GaoGaiGar

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Posts: 267
Joined: Dec 29, 2006

GaoGaiGar

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby flatulant » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:57 pm

Has anyone else seen this anime? So far I'm on episode 8 and I'm loving it.
Last edited by flatulant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Action_Bastard
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 1902
Joined: Jul 21, 2008
Location: Illinois
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Action_Bastard » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:40 pm

Hmmmm....looks like an 80s anime, but it was made in 1997. Also, the opening song is ridiculous.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Posts: 267
Joined: Dec 29, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby flatulant » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:04 pm

Even so, it's still one of the most hotblooded anime that I've ever seen.
Last edited by flatulant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel
User avatar
Posts: 347
Joined: Aug 04, 2008

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby SeanTucker » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:41 pm

It's supposed to be ridiculous. Yuusha-Oh GaoGaiGar was created with the goal of making the absolute antithesis of Evangelion; this includes dropping all pretenses of being serious and making a return to old-fashioned Super Robot silliness.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
Posts: 602
Joined: Mar 08, 2008

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby zimlord » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:19 pm

GGG is over-the-top awesome. I actually ended up buying it a little while back--just for the kickass action factor. It's just that epic. Definitely one of the top mecha anime of all time; paved the way for shows like TTGL.

Plus, killer OP.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma
User avatar
Posts: 6301
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Attending Physician - AKA: Hell
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:05 pm

Shit, this sounds awesome. And here I was thinking, I was done watching mecha anime.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Dr. Nick
Committeeman
Committeeman
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 1926
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:12 pm

SeanTucker wrote:It's supposed to be ridiculous. Yuusha-Oh GaoGaiGar was created with the goal of making the absolute antithesis of Evangelion; this includes dropping all pretenses of being serious and making a return to old-fashioned Super Robot silliness.


Did the creators actually say this, or is this just a popular fan sentiment? For what I know, Gaogaigar simply does what other shows in the Brave-metaseries have always done since way before Eva - GGG is just bigger and louder and it has more giant toy hammers.

And while the two shows are very markedly different in tone, are you bad enough dude to spot some similarities between NGE and GGG?

But yes, it's a great series if you can stomach lots of monster-of-the-week and recap episodes. In my opinion, even the early MOTW-episodes are quite good by genre standards, much better than lots of fans give them credit for. The motorcycle Zondar episode is a particular favorite of mine. And the DVD collections are amazingly cheap.

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 845
Joined: Sep 15, 2006
Location: NJ
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby honsou » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:51 pm

Funny enough i have the entire anime on VHS, i got it for free when my local anime store was moving. That was about 3 or 4 years ago, havent had a chance to watch it though.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel
User avatar
Posts: 347
Joined: Aug 04, 2008

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby SeanTucker » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:54 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:
SeanTucker wrote:It's supposed to be ridiculous. Yuusha-Oh GaoGaiGar was created with the goal of making the absolute antithesis of Evangelion; this includes dropping all pretenses of being serious and making a return to old-fashioned Super Robot silliness.


Did the creators actually say this, or is this just a popular fan sentiment? For what I know, Gaogaigar simply does what other shows in the Brave-metaseries have always done since way before Eva - GGG is just bigger and louder and it has more giant toy hammers.


I seem to remember the creators saying it, not sure on sauce. There's two things that make it a bit more plausible:

- Started broadcast about a year after Eva ended.
- Specifically avoids deconstructing any genre conventions, in particular the ones Eva deconstructed the most harshly.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma
User avatar
Posts: 23622
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Watching the world burn
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Sun May 08, 2011 10:30 pm

Ba-da-bump.

I recently finished watching this (TV series + Final) as a mental decompression device, and it served quite nicely. Then, I also enjoyed Gurren Lagann, so maybe that's why. I don't consider myself a super robot fan by any means, but I do enjoy me some fairly mindless, even repetitive kiddie-styled entertainment here and there. FINAL's later battles dragged on a bit too much, though overall I don't have many complaints. Considering how much I was reveling in brainlessness during viewing, though, this may not be saying much.

I did like that most of the robots had individual personalities, due to being implanted with AIs, instead of just being hunks of metal and wiring for angsty / hot-blooded teenagers to pilot. That the giant robots foiled my expectations in a pleasant way, however, may also not be saying much, since I didn't watch Transformers when I was little, and I'm poorly acquainted with giant robot shows in general. But, still, it was nice.

