Are any of you following Ideon?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

PronsAmuro [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PronsAmuro [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:47 pm

Levon wrote:Only seen the first 10 episode of Ideon because after a while episodes wouldn't run good on my PC because of odd resolution. Why is the resolution 720 x 540? All the fansubs I download are 640 x 480. Even the .mkv fansubs like Captain Harlock are 640 x 480, and I can run them just fine.
When we started this, I didn't know much about encoding and pretty much did barebones, these days I decomb and change the size of them for every release, except the ocasional ones I forget. Remember, I learned to encode (and quite a few other things) just to do Ideon.

Of course, I'm not totally sure why they'd slow your computer. =|

Originally posted on: 08.03.2006, 03:56 AM

Levon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Levon [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:47 pm

Yeah I remember, I think you re-released the first episode. Unless I'm thinking of Kamen Rider Black or something.

L-Gaim's quality is amazing.

Originally posted on: 08.03.2006, 04:04 AM

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:47 pm

Quiddity wrote:They start talking about Instrumentality in Eva as early as episode 2. Remember?
Yeah but you have no idea at all what it is until EoE. Anyway I think they called it human enhancement in that episode.

Me thinks you need to watch Eva again if you think those things are only relevent in the movies.
I didn't say they were only relevant in the movie I said they only had a presence in the movie.

First off, the barrier protecting the Ideon and Solo Ship is mentioned in pretty much every single episode.
Well it still isn't unique enough to claim it was borrowed.

Actually, it did not look like Arael. Arael was a giant glowing bird like angel with huge wings. Arpeggio looked like a giant red crystal with a woman at the center. Images below.
That doesn't look similar to you?

And RahXephon shot Arpeggio with a bow and arrow while Arael was killed by Rei throwing a lance at it. Not the same.
A robot using a pre-modern weapon with a sharpened end to destroy a target in orbit that couldn't have been hit with other weapons. Sounds similar enough to me. Especially since in Rah they (the writers) had other plausibly alternative ways they could have destroyed it.

You've really gotta watch the show then. Kids piloting the Ideon is a very important part of the show because the Ide reacts strongest to the young (You've got to have seen it react to Piper Lou multiple times right?).
I thought that was just because he had more fear in him being a baby and all?

The similarity to Eva is this link between the mecha and child pilot that is needed to bring the Ideon to its strongest potential. Like in Eva where the Evas can only be piloted by the children because of their special connection to them. Thats the difference, in many mecha shows, like Gundam, you could put an adult in there with no effect.
Okay I accept that.

Anyway the second half of Rah (I'm up to 24) didn't seem to have that many similarities to Eva so I'm past that stage. Now I'm just resentful towards the general incoherancy of the show and Mishima not being real.

Originally posted on: 08.03.2006, 06:04 AM

Van [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Van [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:47 pm

Ark wrote:A robot using a pre-modern weapon with a sharpened end to destroy a target in orbit that couldn't have been hit with other weapons. Sounds similar enough to me. Especially since in Rah they (the writers) had other plausibly alternative ways they could have destroyed it.
I had a spider on my roof, since it was out of range I used fly spray to kill it, a spider also has lots of "legs".. OMG I RIPPED OFF EVA!!!

The idea of using a "weapon" that could "bridge" the gap would never have occured to me if I hadn't of watched Evangelion!

Thanks Anno!

Originally posted on: 08.03.2006, 08:39 AM

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:47 pm

Van wrote:I had a spider on my roof, since it was out of range I used fly spray to kill it, a spider also has lots of "legs".. OMG I RIPPED OFF EVA!!!

The idea of using a "weapon" that could "bridge" the gap would never have occured to me if I hadn't of watched Evangelion!

Thanks Anno!
I do hope that's supposed to be a joke.

By the way I suggest you see a psychologist if you're bothered by spiders being on your roof.

Originally posted on: 08.03.2006, 01:46 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:47 pm

If this topic becomes any more about RahXephon than it already is, I'm going to request a lock. I'm not asking you to stay on topic, people.

