Movie Question

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Wayne
Embryo

Movie Question

•      
  •      

Postby Wayne » Sun May 01, 2005 2:10 pm

I just finished watching all of the 26 episodes of Evangelion and I plan on renting the movies some time. But I heard that Death and Rebirth is just a recap of the show. Can someone tell me if that is true? If that's so, I'm only going to rent End of Evangelion. Thanks a lot.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Movie Question

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 01, 2005 2:23 pm

Wayne wrote:I just finished watching all of the 26 episodes of Evangelion and I plan on renting the movies some time. But I heard that Death and Rebirth is just a recap of the show. Can someone tell me if that is true? If that's so, I'm only going to rent End of Evangelion. Thanks a lot.

The first path, Death, is a summary of the TV series eps 1-24, including material that was not present in the TV versions, but is present in the Director's Cut or Platinum DVD releases for eps 21-24 (a few minutes of material, but significant if you've not seen it before); plus a few seconds of framing sequences as each character gets their turn in the spotlight. Rebirth is the first third of EoE, breaking off at a cliff-hanger.

More gory details here - http://www.evamonkey.com/em_guide.htm
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun May 01, 2005 2:23 pm

Wayne wrote:I just finished watching all of the 26 episodes of Evangelion and I plan on renting the movies some time. But I heard that Death and Rebirth is just a recap of the show. Can someone tell me if that is true? If that's so, I'm only going to rent End of Evangelion. Thanks a lot.

Yeah it's actually a recap and it has also the first 30 minutes of End Of Evangelion..If you wanna see the ending of Eva just rent EoE..
But i would suggest you renting D-R too,it's a very nice recap of the series..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Wayne
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Wayne » Sun May 01, 2005 3:32 pm

Thanks a lot guys. I think I'm just gonna watch EoE for now because I heard it (arguably) has a better ending than the show. The show's ending seemed too cliche for such a deep show.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sun May 01, 2005 3:35 pm

It is better to watch the Death part of D&R, then skip Rebirth (which is just the first 35 minutes of EoE), and watch EoE, ideally all in one sitting, as they (Death and EoE) are intended to go together.
Wayne wrote: The show's ending seemed too cliche for such a deep show.
Too cliche? Actually, IMHO, #26 is the most profound part of the whole series...
Last edited by Shin-seiki on Sun May 01, 2005 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 01, 2005 3:36 pm

Wayne wrote:Thanks a lot guys. I think I'm just gonna watch EoE for now because I heard it (arguably) has a better ending than the show. The show's ending seemed too cliche for such a deep show.

There are a number of brief scenes in ep#25 which the EoTV leaves completely unresolved (the glimpses of Misato, Ritsuko, Rei and Gendo in the real world). EoE shows more of what was going on outside of the head-trip.

I'd be interested to know what you felt was clichéd about it.
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Sun May 01, 2005 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sun May 01, 2005 4:03 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Actually, IMHO, #26 is the most profound part of the whole series...

26 was basically just the whole series summed up for those who didn't feel like figuring it out on their own. 'Profound' in the sense that Eva itself is profound, but it isn't really required viewing.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Wayne
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Wayne » Sun May 01, 2005 4:38 pm

Well the ending of the show seemed cliche because it it was all too happy. I find it slightly doubtful that Shinji could realize his importance in a matter of minutes. Possibly, it was that I didn't really understand the last 2 episodes. They seemed so disconnected with like episodes 18-22 because it focuses soley on one character. Just my opinion.

Where did the last episode take place anyways? Shinji was in that dark room and everyone was there, including the dead Kaji. And in the last scene of the show where everyone was like "congratulations" was really bad, because it doesn't flow well with the depressing philosophical nature of the rest of the Evangelion.

P.S. Can someone tell me what is Evangelion: First and Second Impression?

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sun May 01, 2005 6:10 pm

Dave wrote:
Shin-seiki wrote:Actually, IMHO, #26 is the most profound part of the whole series...

26 was basically just the whole series summed up for those who didn't feel like figuring it out on their own. 'Profound' in the sense that Eva itself is profound, but it isn't really required viewing.
Well, I particularly had in mind the finale "Take care of yourself", which, to me, is the most astounding 12 minutes in all anime, as it presents the mind-boggling concept of Complementation thru a truly amazing integration of dialog, music, and images. This idea was foreshadowed briefly in #20:

but it is really explicated only in #25-26 (Third Impact is, after all, both the narrative climax and thematic culmination of the story).
It is interesting how, in "Take care of yourself, the animation gets steadily cruder and, well, less animated, as the ideas that Anno is exploring get more abstract and profound:
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

I've seen a lot of people disparage this part, because the animation devolves to the point of being a bunch of sketches:
Image Image

Image Image
but I regard it as a bold attempt to illustrate an pretty abstract idea: that Shinji's mind, having shed all the restraints of physicality, has become its own universe. I applaud Anno for being ambitious enough to attempt to tackle this sort of profundity, and for respecting his audience enough to suppose that they would be able to "get" what he was try to put across here.
Last edited by Shin-seiki on Sun May 01, 2005 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Sun May 01, 2005 6:13 pm

save for a few shots, eoTV was completely mental representation. the theatre was a viewing of what Shinji was thinking - all of the characters talking about life and such - all leading to his (Shinji and anno's) break out of depression.
i saw the whole series (inc. eps 25 and 26) then watched eoe - i say that this is the best way to go because it forces eoe to be even more of a strain mentally i guess to watch (which i loved). i then got d&r and watched that - this being when i have never seen the dc eps.
aside from the dc eps extra footage, d/r also reanimates some great footage of the show with the animation of eoe (heavily amped up). this stuff being some terribly animated, yet important scenes from the show, and the second impact (great shot).
after all of this... i say watch the series (which you have) - then d/r, even rebirth, and then eoe. it just flows quite well and gives you all that you ever need to know about eva.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun May 01, 2005 6:59 pm

