Sachiel's explosion..?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:59 pm

no common sense wrote:Oh, and please get off the whole positron rifle thing, it's not much different than saying something like atomic death ray gun. It's an anime about character relationships and the human condition not mecha and the fucking starship Enterprise.

amen brother

ps ha ha reichu
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:10 pm

no common sense wrote:Oh, and please get off the whole positron rifle thing, it's not much different than saying something like atomic death ray gun. It's an anime about character relationships and the human condition not mecha and the fucking starship Enterprise.

As I am fond of saying -- if the creators didn't want the audience to fret over mecha and cool weapons, they could have told a perfectly sound story about "character relationships and the human condition" without them.

no common sense
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby no common sense » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:25 pm

Or maybe they included Mecha for the same reason they included 14 year olds with fully developed breasts. Because it sells. (What do you think first got the show to my attention, the rave reviews?pfff) Oh and for the record I didn't know they were 14 until after I bought the series.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:19 pm

no common sense wrote:Or maybe they included Mecha for the same reason they included 14 year olds with fully developed breasts. Because it sells.

No one told them that they had to make the mecha integral to the plot. Or name the series after them.

rip3mwk
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:25 pm

hey i was ten fkn yrs. old when i first viewed the series and the 14-yr. olds passed before my eyes... to tell the truth, at that age - first time anime viewing - it was the robots that grabbed me. sad but true. when i re-viewed it again five yrs. later i could've cared less about the robots and the changing size of asukas breasts. one yr. later i could still care less. i guess that happens when one comes of age and realizes that there really isn't a pt. for this world to drool over boobs and robots, only some fucked up shit that has to do with a couple of deranged characters. once again i drift off into another subject being philosophy... shit!

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:23 pm

Dude. There's only one robot in NGE, and it sucks.

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:03 pm

Reichu wrote:Dude. There's only one mecha in NGE, and it sucks.

AFAIK, the world "Robot" originally meant "slave of humans", and I don't think equal rights was on SEELE's minds when they created the EVA units. :P
Asuka > Rei

rip3mwk
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:09 pm

Reichu wrote:Dude. There's only one robot in NGE, and it sucks.

yeah yeah, you know what i meant.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:53 pm

Oh, and please get off the whole positron rifle thing, it’s not much different than saying something like atomic death ray gun. It’s an anime about character relationships and the human condition not mecha and the fucking starship Enterprise.

A very good point....but I wonder if it would be scientificaly possible to make an atomic deathray gun (ducks all the rocks everyone throws at him)

Dude. There's only one robot in NGE, and it sucks

Yeah poor jetalone , no one likes him.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:00 pm

Ryo wrote:AFAIK, the world "Robot" originally meant "slave of humans", and I don't think equal rights was on SEELE's minds when they created the EVA units. :P

Well, the thing about words is that they change meanings through time or if they migrate across the language boundary. Nowadays, "robot", if not used metaphorically, refers exclusively to mechanical devices, and using it with reference to Evas doesn't work very well, being as they are almost entirely sacks of meat.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:43 pm

Well in actuality we don't know how much of the evangelions are organic. They are definatly at least a little cybernetic in that they have the armor grafted to their bodies and have an interface with the entry plug. How much of their bodies has been enfused with mechanical enhancments has never really been revealed. We can only make guesses from the moments weve seen the evas true bodies.

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:15 pm

The length of their spine must be full of mechanical devices for the entry plugs to work. Furthermore, the joints must also have inorganic parts to them; I speak of when Rei fought Bardiel of course. Various computer and radio systems must also be placed somewhere on the Eva, and the most logical thing to do is embed it into the flesh of the unit.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:13 pm

Why would you need to 'mechanically enhance' what is, in essence, a god? The mechanical crap is there to make them controllable, not to make them 'better'.

Most of the intrusion affects the central nervous system (only part of the spine is replaced, BTW). There are some things on the skin that look like implanted electrodes, which attach to wires and such. Also, like Dave said, there must be some measure in place that severs the limbs on demand (whatever it is). Other than that, though...

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:42 pm

The word "robot" comes from rumanian "robota" which if I remember correctly means "work" or "worker". It became famous because an old B&W mute film called something about robota, in which there where mechanical workers who rebelled.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:47 am

AchtungAffen wrote:The word "robot" comes from rumanian "robota" which if I remember correctly means "work" or "worker". It became famous because an old B&W mute film called something about robota, in which there where mechanical workers who rebelled.

Oh, thanks. I think I read it in one of those "sience for kids" books, but it was really long ago and I didn't really remember.
Asuka > Rei

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:07 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:The word "robot" comes from rumanian "robota" which if I remember correctly means "work" or "worker". It became famous because an old B&W mute film called something about robota, in which there where mechanical workers who rebelled.

Karel Capek's 1921 play Rossum's Universal Robots; the word is Czech

However, as is usually the case with words, the truth of the matter is a little more convoluted. In the days when Czechoslovakia was a feudal society, "robota" referred to the two or three days of the week that peasants were obliged to leave their own fields to work without remuneration on the lands of noblemen. For a long time after the feudal system had passed away, robota continued to be used to describe work that one wasn't exactly doing voluntarily or for fun, while today's younger Czechs and Slovaks tend to use robota to refer to work that's boring or uninteresting.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:42 pm

Thx!
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sun May 08, 2005 7:46 pm

Aren't we all just biological robots?
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun May 08, 2005 8:50 pm

I've been thinking, even though the evas are biological, they can't be made of normal matter. First of all the way they move, just look at the high speed running and super huge jumps they did when they were going to catch sahaquil, some of that was also going on with Isafrel.

Also an eva (and some angels) can go into hot lava without being cooked to death.

The molecular structure of an eva must be incredibly durable.

rip3mwk
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Sun May 08, 2005 10:48 pm

Defectron wrote:Also an eva (and some angels) can go into hot lava without being cooked to death.

Well Unit 02 was apparently protected by D-type equip. and Unit 01, well, i guess it is meant to be understood that the regular armor can withstand the heat and at the time when she entered - it was shallow (not enough pressure to crush shin and his momma).
On that matter, something which sorta bothered me: Those in the eva feel the pain of the eva... well Asuka was in 02 when her leg was snapped of (in the lava) and she seemed quited ok. For some reason, I would assume that having your leg torn off would hurt just as much as 00's arm being severed (and Rei made a fuss about that). Just a little bothersome to me, then a lot of the rest is - but I can stand it due to the fact that eva is an anime [anime's special rules will suffice].

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”