Originally posted on: 08.03.2006, 04:23 PM

Quiddity [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Btw I noticed on the shinn getter site you said your fav animes are Eva + Ideon, prefer Eva to Escaflowne these days?
No. Esca is better than Eva. Better written, better music, the story and character development is handled better, I prefer it on almost all counts. Eva trumps it in terms of discussability though, you certainly don't have as much to talk about Esca as you do with Eva. IMHO.

Originally posted on: 08.03.2006, 06:25 PM

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Soluzar wrote:If this topic becomes any more about RahXephon than it already is, I'm going to request a lock. I'm not asking you to stay on topic, people.
Well I've seen the whole series now and found that there are much better things to flame it for than its similarities to Eva.

Although I can't resist one more.

In ep26 when Quon talks to Ayato in "instrumentality" I couldn't help but laugh.

She's says something along the lines of "you've never been able to establish relations with others".

Ga?

They can't even have the "borrowing" match the rest of the story.

Originally posted on: 08.03.2006, 08:04 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Quiddity wrote:No. Esca is better than Eva. Better written, better music, the story and character development is handled better, I prefer it on almost all counts. Eva trumps it in terms of discussability though, you certainly don't have as much to talk about Esca as you do with Eva. IMHO.
You need to put your Escaflowne page back up. I've watched it twice now, and there are things I just plain don't get. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. I'm counting on you to have the answers.

OK but just the one, then we talk about Ideon some more, Capice? Image

Originally posted on: 08.03.2006, 08:09 PM

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Also imaginary Mishima's voice was much sexier than Nyamo's.

Any way it's off to Zeta country now.

Originally posted on: 08.03.2006, 08:13 PM

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Soluzar wrote:If this topic becomes any more about RahXephon than it already is, I'm going to request a lock. I'm not asking you to stay on topic, people.
Ark wrote:Well I've seen the whole series now and found that there are much better things to flame it for than its similarities to Eva.

In ep26 when Quon talks to Ayato in "instrumentality" I couldn't help but laugh.

She's says something along the lines of "you've never been able to establish relations with others".

Ga?

They can't even have the "borrowing" match the rest of the story.
Dude, Ark, shut up already. Nobody cares about what you think about Rahxephon, this thread is about IDEON. Space age robot, he's at-no wait, that's Gigantor.

Originally posted on: 08.03.2006, 09:13 PM

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Ark wrote:It doesn't effect the series.It only takes place in the film.

Again that only emerges in EoE.
End of Evangelion is based on the originally planned TV ending.

Originally posted on: 08.04.2006, 09:42 AM

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Well, I got around watching the final episodes of Ideon, and the ending sure was on some serious surprise cancellation crack. Definitely one of the most rushed things I've ever seen, right there with Gundam F91 and Nadesico the movie. Which was a real pity, since the last eight or so eps were really good, nicely paced Scary Door stuff.

The ending also got me thinking what NGE's tv-ending could've been like if it had followed Ideon's footsteps even more closely:

Episode 24, Tominonisized! wrote:Misato:
He abandoned his will to live, clinging instead to a false hope. You did nothing wrong, Shinji.

Shinji:
You're cold, Miss Misato.

*Suddenly, the ground starts shaking and funky psychedelic light effects fill up the screen*

BOOMING-VOICED NARRATOR:
At that very moment, Seele initialized the Human Instrumentality Project, and the Third Impact followed. Shinji's position as the pilot of Evangelion Unit 01 granted him the power to decide the fate of humanity, and being the miserable little pile of angst he is, he killed off every living thing on the planet for a moment. But thanks to Rei and Yui, he got over his depression. Sort of.

*Ethereal naked Rei flying across a background of post-3I landscape*

*Ending credits roll. Skip to D&R and EoE as if nothing has happened*

Originally posted on: 09.17.2006, 04:12 PM

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”