Shin-seiki wrote: but I regard it as a bold attempt to illustrate an pretty abstract idea: that Shinji's mind, having shed all the restraints of physicality, has become its own universe. I applaud Anno for being ambitious enough to attempt to tackle this sort of profundity, and for respecting his audience enough to suppose that they would be able to "get" what he was try to put across here.

Oh God!!! If I don't get my hands on these episodes soon I. will. crack. up!!!
*convulses*
I so get that!!!!! I NEED to see these!! I'll bet they're like those appendices in the Lord of the Rings!!! Or like Deckard's v/o in the original Blade Runner!! Everything comes into focus after seeing them!!!
Must Obtain!!!!!!!
*convulses*
My Kingdom for a torrent!!!!!!!!!
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun May 01, 2005 7:11 pm

Or you could go to BestBuy or any used video place and pay like 10-15 bucks :P

The movies cool, but not the newest thing on the shelf anymore, you can use this to your advantage. Gamestop in my local mall always has a copy or two on hand, and I got mine and the directors cuts cheap with the trade of some old PS1 games.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun May 01, 2005 7:17 pm

Gyyahhhaahhh!!! Not an option!! Unavailable!!!! Small town. No credit card!!!! Arrrgggghhhh!!!! Stupid copy!!!! Why! Why did it have to have #1-24 then EoE!!! WHY!!!!?!?!

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun May 01, 2005 7:22 pm

Do you have braud band internet? their is emule and evenif it is slow it is very good at getting me what I want.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun May 01, 2005 9:23 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:More gory details here - http://www.evamonkey.com/em_guide.htm

I love you.... :shock:

Rebirth is pointless in light of End of Eva. It is arguable whether Death can be skipped or not. On one hand, it doesn't have any plot, but on the other, it provides a proper emotional and mental framework for watching the End of Eva.

My recommendation is to watch Death and The End of Evangelion in a single sitting for the full effect.

Screw Rebirth, even if its end credits has bitchin music.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sun May 01, 2005 9:48 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:More gory details here - http://www.evamonkey.com/em_guide.htm

I love you.... :shock:

Rebirth is pointless in light of End of Eva. It is arguable whether Death can be skipped or not. On one hand, it doesn't have any plot, but on the other, it provides a proper emotional and mental framework for watching the End of Eva.

My recommendation is to watch Death and The End of Evangelion in a single sitting for the full effect.

Screw Rebirth, even if its end credits has bitchin music.

The great EM graces us with his presents.

It is debatedable if you need to watch rebirth becasue it practically is EoE.

But I like to watch it anyway
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 02, 2005 6:19 am

Wayne wrote:Well the ending of the show seemed cliche because it it was all too happy. I find it slightly doubtful that Shinji could realize his importance in a matter of minutes.

Yes, you do need to watch EoE. There you get neither the "he woke up and it had all been a bad dream" alternate reality nor the "congratulations" scene. EoTV was constrained partly by budget and partly by sponsor and network pressure when the show started to get a little heavy for something being broadcast in the early evening.

Wayne wrote:Possibly, it was that I didn't really understand the last 2 episodes. They seemed so disconnected with like episodes 18-22 because it focuses soley on one character. Just my opinion.

I shall be interested to see what you have to say after watching EoE, and how that focusses on the characters.

Wayne wrote:Where did the last episode take place anyways?

From the Literal Translation Project script for episode 25

Gendou: All the minds become one mind, obtaining peace forever.
Nothing but that.

Misato: Is that the Instrumentality of Man Project?

Ritsuko: Right.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon May 02, 2005 7:36 am

The Eva Monkey wrote: It is arguable whether Death can be skipped or not. On one hand, it doesn't have any plot, but on the other, it provides a proper emotional and mental framework for watching the End of Eva.

Nothing can prepare you for End of Evangelion. Nothing. Episode #26' has all the mental impact of seeing your cat get run over or something.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Mon May 02, 2005 9:08 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:
The Eva Monkey wrote: It is arguable whether Death can be skipped or not. On one hand, it doesn't have any plot, but on the other, it provides a proper emotional and mental framework for watching the End of Eva.

Nothing can prepare you for End of Evangelion. Nothing. Episode #26' has all the mental impact of seeing your cat get run over or something.
I tend to feel more that way more about #25', when three major characters bite the dust in space of a few minutes. By the time the whole world gets tangified in #26', I was already sort of numb from what went down before in #25'...

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Mon May 02, 2005 10:09 am

I tend to feel more that way more about #25', when three major characters bite the dust in space of a few minutes. By the time the whole world gets tangified in #26', I was already sort of numb from what went down before in #25'...

ditto. bang! boom! splodge! for Misato and stab! agghhh! fwip, fwip, fwip etc.! spludge! for Asuka. nasty

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”