. Not only does this give the Designer more freedom, but it gives me an indication of a Designer's own work ethic and skill.

I know that the context of this contest may not be a true indicator of how in top a Designer is on his game (heck, I personally know someone from the other contest who wasn't able to put out his best at the time), but it would be more significant to me to see everyone's true colors.

I will say this: anyone can post general tips and suggestions here that might improve a Designer's success. Also, a Designer is free to work privately with a partner or someone outside of the Judgment circle to provide feedback and other help (as long as they are cited).

People tend to be their own, harshest judge - our Judges just hand out awards.

I'm still alive. XD

Then will there be cake? No? Then get to work!

As of October 14:

Designers:
    Zaiku
    Action_Bastard
    NemZ
    Formless One
    devil_eAter
    pat457
    Enki v.2
    Zeak
    AsukaChan
Judges:
    CorporalChaos

Hey, we've got quite a turn out. I hope everyone will actually be able to present!

Zaiku
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zaiku » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:09 am

Hey Chow, just out of curiosity, will you be directly involved with the contest, such as being a judge/contestant/both? Just asking is all.
For the love of everything... Watch this video: Give it 5 stars and leave a comment. Even, subscribe... Maybe? Well, I'd appreciate it. >_>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiBcbfvcE6c
"I did it for the lulz." ~Me: on everything

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:55 pm

Since my computer at home is squished, I'll have to settle for just being a judge. Sorry, Hajime...
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:57 pm

Since my computer at home is squished, I'll have to settle for just being a judge.

I'll appreciated whatever effort you can spare. However, there is still plenty of time. If you can still register to Design once your gain access to a computer again.
Hey Chow, just out of curiosity, will you be directly involved with the contest, such as being a judge/contestant/both?

My involvement will be about the same as in the Angel Design Contest.
I will:
    - Elaborate on rules.
    - Assist with some editing and design work upon request.
    - Cast the tie-breaking vote for Awards.
    - Submit my own Character design, which will be exempt from winning any Award.

As of October 14:

Designers:
    Zaiku
    Action_Bastard
    NemZ
    Formless One
    devil_eAter
    pat457
    Enki v.2
    Zeak
    AsukaChan

Judges:
    CorporalChaos
    Omegagouki

Wahoo! We are really picking up! Keep coming! The more the merrier!

devil_eAter
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby devil_eAter » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:35 pm

Where did all the sexiness go?

That was my random statement for the day. Anyway I was wondering if he character could be a fictitious version of a real person, being I am considering doing that. I'm not sure if I want to, but I want to ask in case.
Fred Phelps sucks....

Zeak
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Zeak » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:46 am

Chowwow just wondering how flexible you are going to be with the dates. I will try send you the work when I can but pictures may be delayed.

I have a ripper of a character I'm working on well a little fan service to go with my character. lets just say he works with Miss Reichu's little friend. A main character in the ff I have been working on for the last 2 months.

[hint for ff]What better place to base Antarctic operations for project e then Eden. [/ hint for ff]
Writer and Lead animator of Cold Heart
webpage

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:47 am

I'm not exactly sure if I should join, with school and all.......
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Avatar of Dreams » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:19 pm

Formless One wrote:I'm still looking for artistic support, however I could always stick to a text only submission. And I might just draw something myself, but no promises there (especially in regards to artistic quality). If you would like to help, just say the word.

If you still need help in the artistic department I would be happy to assist you.

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:14 pm

^Cool! Should I PM you or something? Just say the word.

Thanks man!
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Return to “Fan Works”