As expected, the female characters are not much to write home about... And I had my "facepalm over retarded fem-bot designs" ready in advance as soon as it was obvious what France had in store. And TenRyuJin? Honestly...

For no obvious reason, I really liked Pizza/Soldato-J. Maybe it's because Kajet's PIZZA video got me to watch this show in the first place. And because "Pizza" is such a ridiculous name for a villain -- I mean, how did they decide to name a cyborg man-bird-jet-thing after an Italian dish? (And be so stoic about it as to never once lampshade the decision in the show? I was impressed!) And maybe the bird thing has something to do with it, too. And the fact that his EI form looked like a Space Monster. And the voice that sounds like Takehito Koyasu but isn't ("You foiled my seiyuu detection system... you sexy bastard!"). And then there's that nose...

The scenes with him and Renais in FINAL, and finally getting to see behind J's mask, effortlessly activated my squee gene. It's easy to forget that I actually have one.

So, uhhh, I forget what else I wanted to say, other than that this post by Dr. Nick is awesome. And that I AM NOT PIZZA.
Last edited by Reichu on Sun May 08, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 388
Joined: Mar 26, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Alastor » Sun May 08, 2011 10:46 pm

^ I suggest seeing the sister series Betterman if you ever plan on seeing Grand Glorious Gathering, FINAL's TV cut from '05.
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma
User avatar
Posts: 23622
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Watching the world burn
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Sun May 08, 2011 11:15 pm

Betterman sounded interesting, but Grand Glorious Gathering not so much from what I read.

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 388
Joined: Mar 26, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Alastor » Sun May 08, 2011 11:36 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Betterman sounded interesting, but Grand Glorious Gathering not so much from what I read.

Eh, Grand was... okay. Using footage from the late 90's with FINAL's footage was the biggest problem.
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma
User avatar
Posts: 23622
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Watching the world burn
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Sun May 08, 2011 11:42 pm

But if I've just seen GGG and GGG:Final back to back, is there really any point in watching GGG:GGG?

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 388
Joined: Mar 26, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Alastor » Sun May 08, 2011 11:56 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:But if I've just seen GGG and GGG:Final back to back, is there really any point in watching GGG:GGG?

Foreshadowing for the unmade Project Z OVA, iirc.
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Dr. Nick
Committeeman
Committeeman
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 1926
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon May 09, 2011 3:37 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I recently finished watching this (TV series + Final) as a mental decompression device, and it served quite nicely.


Hoooly shit. I didn't expect that. Glad you liked it. Too bad there are still no non-retarded subs for FINAL, but beggars can't be choosers.

(Please please please watch the one and only subbed episode of Ginguiser next. It'll rock your world.)

I did like that most of the robots had individual personalities, due to being implanted with AIs, instead of just being hunks of metal and wiring for angsty / hot-blooded teenagers to pilot.


That's a staple of the Brave franchise. Things supposedly get really weird in shows like Goldran, where there are even robot babies.

Betterman sounded interesting, but Grand Glorious Gathering not so much from what I read.


I'm currently halfway through Betterman, and it's a pretty interesting series in that it's completely different from GGG. If I had to try to categorize it, it's like a bizarre mix of Patlabor and The X-Files. However, I fear that if Reichu tried watching it, she'd knock herself out by facepalming so hard, because Betterman tortures biology A LOT.

BTW, Reichu, I'd like to hear what you think of my "GGG is an Evangelion rip-off" argument discussed here. Could I be the next EvaXephon?

Tarnsman
Faustian Iodide
Faustian Iodide
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 1190
Joined: Apr 28, 2011
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Tarnsman » Mon May 09, 2011 4:31 am

View Original PostSeanTucker wrote:It's supposed to be ridiculous. Yuusha-Oh GaoGaiGar was created with the goal of making the absolute antithesis of Evangelion; this includes dropping all pretenses of being serious and making a return to old-fashioned Super Robot silliness.


I have no idea where this idea comes from. The Braves series had been going on before Evangelion and GaoGaiGar was simply a continuation of it. The Braves series had always been completely over the top, Brave Express Might Gaine for example had the toy studio sponsoring the show as the final boss if I recall correctly. The only difference between GaoGaiGar and the previous Braves series was that GGG was marketed more for the people who grew up on the previous series hence why FINAL is more "mature" than what you would expect from your average sell toys to kids Super Robot Show.

But yes GaoGaiGar is full of hotblooded awesome and delicious Nobuyuki Hiyama

SPOILER: Show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFYZZtnH-E
"You, sir, are the very heart of the rot that has corrupted humanity from the very beginning!" - tehprognoob
"I know that "chan" is Japanese for something like Mr. or something like that" - TSDA
"If I wanted porn without emotional damage, I'd watch Rebuild." - Azathoth
"because Evangelion and Pokemon are the same show when you really get down to it" - esselfortium
"i obviously have low standards, i liked Eva." - Seele00TextOnly

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma
User avatar
Posts: 23622
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Watching the world burn
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Mon May 09, 2011 1:06 pm

Alastor: If it's just foreshadowing the sequel that was never made, perhaps it's best if I stay far away. :3

Dr. Nick: When you say "no non-retarded subs for FINAL"... Hmm, that might have been part of the reason why I was zoning out so much during FINAL. I watched the TV series fan-subbed*, too, but those didn't seem quite as bad -- some awkward renditions here and there, but that was about it.

Will have to watch Ginguiser once I get back home... I'll report back on Betterman if I see that, as well.

Robot babies? Ummmm... as long as they as justified in-universe, I guess I'm cool with it? :uhh:

The GaoGaiGelion comparisons are mighty impressive. I'll admit that only a puny fraction of those registered in my brain while watching. Like, uh... The cores were pretty obvious, and there was that oil-guzzling Zonder that looked like Shamshel, and Guy's mom gave me vague Yui vibes, and the flashbacks under the tree by the water, and the winged, breasted giant sticking out of a planet, and... stuff. That might be worth compiling into an omake page for the Wiki one day (especially if you milked the 'satirical comparison' angle for all it's worth).

* I ORDERED THE MEDIABLASTERS DVD SETS, MY CONSCIENCE IS CLEAR!

Dr. Nick
Committeeman
Committeeman
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 1926
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:27 am

I just finished Betterman, and I'm having hard time describing it concisely. First of all, it's nothing like Gaogaigar. Gaogaigar is a pure-breed super robot show, whereas Betterman is a horror show with some robots thrown in. It's like an amalgamation of Patlabor, The X-files and Nerv's backstory bits from Eva, all tied together with Arjuna-levels of grimdark nonsense. Really, this show might as well be called Monsters and Nonsense. I had to go and check ANN's anime encyclopedia just to make sure Kawamori isn't credited as an assistant scenario writer or something. There are 14-eyed pink elephants, sentient bladders, ADHD-superpowers, and even that space baby from Ideon makes an appearance.

The main character starts out as an annoying, overenthusiastic git ("Oh god, there are bodies strewn everywhere! But that firetruck is AWESOME!"), but he gets a lot better as the plot progresses. The horror scenarios of the week are varied and oftentimes really creepy, and the main villain is genuinely chilling. Unfortunately the action sequences don't quite live up to the horror parts, as they're often both short and asspull-laden. Despite its rampant use stock footage, I thought Gaogaigar had more dynamic fights. Furthermore, and I know this is something Reichu is going to complain about, Betterman's Somnium pals get neither much character development nor action screentime. But I still definitely recommend this show to her. It's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm sure she's able to enjoy its warped anime biology to the fullest.

The bad thing is that it really makes you crave for Gaogaigar project Z.

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 14187
Joined: Jan 03, 2008
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Xard » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:30 am

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Gaogaigar is a pure-breed super robot show, whereas Betterman is a horror show with some robots thrown in. It's like an amalgamation of Patlabor, The X-files and Nerv's backstory bits from Eva, all tied together with Arjuna-levels of grimdark nonsense. Really, this show might as well be called Monsters and Nonsense. I had to go and check ANN's anime encyclopedia just to make sure Kawamori isn't credited as an assistant scenario writer or something. There are 14-eyed pink elephants, sentient bladders, ADHD-superpowers, and even that space baby from Ideon makes an appearance.


you really want to make me watch this, don't you? :lol:

The MAL picture reminds me of Aquarion...
ran1: Oh gosh this sentence gave me an internet boner. You're so tsundere.
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
And don't forget to wear the Ran mask.
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.


Return to “Anime and Manga”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests